Plugging my phone into the controller...
8428 16 2017-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

Hey guy,

Just wondering what this acually does?  Have not been able to find to much out about it.

Does this take the place of the linking of the remote and the phone?  Is it a better way to go?

Thanks

Chris

2017-1-10
Use props
vancitybc2010
New
United States

I actually have the same question so if someone could clarify this that would be awesome. I have an Iphone and it looks like some people have purchased a lightning to micro-usb cord to connect the phone to the controller but not sure why this is necessary if you can connect via wifi.  
2017-1-10
Use props
P3S hun
lvl.1
Flight distance : 129344 ft
Hungary

As far as I know, it isn't possible to transfer any kind of data through the micro usb port on the remote. You could get a usb-otg cable for your android phone and connect it to the remote, but all it would do is charge the remote with the phone's battery, which wouldn't make a lot of sense.
2017-1-11
Use props
rjsimmons
lvl.1
United States

Good question.  I had wondered the same when I registered my a/c.  Also, I ended up purchasing an additional wire in order to connect my phone to the r/c.  Any speculation on why DJI did not include one with the kit?
2017-1-11
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

rjsimmons Posted at 2017-1-11 05:53
Good question.  I had wondered the same when I registered my a/c.  Also, I ended up purchasing an additional wire in order to connect my phone to the r/c.  Any speculation on why DJI did not include one with the kit?

That is because the USB cable between the mobile device and the controller won't do anything on the P3S. As everything communicates by WiFi. So why should they include a cable that won't do anything for you?
2017-1-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your Standard connects via wifi and the cable is only used (rarely if ever) to connect your Phantom to a computer.
The manual should explain this:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... al_v1.4_en_0112.pdf
2017-1-11
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-11 06:41
Your Standard connects via wifi and the cable is only used (rarely if ever) to connect your Phantom to a computer.
The manual should explain this:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/en/Phantom_3_Standard_User_Manual_v1.4_en_0112.pdf

That isn't the same cable as the one from the mobile device to the controller. They were talking about a microUSB to microUSB cable.
2017-1-11
Use props
rjsimmons
lvl.1
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-11 06:39
That is because the USB cable between the mobile device and the controller won't do anything on the P3S. As everything communicates by WiFi. So why should they include a cable that won't do anything for you?

Good to know.  Did not catch that in the manual.
2017-1-11
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

i do not think it's mean for the phone, perhaps u can do updates and other maintenance with a usb stick with firmware and such on it?  Or some diags through the pc? On advanced and pro, or higher models what can use lightbridge, one of the ports is used to actually send data and video fpv feed to you mobile device, but on standard i have no idea....
And you guys seem to be talking standard, right?
2017-1-11
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

On the P3S, communications between the controller and mobile device is only WiFi. The USB cable that is supplied can be used for charging the controller, downloading media from the camera, or making firmware changes to the drone.
2017-1-14
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

drb1215 Posted at 2017-1-14 10:21
On the P3S, communications between the controller and mobile device is only WiFi. The USB cable that is supplied can be used for charging the controller, downloading media from the camera, or making firmware changes to the drone.

You have it down for the most part, except for the FW part. Good job for a Beginner, some of the other posters are a bit lost. On the FW, that's via wifi also with the Standard, no wire needed.
2017-1-14
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-14 10:49
You have it down for the most part, except for the FW part. Good job for a Beginner, some of the other posters are a bit lost. On the FW, that's via wifi also with the Standard, no wire needed.

I should have stated if fw upgrades fail via WiFi that it is possible to upgrade via USB connected to a computer. Is that not correct?

Thanks,
Dan by
2017-1-14
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

drb1215 Posted at 2017-1-14 17:09
I should have stated if fw upgrades fail via WiFi that it is possible to upgrade via USB connected to a computer. Is that not correct?

Thanks,

No, not really. The backdoor way is to put the FW's bin file on the SC card, but not via a cable. I guess you could, but everyone I know pulls the card and uses a card reader on their computer system to copy the file, then inserts it into the gimbal.
2017-1-14
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

The USB on the controller is only for charging.

the USB on the camera is for the video and pictures

the USB on the front is for getting logs
2017-1-14
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The P3s does not own a light bridge,it has a WIFI-link only to the phone(tablet)
2017-1-21
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

YOU CANNOT UPDATE FW VIA CABLE !!!

I will repeat that without shouting now ... You cannot update FW by cable ....

You have only two ways to update FW on the Standard :

a) By the WiFi Go App and that is messy but means swapping Home WiFi and P3 WiFi to do it ... it is THE official way and updates BOTH RC and AC

b) By SD Card into the camera ... but needs care as to do both RC and AC needs careful setup ... you can end up with the typical RC not connecting to AC ... there are hundreds of posts of people who have suffered this after following Youtube videos !!

One word of advice ..... When the FW is updated via WiFi and Go App .... it will write a file to the SD card .... DO NOT DELETE this ... it is used to update the batterys FW when you insert a new or different battery.

There is a lot of rubbish posted about formatting cards etc. - unless your card is not recognised DO NOT FORMAT !!

Over time a lot of misinformation has built up and gets perpetuated by frequent repeats ... till it becomes 'true' ..... its not !! Sadly - mostly repeated by long term members who need to reassess ...

Nigel
2017-1-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-1-21 10:30
YOU CANNOT UPDATE FW VIA CABLE !!!

I will repeat that without shouting now ... You cannot update FW by cable ....

'There is a lot of rubbish posted about formatting cards etc. - unless your card is not recognised DO NOT FORMAT !! '

Would you like to explain why? Apart from anything else, if the card is not recognised by the aircraft, you cannot format it anyway.

Formatting is a good way to manage the contents of the SD card. Apart from the storage used for photos and video files, the aircraft writes a lot of lengthy files to hidden directories on the card, and it will fill up quite quickly while at the same time, leaving the owner puzzled as to where the storage went. Formatting clears all the files and re-initialises the directories, leaving the SD card with the maximum space for storing material, and it does absolutely no harm to do so.
2017-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules