Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost contact, P4 Pro crashed
1914 23 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HugoTN
New

United States

I lost contact with my Phantom 4 Pro after 10 minutes of flying, RTH button in app was greyed out so I attempted to regain signal by moving towards the location where I lost connection. Unfortuanatly, during the failsafe RTH, the drone attempted to go home but seemed to have encountered a tall building. I later found the wreckage at the bottom of the building.

I've uploded the flight record files here. Unfortuantly, while trying to retrieve the .DAT file using DJI Assistant, I had to power the drone on with a new battery, and the motors started smoking, so I quickly took the battery out. Is there a way to retrieve the dat file without running power through the damaged drone?

Also attached are pictures of the damage. Correct me if i'm totally wrong, but isn't the Phantom supposed to descend and land safetly when it encounters obstacles it can't maneover round? This one seemed to have plumeted.
p4pcrash-1.jpg
2017-1-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You should be able to access the flight data on your phone or tablet, if not powering up the drone should let you connect to the data on the hidden SD card inside, but I should think the motors won't burn if you don't start them. Go to phantomhelp.com and folow the instructions to upload the data, then come back here and post a link. One of our friendly members will come along and provide an analysis of the data.
2017-1-12
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about your crash, feel for you, just wondering if you had set up the return to home altitude?
2017-1-12
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Your uploaded flight record stops at 10m 32.5s so it is not complete.

But you are getting a warning at 0m 0.9s.  The aircraft is in a Warning Zone (Class B). Fly with caution here.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5ZW71S4T0BQX0IOKL8DB/

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... ifying-tower.71450/

2017-1-12
Use props
Untheory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58045 ft
France

That's painful to watch the picture
2017-1-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You need to also sync your logs to dji cloud.
2017-1-12
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

I dunno, but based on the imagery of the flight path on phantomhelp, it looks like it may have attempted to or possibly did land in the exit lane of the underground parking garage and may not have hit the building at all.  I don't know how accurate the flight plan is up against the satellite image.
2017-1-12
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

sorry for your phantom crash.

One thing You said bothers me a bit. you said "failsafe" RTH.

It is NOT a  "FAILSAFE" button that will always and safely return your quad.
It has specific functions and settings you must set correctly
as well as fly in manner it can work correctly.

The fact you said it RTH into building on return says you were out of LOS behind it somewhere.

It really is not a good idea to fly around and behind objects as radio waves get blocked and ......

good luck!

2017-1-12
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

WOW. You were 430ft up inside class B airspace within 5 miles of major airport.
2017-1-12
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

He was only above 400 ft. for 1 minute and 9 seconds, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that he quickly realized he was over the ceiling and dropped it back down to legal limits.  Please fly responsibly.
2017-1-12
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
United States

He was over the legal altitude at takeoff
2017-1-12
Use props
Darrendirl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 822021 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ob1415 Posted at 2017-1-12 11:58
He was only above 400 ft. for 1 minute and 9 seconds, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that he quickly realized he was over the ceiling and dropped it back down to legal limits.  Please fly responsibly.

Doubt the law would given him the benefit of the doubt in Class B
2017-1-12
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

Darrendirl Posted at 2017-1-12 12:45
Doubt the law would given him the benefit of the doubt in Class B

You're right they wouldn't.  I was just pointing out that he was 30 feet above the allowable limit for about a minute.  We've all seen people fly well above 400 ft. for the duration of their 20 minute flight.  He was still wrong,
2017-1-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ob1415 Posted at 2017-1-12 12:50
You're right they wouldn't.  I was just pointing out that he was 30 feet above the allowable limit for about a minute.  We've all seen people fly well above 400 ft. for the duration of their 20 minute flight.  He was still wrong,

He was close to a building that was higher than his Phantom.
Do you think that poses a risk to real planes?
2017-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sad to see an another crumpled drone shell...

Hope that you can get it figured out fast, fixed or replaced and get you back to flying.

Good luck.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-12
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

You said the RTH button was greyed out on the app, are you aware there is a physical RTH button on the RC?
2017-1-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

trance728- Posted at 2017-1-12 16:15
You said the RTH button was greyed out on the app, are you aware there is a physical RTH button on the RC?

He had lost contact because the Phantom was behind a building.
No button will help in that situation.
2017-1-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear, I would recommend getting in contact with the North American Support Center to have the unit sent in for further diagnostics and repair. They can go over the flight records to see what happened.
2017-1-12
Use props
HugoTN
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-12 01:49
You should be able to access the flight data on your phone or tablet, if not powering up the drone should let you connect to the data on the hidden SD card inside, but I should think the motors won't burn if you don't start them. Go to phantomhelp.com and folow the instructions to upload the data, then come back here and post a link. One of our friendly members will come along and provide an analysis of the data.

Thanks Geebax, not sure what is smoking, but it's smoking, and i'd rather not have a fire on my desk while trying to retrieve the .dat file. I looked at the guide on getting the file off the P4 and it requires a battery to be present inside the craft and power switched on, unless you know of another set of steps that don't require me running power through the drone?
2017-1-13
Use props
HugoTN
New

United States

Ob1415 Posted at 2017-1-12 06:03
I dunno, but based on the imagery of the flight path on phantomhelp, it looks like it may have attempted to or possibly did land in the exit lane of the underground parking garage and may not have hit the building at all.  I don't know how accurate the flight plan is up against the satellite image.

yes you're correct, that is the last known connection location and the main area I looked around, but in actuality, the wrecked craft was found to the west of that, on the side of the tall building, maybe 25 meters away?
2017-1-13
Use props
HugoTN
New

United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-1-12 06:44
sorry for your phantom crash.

One thing You said bothers me a bit. you said "failsafe" RTH.

yeah it was a learning experience for sure, expensive one too. If I ever have the nerve to control one of these again, I will be trying not to make the same mistakes. Just glad I didn't cause any damage to a person or property.
2017-1-13
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-12 13:19
He was close to a building that was higher than his Phantom.
Do you think that poses a risk to real planes?

If the building is higher than he was, then no, there would be no foreseeable risk to a real plane.  However, the rule is still 400 ft, no matter if the building is taller.
2017-1-13
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

in regards to the phantom 4 pro being able to go over around or land, on its own its only in certain flight modes.
2017-1-13
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
United States

Did it possibly land and then get run over by a car or truck??
2017-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules