Osmo Mobile - PowerBank/Action Cam mod
2678 5 2017-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
giggidditygiggi
lvl.2
United States

Just wanted to post this wip that I started back in November using an action camera with the osmo mobile as well the usb power bank as a support stand.  I'm still awaiting for my Zoom H2N to see how it will all come together.  In the meantime the built in audio of the action camera is surprisingly good (notice the small grey-foam-insert windshield, in terms of audio recording in stereo surrounding environment.  Added the rode videomicro for vlogging purpose (the litte red jack awaiting for the h2n to be mounted on the upper bracket).

web_ActionCamMount_v1.jpg
web_BatteryPackStand.jpg
2017-1-10
Use props
rdvid
lvl.2

Netherlands

interessting
2017-1-11
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting approach and thanks for sharing as it's sparking a few ideas.  My challenge is how to provide more power to an iphone to overcome the rapid battery drain of videoing within the physical constraints of the osmo mobile
2017-1-11
Use props
giggidditygiggi
lvl.2
United States

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-11 02:55
Interesting approach and thanks for sharing as it's sparking a few ideas.  My challenge is how to provide more power to an iphone to overcome the rapid battery drain of videoing within the physical constraints of the osmo mobile

A coiled-springy usb cord to power the iphone I guess is what I would use if I wanted to use a phone on it, as it will allow some flex for the gimbal.  My phone (Moto X Pure - with a banana curve) started to work with the app after the last update but full recording kills it in about a hour (without the battery bank),  so I decided on this budget build/dedicated camera option.   I just picked up a pair of 10,000 mah usb battery banks at my local bestbuy that was selling them for about $20 that is a lot slimmer than that old 12k mah anker up above.

I did a semi-torture test where I left it on recording constant for little over 3hrs usage that only tapped about 1/3rd of the battery but almost filled the 64gb card at 1080p/60fps.  Nice knowing once the battery bank dies that the gimbal and camera are at full juice (or just pop in a spare since it's cheap).

2017-1-11
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

giggidditygiggi Posted at 2017-1-11 06:48
A coiled-springy usb cord to power the iphone I guess is what I would use if I wanted to use a phone on it, as it will allow some flex for the gimbal.  My phone (Moto X Pure - with a banana curve) started to work with the app after the last update but full recording kills it in about a hour (without the battery bank),  so I decided on this budget build/dedicated camera option.   I just picked up a pair of 10,000 mah usb battery banks at my local bestbuy that was selling them for about $20 that is a lot slimmer than that old 12k mah anker up above.

I did a semi-torture test where I left it on recording constant for little over 3hrs usage that only tapped about 1/3rd of the battery but almost filled the 64gb card at 1080p/60fps.  Nice knowing once the battery bank dies that the gimbal and camera are at full juice (or just pop in a spare since it's cheap).

Sounds like good performance.  The challenge with the iPhone 6S plus is that the lightning port sits tight up to the end rubber buffer to balance so without additional weights there's no way of plugging anything in.  For the 5S there's a small gap so will look for a right angled cable like you suggest.
2017-1-11
Use props
giggidditygiggi
lvl.2
United States

Aptly named the Thor mod because carrying this around will certainly work your biceps!  And is ambidextrous in holding the osmo mobile from the front or the rear.

So here is my crazy rig of everything I wanted on the osmo mobile that I began to work on from last November after realzing the shortcomings of using a dedicated phone.I am working on a simpler version after realizing how impractical taking this on trips would be (I still think it is completely fine for my workshop-studio recording).  I 3D printed the jig to hold the camera, counterweight with 2 AA batteries, and the cellphone/battery holder.

The rig is completely modular and just takes minutes to break down.

1) A viewing monitor aka cellphone w/usb powerbank which slides on a mounting bracket and works via wifi to the camera as a live feed.

2) 3 port usb-battery bank powering up the osmo, camera, digital audio recorder H2N.
3) A Rode videomicro for vlogging (can work just with the H2N-a bit too powerful, but the rode is handy as mini shotgun mic)

I did see how this attracted way more attention than I wanted after strolling through a high traffic tourist area and recording.  So now I'm already making a thinner and stealthier version that I can also take along to trips after that experience lol.

Osmo Mobile Thor Mod - 2017-01-23

Osmo Mobile Thor Mod - 2017-01-23
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules