Osmo vs Osmo+
3958 3 2017-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CaptBellio
lvl.1
Canada

I continue to be baffled by the shortcomings of the MUCH more expensive Osmo+ over that of the Osmo or Osmo Mobile.  Why is it that the Osmo comes with a lens cap and filter but the Osmo+ does not?  Of course there are other threads about how the Osmo and Osmo+ don't have the active track feature that the MUCH less expensive Osmo Mobile has.

2017-1-9
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Well the Osmo+ has the HUGE advantage of having a variable focal length lens and the ability to focus.  The Osmo Mobile is just a gimbal without a camera, so it stands to reason it's gona be much cheaper.
I do agree with you tho' it's a puzzle why the + doesn't come with a lens cap.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I would just use the old style Osmo, it's enough for me to shoot scenes.
2017-1-10
Use props
fansdbc7a0f4
New

Estonia

I've used Osmo for a year and was happy about it.

Now I've upgraded to Osmo+ and it looks like total disaster:

At first, I was disappointed by missing lens cap and by gimbal not locking in all directions like Osmo did. Osmo+ only has 2 locks.
Still, I had an impression Osmo+ does everything Osmo does, plus has a zoom and better battery. Aparently Osmo+ is not able to do what Osmo did.

When I started to use Osmo+, I discovered the following:

1. Video preview on my iPhone is lagging badly. It was always smooth with Osmo. Not with Osmo+.

2. Infinity focusing mostly gives blurry picture, even on widest angle. WIth zoom infinity focusing is always blurry. I always had perfect focus with original Osmo.

3. All videos, no matter how slow I move gimbal when panning (no walking or running involved), have a small but very annoying amount of vertical shake. It's quite noticeable even with widest angle and it's terrible with zoom. I never had shaking like this with original Osmo, it was always smooth.

I've tried to exchange Osmo+ for another, but dealer told me they can't do it. So they took my new Osmo+ and I should now wait for weeks for solution. I bought Osmo+ for using in a travel trip I'll have in 3 weeks from now and I have no idea if I'll get a replacement in this time. I regret a lot about this buy. If I only knew I can not get immediate replacement for product, than was bad right our of the box.

Now I can end up with no camera for travel. I should probably have kept old good Osmo.

My another concern is all Osmo+ are that bad comparing to original Osmo. So I may get a replacement that acts the same or get a device back with "it's all normal" verdict. All 3 issues are too different to be caused by the same problem, so it looks like bad engineering raher than bad specific device. I hope it's not the case, as if all Osmo+ are like this, they are unusable comparing to original Osmo.

2017-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules