3334 15 2017-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484948 ft
Canada

Hi guys,
Just trying to figure out what's going on with my drone in Sport Mode. I have calibrated the IMU and compass (as stated in instructions) a few times now and I'm still getting a compass error.  Everything seems to be fine until I really  push the drone to the high speed. Earlier today the drone was switching to ATTI mode when this would happen, but a quick compass calibration fixed that... now to fix the compass error!
IMG_5108.PNG

I'm not sure what this error actually says - becaus I can't expand the message.

Any ideas?

2017-1-11
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Its a fault of the hardware  ... basically, because you are using full power by cliimbing and full forward it interferes with the main compass and creates errors, the firmware (latest) then switches to compass 2 in order to retain GPS lock ... previously, it would switch to ATTI until it could recover the main compass, it wouldn't ever use the secondary compass
2017-1-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you are up and flying normal gps more than 12 sats, and your AC goes into Atti mode this could be because of a bad calibration i.e. Magnetic interference, you said you have done many compass calibration this will only open you up for a bad calibration i.e. Trying to calibrate in built up area around concrete metal objects although you can still finish the calibration in these areas it will almost certainly be a bad one.

I would suggest you go to an open field with no magnetic interference i.e. Metal objects concrete etc, and preform a proper calibration,
You shouldn't do another compass calibration unless you are prompted.
The more you calibrate your compass or IMU the more chance you have of getting a bad one, this is clearly marked out in the manual.
You might also want to sync your flight to let dji have a look..
Good luck
2017-1-11
Use props
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-11 12:49
If you are up and flying normal gps more than 12 sats, and your AC goes into Atti mode this could be because of a bad calibration i.e. Magnetic interference, you said you have done many compass calibration this will only open you up for a bad calibration i.e. Trying to calibrate in built up area around concrete metal objects although you can still finish the calibration in these areas it will almost certainly be a bad one.

I would suggest you go to an open field with no magnetic interference i.e. Metal objects concrete etc, and preform a proper calibration,

Thank you guys for your comments. I'll have to give the calibration another try in a very open field. Currently I don't think there's anything in the area that would interfere - unless it's wifi signal from my house.

Will the signal from a  wifi router do that? I was 20' away from my house when I calibrated the drone.
2017-1-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

kiltedrunner Posted at 2017-1-11 12:56
Thank you guys for your comments. I'll have to give the calibration another try in a very open field. Currently I don't think there's anything in the area that would interfere - unless it's wifi signal from my house.

Will the signal from a  wifi router do that? I was 20' away from my house when I calibrated the drone.

Make sure no metal structures your RC and no phone when your calibrate
2017-1-11
Use props
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-11 12:59
Make sure no metal structures your RC and no phone when your calibrate

I was sure to do that too. No overhead or underground wires - although I was standing on pavement.
2017-1-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

kiltedrunner Posted at 2017-1-11 13:02
I was sure to do that too. No overhead or underground wires - although I was standing on pavement.

Also, no metal in your pockets and leave the RC/phone on the ground several feet away from you when calibrating the compass.
2017-1-11
Use props
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-11 13:09
Also, no metal in your pockets and leave the RC/phone on the ground several feet away from you when calibrating the compass.

Did all that too. Set the remote 15-20 feet away from the drone. The only metal I have around me is my wedding ring - but it's stainless steel.
Is an issue?

I'm grasping at straws on this one.
2017-1-11
Use props
dronefoot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5689 ft
United States

kiltedrunner Posted at 2017-1-11 13:14
Did all that too. Set the remote 15-20 feet away from the drone. The only metal I have around me is my wedding ring - but it's stainless steel.
Is an issue?

I know this doesn't help your issue, but for perspective my Mavic was shipped to me from California, and I'm near NYC.

Took a while before I actually took it on its first few flights, but out of the box I just flew it, no calibrations or anything.  A few flights so far, all good.

I just checked before I took off that when I moved the Mavic around on the ground the arrow on the map in the app is pointing the same way the Mavic is pointing on the ground and then just went for it.

crazy ..but I think too much stress is on all this compass calibrations..? it hasn't asked me yet to calibrate anything..how delicate is this thing? do i have to be ocd with the compass?

2017-1-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

kiltedrunner Posted at 2017-1-11 13:14
Is an issue?

I think some stainless steel can still be magnetic (from a Google search)
Calibrate without the ring and see what happens.
2017-1-11
Use props
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-11 14:01
I think some stainless steel can still be magnetic (from a Google search)
Calibrate without the ring and see what happens.

Hi DJI-Ken,
I tried this today - but still nothing different from before. Any other thoughts?
2017-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

kiltedrunner Posted at 2017-1-14 18:01
Hi DJI-Ken,
I tried this today - but still nothing different from before. Any other thoughts?

You can try to restore to factory settings from the Assistant2 so see if that helps.
You can also refresh, or downgrade/upgrade the firmware.
If those don't resolve it, then you may need to send it in for evaluation.
2017-1-14
Use props
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-14 20:25
You can try to restore to factory settings from the Assistant2 so see if that helps.
You can also refresh, or downgrade/upgrade the firmware.
If those don't resolve it, then you may need to send it in for evaluation.

Thank you DJI Ken.

I already reset to factory settings a week ago, and today I downgraded the firmware one level. Once downgraded, I flew the drone and the same Compass Error came up. I decided to re calibrate the compass to see if that would help, flew again with issues on the compass. So then I upgraded the firmware to the most current - flew the drone and received errors, so then I re-calibrated the compass and again received more errors.

I'm not sure what else I can do. Thoughts?
2017-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

kiltedrunner Posted at 2017-1-15 10:59
Thank you DJI Ken.

I already reset to factory settings a week ago, and today I downgraded the firmware one level. Once downgraded, I flew the drone and the same Compass Error came up. I decided to re calibrate the compass to see if that would help, flew again with issues on the compass. So then I upgraded the firmware to the most current - flew the drone and received errors, so then I re-calibrated the compass and again received more errors.

I am sorry about that, I think we've trying everything.
You may need to send it in for evaluation.
2017-1-15
Use props
Vasiliy
New
Flight distance : 311627 ft
Israel

#Quick RОшибка компаса / помехи / IMU что происходит??
2017-9-16
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

thank god for redundancies.     my only guess is why not try refreshing the firmware via the dji assistant 2 application on pc or mac?  maybe its a firmware issue/software issue?   

i dont know how you get a reading on your IMU/Compass when you are flying, mine always says "moving..."  with IMUs, compass does not show any info.. i think while its moving it wont show statuses sometimes..  i was trying to test how much interference power lines giving out but, no good hovering right over a residential power line (never do this on high voltage lines) couldn't get any readings..  guess mine wont let me take readings while its on the go..
2017-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules