Welcome all Australian DJI flyers away from FB...
123Next >
7331 84 2017-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A rare day of no wind, low heat level, no flies, no crashes, nobody around...that I saw

Waterhole, Numeralla River NSW

Waterhole, Numeralla River NSW
2017-1-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2017-1-22 19:34
Hey Punchbuggy, like the avatar, next step a skin perhaps?

I hope so. I've already proposed a Vegemite themed P4, like the Chinese New Year one.  

And just in time for Australia Day is the news that Vegemite has now been bought (literally) back on-shore. Bega Cheese are the new owners. Yay! Ozzi Ozzi Ozzi!
2017-1-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2017-1-22 20:01
A rare day of no wind, low heat level, no flies, no crashes, nobody around...that I saw

Nice photo, but admit I had to look up where that was. Near Cooma...
A tip I learnt in getting the horizon straight - turn grid lines on, then go into Settings\Gimbal settings\Adjust Gimbal Roll. That opens a little window which you can leave on the screen and adjust the horizon on the fly to match the grid line by tapping left or right. Yes, I know that there's a trick with C2, but I find this visual way easier.
2017-1-22
Use props
Porkhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417 ft
Australia

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-1-18 19:58
and choice.

FB is not appealing at all to some of us for various reasons.

Sorry for the delay.I am using P3S
2017-1-26
Use props
Porkhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417 ft
Australia

Porkhunt Posted at 2017-1-26 22:44
Sorry for the delay.I am using P3S

Hence the nametag!
2017-1-26
Use props
eldred
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81545 ft
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2017-1-15 11:52
Good idea for Australia Day.

However, be careful as I believe CASSA  like the UK CAA don't allow anything to be suspended from Drones.  May be worth checking with them unless you are going to be filming in the outback bush

You can hang on what you like, no C of A, RAA reg or such things to worry about. Its dropping things from drones that can be the issue.
2017-1-29
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69 ft
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-22 20:46
Nice photo, but admit I had to look up where that was. Near Cooma...
A tip I learnt in getting the horizon straight - turn grid lines on, then go into Settings\Gimbal settings\Adjust Gimbal Roll. That opens a little window which you can leave on the screen and adjust the horizon on the fly to match the grid line by tapping left or right. Yes, I know that there's a trick with C2, but I find this visual way easier.

What's the trick with C2? I've had problems with tilted horizon. I adjusted it in DJI Go but use Litchi to fly which did not seem to implement the setting.
2017-1-30
Use props
Laperouse
lvl.1

Australia

FlyLight Posted at 2017-1-15 00:22
Hi from Hobart. Pro photographer, RC flyer for 35 years – no, I'm not old, just started young ;-)  

Had to learn flying mode 2 which took a bit of work for my 45-year-old brain, but decided to make the transition since it seems most drone flyers fly this way (and it made more sense having flown full-size heli's a bit)

P3A owner from Canberra.

One of the reasons I bought is also remote area photography/video. Main issue for me right now is how to recharge the batteries. Do you use a small inverter?
2017-1-31
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Euc Posted at 2017-1-30 23:31
What's the trick with C2? I've had problems with tilted horizon. I adjusted it in DJI Go but use Litchi to fly which did not seem to implement the setting.

Options for use of C1 and C2 are at the discretion of the developer. In the case of DJI, pressing C2 with use of the rotary dial on that side is suppose to adjust the horizon. That doesn't work reliaby for me, but turning on the grid lines and having the 'adjust gimbal' window open gives me absolute control in the moment.
But it's whatever works best for you.
2017-1-31
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-31 02:35
Options for use of C1 and C2 are at the discretion of the developer. In the case of DJI, pressing C2 with use of the rotary dial on that side is suppose to adjust the horizon. That doesn't work reliaby for me, but turning on the grid lines and having the 'adjust gimbal' window open gives me absolute control in the moment.
But it's whatever works best for you.

Thanks. I will check the Litchi menu for gimbal adjust.
2017-1-31
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Laperouse Posted at 2017-1-31 01:13
P3A owner from Canberra.

One of the reasons I bought is also remote area photography/video. Main issue for me right now is how to recharge the batteries. Do you use a small inverter?

Search the DJI Store. If you have a bit more cash an additional charging hub is handy.
2017-1-31
Use props
Philbo
New

Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2017-1-12 03:15
If we are able to get enough participants then will be great forum.

Gooday guys!
I'm brand new but having issues with neighbour. Sticky beaks don't like a bit back even though they don't even enter my frame (pun intended).
I have been in conversation with CASA by email and phone and have it all sorted as to what I can do on my property (just 1 acre).
I am very enthusiastic about this but haven't flown since Xmas day due to the problems above. I was confused also about the 5.5km exclusion zone around aerodromes but I have that sorted too.
I want to be seen as a keen flier not as a stick in the mud but I have to say flying via waypoints isnt allowed currently unless on your own property or in a commercial fashion with proper authority. Using goggles (which I would like to try) is allowed but indoors only. that is my understanding. Happy to be corrected.
I have two P3s; 1xpro and 1xadv. Although I picked up the pro cheap because the former owner had the retailer replace his wonky 4k camera with a 1080p Advanced camera. so it is really an Advanced P3.
I might replace that camera but really I can't see myself wanting to deal in 4K at this time.
cheers guys, gotta an appointment.
phil
2017-1-31
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Euc Posted at 2017-1-31 02:42
Thanks. I will check the Litchi menu for gimbal adjust.

Sadly, I can't see that same option in Litchi. I don't think they've implemented it.
2017-1-31
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Euc Posted at 2017-1-31 02:42
Search the DJI Store. If you have a bit more cash an additional charging hub is handy.

I ordered one of these.
They seem OK by most reports.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mavic ... :g:cqwAAOSwZQRYYd1X
2017-1-31
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Philbo Posted at 2017-1-31 15:13
Gooday guys!
I'm brand new but having issues with neighbour. Sticky beaks don't like a bit back even though they don't even enter my frame (pun intended).
I have been in conversation with CASA by email and phone and have it all sorted as to what I can do on my property (just 1 acre).

Philbo I have 40 ha and the next store neighbour asked whether it was my drone flying over her house. house is >400 m away & I have been careful to make sure any flights are within my boundary. Wonderful thing imagination. Anyhow have involved them in discussions including offering to overfly if they'd like. Problem temporarily averted.
2017-1-31
Use props
FlyLight
lvl.2

Australia

Laperouse,

I got the Mavic Fly More kit which came with a car charger and hub. Works well enough .

I have 3 batts. I think I'd need 4 or 5 batts to keep up with charge rate if I was shooting all day and car charging. Have only done one job like that so far. Started charging first battery straight after flight. Wasn't fully charged by the time I'd flattened all 3, so left the ignition on and went fishing for 30 mins while I waited for first flat battery to charge.

Mind you, it was only 4 degrees so flight times were reduced somewhat!
2017-2-1
Use props
FlyLight
lvl.2

Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2017-1-22 20:01

Makes me miss home! I grew up in Cooma and fished the Numeralla a bit, though for trout not carp back then!
2017-2-1
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-31 17:27
Sadly, I can't see that same option in Litchi. I don't think they've implemented it.

"Sadly, I can't see that same option in Litchi. I don't think they've implemented it."
Sort of found it: I set C2 key to gimal/yaw adjust. I held in C2 (is it "C"?) and moved the associated wheel. It did adjust 1 notch but that was it. I'll play around with it later.
2017-2-5
Use props
chapperman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48274 ft
Australia

Hi everyone.

Stumbled on this forum and great to see aussie experiences being shared amongst local enthusiasts.

I'm a 60 yo retired 'Grey Nomad' who doesn't own and has never flown a drone.  A couple of years ago my wife and I started to spend some time travelling around our country in our caravan and have been absolutely amazed and some of the spectacular scenery so close to home. Whilst I've tried to capture photos of some of our travels I envy those of you who have the skills and equipment to capture much more especially since we plan on spending some time in Tassie later this year.

So here I am thinking about dipping my toe into your world.

I spent a fair amount of time trolling through DJI Facebook forums and YouTube video etc. and find myself looking at Phantom 4's and Mavic Pros. They're expensive but they seem to have features that would be useful for my use (especially obstacle avoidance).

I live in southern Sydney and would be interested in any thoughts you might like to offer in terms of recommendations (models, where to buy, things to consider etc etc)

Thanks in advance
2017-2-12
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

chapperman Posted at 2017-2-12 15:27
Hi everyone.

Stumbled on this forum and great to see aussie experiences being shared amongst local enthusiasts.

I have flown RC planes intermittently for a long time. In my experience you don't have to fly these things and if you do, let go of the stick and it will sit there. The steep learning curve is the setup side of things, coming to grips with sotware, terms, settings etc. For free flight, if you have not flown RC before, then it is getting your hand and directional coordination in and keeping the panic down as much as possible.
I use a flight program called Litchi. I can pre-program a flight including altitude, speed, direction, point the camera at...then come back home and hover above me (they will self land as well) so my input is press play...It takes off by itself, does it's programmed flight, video and or photos and comes back and hovers 10m above me. I then lower it down to 2m, hang on to the leg with one hand and pull the throttle stick down with the other. Though hand catching is not recommended by DJI.
Free flight is relatively easy since they are stable without input and will keep their altitude while you fly around. Good luck, you will be pleased in getting one....after you have gotten over the whole setup, terminology and software glitches thing. But everyone here is happy to help.
I have a DJI Phantom 4. These have gotten a bit cheaper since the release of the Phantom 4 Pro. I am really happy with mine and have no thought of upgrading at this time. I bought mine from Johnny Appleseed GPS (online). I have dealt with them for a long time and they have always provided good service. Though there are plenty of people here who know more than me.
2017-2-12
Use props
chapperman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48274 ft
Australia

Euc Posted at 2017-2-12 18:03
I have flown RC planes intermittently for a long time. In my experience you don't have to fly these things and if you do, let go of the stick and it will sit there. The steep learning curve is the setup side of things, coming to grips with sotware, terms, settings etc. For free flight, if you have not flown RC before, then it is getting your hand and directional coordination in and keeping the panic down as much as possible.
I use a flight program called Litchi. I can pre-program a flight including altitude, speed, direction, point the camera at...then come back home and hover above me (they will self land as well) so my input is press play...It takes off by itself, does it's programmed flight, video and or photos and comes back and hovers 10m above me. I then lower it down to 2m, hang on to the leg with one hand and pull the throttle stick down with the other. Though hand catching is not recommended by DJI.
Free flight is relatively easy since they are stable without input and will keep their altitude while you fly around. Good luck, you will be pleased in getting one....after you have gotten over the whole setup, terminology and software glitches thing. But everyone here is happy to help.

Thanks Euc. I went out and bought Phantom 4 with extra battery and backpack this afternoon from Costco $1,649. Charging batteries up tonight and looking through tutorials. Appreciate your comments.

I am a little concerned because I have a Samsung s7 as my device and I've read there could be some compatibility problems between device and controller. I'm not wanting to go out and spend more $s for a tablet or iPhone.

Thanks again
2017-2-13
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

chapperman Posted at 2017-2-13 02:18
Thanks Euc. I went out and bought Phantom 4 with extra battery and backpack this afternoon from Costco $1,649. Charging batteries up tonight and looking through tutorials. Appreciate your comments.

I am a little concerned because I have a Samsung s7 as my device and I've read there could be some compatibility problems between device and controller. I'm not wanting to go out and spend more $s for a tablet or iPhone.

If you have a problem start a new thread. I have a Samsung Tab S2. I have never had a problem with it (other than having to pull and reinsert the USB sometimes).  Someone else on another thread did have trouble with a Tab S2 but he gave up. Don't know why he had a problem. Give it a go. After you install DJI Go and start up with your drone you will get a message asking if you want to make it default. I would choose no in case you end up using other software (like Litchi).
There are also a few other things you need to do before flight. Calibrate the compass and IMU for starters. Others will know more than me.
PS Congratulations!
2017-2-13
Use props
JAY45
New
Australia

HI FOLKS PLS HELP I HAVE JUST GOT P2VISION +AND TRYING TO CONNECT TO MY MAC TO CHECK THE RANGES ANY HELP OR LINKS I WOULD BE GRATEFUL THX JAY
2017-3-4
Use props
JAY45
New
Australia

HI FOLKS PLS HELP I HAVE JUST GOT P2VISION +AND TRYING TO CONNECT TO MY MAC TO CHECK THE RANGES ANY HELP OR LINKS I WOULD BE GRATEFUL THX JAY
2017-3-4
Use props
sridgway
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145344 ft
Australia

Hi based in QLD, my first Phantom was a P2 Vision, now own a P4 which I use for photography.
2017-3-6
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275817 ft
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2017-1-22 19:34
Hey Punchbuggy, like the avatar, next step a skin perhaps?

I was thinking he should include a can of VB there in lieu of a vegemite which isn't Australian anymore?
2017-5-17
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tim the Toolman Posted at 2017-5-17 15:40
I was thinking he should include a can of VB there in lieu of a vegemite which isn't Australian anymore?

Wasn't Bega Cheese going to buy Vegemite back at the start of the year?
Hard keeping track of who owns what these days.
2017-5-17
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109281 ft
Australia

Hi all
Based in Toowoomba with a P4P. Unfortunately, it's had a break in hospital, but has arrived back in time for the inclement weather. Oh well, good weather next week, so out to the farm and try it out again. The aim is a little rural/outback photography, but more importantly working on docos with a friend.

I'm really enjoying the forum and some of the useful info including Cabansails RePL feedback. The FB group is good as well, but I'm starting to get some concerns with that platform so will probably delete it.

Cheers
2017-5-18
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

Bootspike Posted at 2017-5-18 02:32
Hi all
Based in Toowoomba with a P4P. Unfortunately, it's had a break in hospital, but has arrived back in time for the inclement weather. Oh well, good weather next week, so out to the farm and try it out again. The aim is a little rural/outback photography, but more importantly working on docos with a friend.

I got shown my first DJI by an Agent in Toowoomba who finally convinced me to get one.  Glad I did, he made it look very easy.  Now flying the Mavic and it goes with me everywhere on my travels
2017-5-29
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

Can someone please explain to me the best way to show photos and videos here as I am having trouble trying to upload?  Many thanks in advance
2017-5-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Tim the Toolman Posted at 2017-5-29 18:21
Can someone please explain to me the best way to show photos and videos here as I am having trouble trying to upload?  Many thanks in advance

Most people first upload to something like Youtube or Dropbox etc and then add the link to their post.
2017-5-29
Use props
TheHammer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 276001 ft
Australia

Hi, New to fairdinkum droning. Had helicopters , crashed them all , In The House,, he he ha, moved on to a small parrot, crashed it every where , unhappy with the camera on it so rigged up my own . So I finally bought a Mavic pro and joined a club at home and have learnt so much from these guys and girls..cheers to all and happy flying.
IMG_3361.JPG
2017-6-1
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-29 22:24
Most people first upload to something like Youtube or Dropbox etc and then add the link to their post.

Many thanks.  God surely must be an easier way!  Don't know how I fluked my first effort?
2017-6-8
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

TheHammer Posted at 2017-6-1 01:38
Hi, New to fairdinkum droning. Had helicopters , crashed them all , In The House,, he he ha, moved on to a small parrot, crashed it every where , unhappy with the camera on it so rigged up my own . So I finally bought a Mavic pro and joined a club at home and have learnt so much from these guys and girls..cheers to all and happy flying.

Hey Hammer, did you take the risk and fly the Mavic out over the water on the day you took that magnificent selfy?  I still get the shakes when I fly over water and not sure why, but still get very nervous!
2017-6-8
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Awesome to see a bit of Oz activity in the forum
2017-6-22
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

Did anyone catch the Channel 7 news article on Drones last night (Sunday 25 June)?

Was very interesting and I note on the Professional Licensed Drone Pilot's page last night they were saying "yeah but not everyone has a drone built by DJI!" referring to the fact that we seem to be the safest hobbyist pilots due to the way GO 4 assists with No-fly zones and properly using the drone.
2017-6-25
Use props
MDL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23091 ft
Australia

Hello from Toowoomba QLD. just got myself a Mavic Pro. Less than a week old and having issues with the vps. Trying to confirm if it's faulty inside the 7 days of purchase.
2017-6-27
Use props
HecticPancakes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 598156 ft

Australia

Hopefully that would b great
2017-7-18
Use props
Mick Bradley
lvl.1
Australia

Hi real beginer here have a P3S great to see an Aus forum any help or tips much would be greatfully accepted
2017-7-26
Use props
Phillbo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3599 ft
Australia

Hi all,
Located north of Brissy and just picked up a P3S. Not new to RC (have around 15 largish warbirds and edf's) but this is my first drone. Any tips or mods I should know about?

Cheers,

Phill
2017-10-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules