Soft edges?
1641 11 2017-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mraz565
lvl.1
Flight distance : 156509 ft
United States

Everything in the center seems to be in focus, but both edges are slightly blurry? Or is this just how it should be?

http://i.imgur.com/f54tEQU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LSG3gwU.jpg

]
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please upload the original images to dropbox or wetransfer?
I'll help to check it.
2017-1-10
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

As a photographer that is normal aberrations vinetting it even happens on certain lenses, I am not surprise it will happen to the mavic pro lenses but if your not happy your free to send it back or have DJI give their diagnostic. This kind of effect happens on wide angle lenses the only time you dont see this happening is in lenses with high quality glass with flourinite coating, the 15mm fisheye lens of canon does not have this out of focus on the corner aberration, but you have another type of aberration which is distortion. I have a 28-105 lens of canon and when I shoot in 28 mm it gives the same effect same effect that the mavic does, I have the same problem too with the mavic on mine if you put the mavic pro on level flat surface hold a card at a certain distance and put the gimbal of the mavic staight dead on you would see it will be focus at a certain distance the whole frame. But as you tilt the camera the way the light enters in the lense the image it will have an out of focus on the corners.
Vacation Dom Rep97.jpg
2017-1-10
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

watuse Posted at 2017-1-10 23:53
As a photographer that is normal aberrations vinetting it even happens on certain lenses, I am not surprise it will happen to the mavic pro lenses but if your not happy your free to send it back or have DJI give their diagnostic. This kind of effect happens on wide angle lenses the only time you dont see this happening is in lenses with high quality glass with flourinite coating, the 15mm fisheye lens of canon does not have this out of focus on the corner aberration, but you have another type of aberration which is distortion. I have a 28-105 lens of canon and when I shoot in 28 mm it gives the same effect same effect that the mavic does, I have the same problem too with the mavic on mine if you put the mavic pro on level flat surface hold a card at a certain distance and put the gimbal of the mavic staight dead on you would see it will be focus at a certain distance the whole frame. But as you tilt the camera the way the light enters in the lense the image it will have an out of focus on the corners.

I am a photographer as well, and I can tell you, based on the first picture, the lens/sensor has serious issues.  Everyone expects a bit of softness or CA at the corners, but what is happening on the right side in that picture is a defect.  I have looked at very many pictures from the Mavic, and some people have perfect images.  In fact, the edges can be quite sharp.

I have an issue myself on my Mavic which I sent back for this very same reason, and I bet it has to do with how the lens is calibrated to the sensor.  When one part is focused on, the left of right edge is not in focus.  Then when you focus on that part, the rest is not in focus.  What is obvious about doing this though is that the edges of the lens are very sharp, its just that the lens is more than likely not perfectly aligned with the sensor so it can't get it all in one shot.
2017-1-11
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Stewie Griffin Posted at 2017-1-11 07:17
I am a photographer as well, and I can tell you, based on the first picture, the lens/sensor has serious issues.  Everyone expects a bit of softness or CA at the corners, but what is happening on the right side in that picture is a defect.  I have looked at very many pictures from the Mavic, and some people have perfect images.  In fact, the edges can be quite sharp.

I have an issue myself on my Mavic which I sent back for this very same reason, and I bet it has to do with how the lens is calibrated to the sensor.  When one part is focused on, the left of right edge is not in focus.  Then when you focus on that part, the rest is not in focus.  What is obvious about doing this though is that the edges of the lens are very sharp, its just that the lens is more than likely not perfectly aligned with the sensor so it can't get it all in one shot.

did you try an IMU calibration and then a gimbal calibration that sort of fix the problem I had the same issues too and it got fix with a gimbal calibration and an IMU make sure the place your doing the calibration is leveled Stewie, if that does not fix the problem send it to DJI have them check it send them images on a disk or the link where they could download the image but insist strongly that you wan this fix. if you have the dJi care you are allow to have it replace also because this could be a manufacturing problem also that the camera has a defect. I had a defect on one of the folding arms which the cable was kinking and bending and in the end it fail on me 17 days later with the mavic they repair it and they did a great job, but if you don't have the dji care make sure you insist that this is a manufacture  problem because I also too have seen this problem....
2017-1-11
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bearing in mind the mavic lens is fixed at F2.2, that's a pretty shallow FOV. I also take a few photos here and there and when I shoot my primes at that aperture the background is very blown out blurred.
2017-1-11
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

watuse Posted at 2017-1-11 09:43
did you try an IMU calibration and then a gimbal calibration that sort of fix the problem I had the same issues too and it got fix with a gimbal calibration and an IMU make sure the place your doing the calibration is leveled Stewie, if that does not fix the problem send it to DJI have them check it send them images on a disk or the link where they could download the image but insist strongly that you wan this fix. if you have the dJi care you are allow to have it replace also because this could be a manufacturing problem also that the camera has a defect. I had a defect on one of the folding arms which the cable was kinking and bending and in the end it fail on me 17 days later with the mavic they repair it and they did a great job, but if you don't have the dji care make sure you insist that this is a manufacture  problem because I also too have seen this problem....

Yup.. they had me to the IMU calibrations and all that jazz and nothing worked so it got sent in.  Still waiting for any reply, and its been a week now.
2017-1-11
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

UltraDan Posted at 2017-1-11 10:18
Bearing in mind the mavic lens is fixed at F2.2, that's a pretty shallow FOV. I also take a few photos here and there and when I shoot my primes at that aperture the background is very blown out blurred.

In the case of this lens, which is for a tiny sensor, the shallow DOF isn't really a problem, both because the lens is actually about 5mm, and because the subjects are so far away when up in the air.  I am focusing on stuff that is at least several hundred feet away, so there is no way that parts of the frame could be out of focus based on a shallow depth of field.
2017-1-11
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Stewie Griffin Posted at 2017-1-11 11:29
In the case of this lens, which is for a tiny sensor, the shallow DOF isn't really a problem, both because the lens is actually about 5mm, and because the subjects are so far away when up in the air.  I am focusing on stuff that is at least several hundred feet away, so there is no way that parts of the frame could be out of focus based on a shallow depth of field.

you have to bear mind also the shutter speed and the iso your using I have shot video where the subject is focused but as the mavic is doing the point of interest on that subject the rest is blurring out... here is an example of what could go out of focus Head towards the 9:05 min marker I was shooting I think at iso 400 or more and -1 stop EV I cannot remember the shutter if it was 400 or more but still when I got home and saw the footage I was like damn its soft focus on the outer point of the circle but the subject was focus.
2017-1-11
Use props
Mraz565
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-10 22:47
Could you please upload the original images to dropbox or wetransfer?
I'll help to check it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb9qabvf26dqpxo/mavic2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kd9ghqozzdibw3r/mavictest1.png?dl=0

Here is also the footage unedited, if that helps any.

2017-1-11
Use props
Mraz565
lvl.1
United States

I am by no means experienced with photography, much less flying a drone. This is something to play with/just to get me out of my house.

I have center focus bound to C1, which is what I used for hitting the record button.

If I have to deal with slight blurriness on the edge, ill just crop it out, or deal with it.
2017-1-11
Use props
fansf718d432
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

I got my mavic last week, pre ordered from Oct and I got same issue, soft or mushy image/video on right side .....already sent email to support@dji and patiently waiting ....
2017-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules