Recommended Distance. How far away should/can I fly my drone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dharmmy
lvl.1

Nigeria

I have been flying my drone(Phantom 3 proffesional) for almost a month now, and I am about to turn off the beginner mode that restricts me to 30m flying distance as I seek to explore more. For flying height, I know the FAA recommends not to fly above 400Feet for the FLYING HEIGHT and I will keep to that and not go that high. Am not sure I want to go above 120feet really for now.  But for FLYING DISTANCE.... How far away from me can I go. I am not really looking to push the drone to its limit, but as someone about to switch off the beginner mode, how far away would you reccomend. I love all those long distance shots I see. Not like I want to fly very far away, but as a drone pilot, what advice would you give me for Flying Distance. Thanks. I live in a populated city with buildings,  etc.

2017-1-9
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

Knowing the model that you have will help make recommendations.      I would say that there are many factors that play a role in this and  as you fly you will learn them, key is go slow and enjoy the flight.
   Remember every time you change locations it will be different .
Happy Flying

2017-1-9
Use props
Dharmmy
lvl.1

Nigeria

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-9 09:17
Knowing the model that you have will help make recommendations.      I would say that there are many factors that play a role in this and  as you fly you will learn them, key is go slow and enjoy the flight.
   Remember every time you change locations it will be different .
Happy Flying

Sorry, My Model is Phantom 3 Pro.
2017-1-9
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Around three miles out. That is under good conditions.
2017-1-9
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

The FAA also recommends you keep the craft line of sight, This is due to (see and Avoid). I have been guilty of BLOS sight flying myself, in the past.  

But please ask yourself if this is worth the risk this it imposes not only to yourself but also to others...  Any time you are beyond of sight not only do you limit you're situational awareness which impedes you're ability to surrender ROW to manned aircraft,  but you also put you're bird at risk. BLOS you relying strictly on the aircrafts internal instruments... One compass error and you are SOL.

Make sure you understand the risk you are taking, don't be that guy that fly's BLOS loses his aircraft and then wants to blame DJI.. Just search the forums and you'll realize that 95% of so called fly always all have one common denominator..... And that is that the  bird was BLOS when it happened.

Safe flying
2017-1-10
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

There is no good answer to that question.  Certainly, the Phantom can fly several miles out.  But you say you are in a city with tall buildings.  That means, unless you fly very high, you will probably lose the radio signal, and the Phantom, behind a tall building.  Don't count on the rth feature to save you.  The P3 Pro will not avoid any obstacle in its way during rth.  It will just ascend to the programmed rth height and make a beeline for home.  If a building is in the way, oh well.  So, what it comes down to is, how far are you comfortable with?  Stay within your comfort limits.  FAA recommends you also stay within direct line of sight at all times.  The limits are up to you.
Have fun...
2017-1-10
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

I second what he said ^
One of the scariest  things that happens to you when flying is getting a compass error 700+ meters out (BVLOS) and having your bird switch to atti mode. Suddenly you're FLYING 100% hands on and you cant see the damm thing.
2017-1-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-1-10 00:11
There is no good answer to that question.  Certainly, the Phantom can fly several miles out.  But you say you are in a city with tall buildings.  That means, unless you fly very high, you will probably lose the radio signal, and the Phantom, behind a tall building.  Don't count on the rth feature to save you.  The P3 Pro will not avoid any obstacle in its way during rth.  It will just ascend to the programmed rth height and make a beeline for home.  If a building is in the way, oh well.  So, what it comes down to is, how far are you comfortable with?  Stay within your comfort limits.  FAA recommends you also stay within direct line of sight at all times.  The limits are up to you.
Have fun...

"FAA recommends you also stay within direct line of sight at all times"

The FAA can recommend anything they want but their authority doesn't extend across the Atlantic Ocean.
2017-1-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's probably good working practice to keep it in view all the time, this will save some grief perhaps if the display locks up or crashes, or you can't see it because of Sunlight. You always have control through the RC. And if you can see it you will get home safely. Also makes it easier to avoid other flying objects
2017-1-10
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-10 00:54

The FAA can recommend anything they want but their authority doesn't extend across the Atlantic Ocean.

I never said it did.  It is a good guideline though.
2017-1-10
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

As a newbie, if I'm out in the open field and I know there are no buildings, trees, power lines, then I will stretch it out as far as it will go. I use Litchi and have sent it out beyond 1 miles and back. Now in a big city, forget it. Too much risk. I would do visual range only.
2017-1-10
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-10 00:54

Since the OP mentioned the FAA in the post, it is clear that he is in the US and not across an ocean where the FAA absolutely has the authority.
2017-1-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jetpilot Posted at 2017-1-10 13:22
Since the OP mentioned the FAA in the post, it is clear that he is in the US and not across an ocean where the FAA absolutely has the authority.

The OP is from Nigeria - a long way from FAA land
2017-1-10
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-10 13:26
The OP is from Nigeria - a long way from FAA land

I stand corrected.  In that case, fly anyway you want and consider yourself free of the oppression...lol
2017-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules