Remote Controller won't connect to drone after firmware updates
13362 6 2017-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse420af89
lvl.1

United States

Hi all,

I upgraded the firmware on my company's Inspire1 yesterday, and the aircraft updated perfectly fine and one of the remote controllers updated fine and can talk to each other, etc, but our second remote controller now isn't working.

I sort of "inherited" maintenance of the drone as one of my job duties after a coworker left, so I don't know all the past details of this particular controller, but when I tried to update it yesterday, I got a message that said I couldn't download the newest update and that I first had to update to v1.3.0.00 via USB. We really only use this second controller as a slave controller to take photos, so I would guess that it was never upgraded with the rest of the equipment (like, ever, apparently). Anyway, I did what it told me to do. The controller updated to v1.3.0.00. Then, I downloaded the latest firmware, v01.10.01.40 (X3), which came out this December. The update appeared to work, and DJI Go app now shows this latest version when I check under the Academy icon, but now it will not connect to the drone. It just says that the aircraft is disconnected, and no amount of rebooting (or yelling, LOL) will fix it.

My only guess is that the shock of updating from v1.3.0.00 all the way to v01.10.01.40 (X3) screwed it up somehow and that I needed to install all the updates between then and now, but I don't know how to fix it. I don't think I can downgrade because it appears that the available version according to DJI Go is the one we have now, i.e., the latest one. Since the USB thing doesn't work on the later updates, I don't know I would access them.

It's not terribly urgent, since the other RC seems to be working, but we'd really like to continue to use the second controller for photos.

I'd be much obliged if anyone could offer suggestions. I love this forum, by the way You're all great people for offering free help to technologically impaired idiots like me!

-Sara
2017-1-11
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Sara, first off welcome ,

You need to update the RC to version 1.7 on both of the RC transmitters, you will do this via the go app and a wi fi connection , once you update both of the RC's to the latest FW you should be fine .  If you have any trouble you may have to re link the master RC to the Aircraft .this ONLY works if you are up toodate

Check the RC version on the go app "about " page and see what it is on .  Use my tips page as a guide also if you have any questions
Tips for loading NEW firmware to SD card and transmitter

If you are at 1.10 for the Ac then the FW version for the 2 rc's will be 1.7.  Keep in mind the Firmware for the Aircraft and the RC are different and ther numbers may not match , in the latest update , they will not match for sure , the better term is compatible.

donnie
2017-1-11
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Use this video for a guideline to download the update the firmware.  Make sure you have a  active wi fi connection to the go app and the RC is on and connected to the Go app device.  The "system status" bar is opened by pressing the top center of the DJI Go app( it will give the status as "device disconnected" you tap right here to open the "system status" ) this is also where the Compass calibration can be found and other information .
The video says for the Phantom but applies to the Inspire as well.  Be sure the AC is off during this procedure , you will need to update both RC's and make sure they are both on the latest update version of FW ( firmware ) . When you open this video  link it will also have other videos that can help you as well if you need more infromation.

donnie
https://goo.gl/6lQ12v
2017-1-11
Use props
fanse420af89
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-11 13:13
Use this video for a guideline to download the update the firmware.  Make sure you have a  active wi fi connection to the go app and the RC is on and connected to the Go app device.  The "system status" bar is opened by pressing the top center of the DJI Go app( it will give the status as "device disconnected" you tap right here to open the "system status" ) this is also where the Compass calibration can be found and other information .
The video says for the Phantom but applies to the Inspire as well.  Be sure the AC is off during this procedure , you will need to update both RC's and make sure they are both on the latest update version of FW ( firmware ) . When you open this video  link it will also have other videos that can help you as well if you need more infromation.

Thanks for your advice. I managed to load 1.7, but it still won't connect

Any other advice? I downgraded the remote controller and then upgraded again and refreshed the upgrade once or twice, but no change. Not sure what else to try.
2017-1-18
Use props
fanse420af89
lvl.1

United States

Never mind! I got it to work just now by linking the remote controller and aircraft as if they were fresh out of the box. Appears to be fine now! Yay!!!!
2017-1-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

fanse420af89 Posted at 2017-1-18 15:20
Thanks for your advice. I managed to load 1.7, but it still won't connect  

Any other advice? I downgraded the remote controller and then upgraded again and refreshed the upgrade once or twice, but no change. Not sure what else to try.

You did read the part in my post to you about Re- link after updating ?
" If  you have any trouble you may have to re link the master RC to the Aircraft . "

Glad you are up and running now .
Yay back at ya !
donnie

2017-1-19
Use props
pilotmediaLLC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1558 ft
United States

I have the same problem. but with a twist.
I connected the Phantom 3 this morning no problems. Ready to fly. I get an update firmware alert. I updat eteh firmware.
Now the ony drone that will appear in the DJI APp is the Inspire. As a former software engineer, why didn't DJII provide users with a list of aircraft to choose from instead of auto-select?
ANyway, I have restarted everything, uninstalled/downloaded/new install of the DJI Go app and I am STILL on the ground with no other apparent options. The video found on the DJI website are out of date. They refer to menus that no longer exist on tht website and processes that are no longer used. No tech support. NO other options that I can see -- anybody have any recommendations?

2018-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules