1035 9 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantom Robin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128839 ft
Belgium

Hi,

Could i please ask for someon his imput.
I'm always a bit scared that cold weather makes the plastic of the shell more brittle, so that it is more likely to produce a stress crack.
am i worried for nothing ?

thank you for your help.

2017-1-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

No, there is definitely a scientific basis for that fear. But other than only flying in warm weather, I don't know what you can do about it.
2017-1-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would think a lot would depend on the properties of the plastic, I've not seen many reports as yet of P4's suffering cracked shells. In fact I think there are two spring to mind fairly recently (as opposed to many reports in times past on the P3's). But what I have seen more of though, is reports of extreme cold weather flying where no problems have been reported, even when some might have been expected (reduced battery performance ? ).
I would think that it is unlikely that the cold would cause problems for the shell on the P4. It's balancing up the risk I suppose, if it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
2017-1-12
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

The shell is covered by warrantee, so there is no need to worry for the first year, sensible to check it over carefully shortly before the warrantee runs out though!

If it lasts 1 year then it will probably last several years so again, not much reason to worry.

And if it does ever get a serious crack, you can buy two complete new shells with fittings for less than the cost of a battery and then you will have one spare

I wish batteries were a bit cheaper, seems like that is where they make most of their profit!
2017-1-12
Use props
Phantom Robin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128839 ft
Belgium

Thank you all for your input!
2017-1-13
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

I wouldn't worry for thermal stress. But I wouldn't fly well below freezing either, because my hands will freeze. Care and discipline.
2017-1-14
Use props
2stroked
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19026 ft
Canada

I was flying mine yesterday at about -5 C/23 F, one thing I noticed was the P4 creates heat so it should keep it warm enough
2017-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-14 09:06
Maybe those drone sweaters that have been posted a few times aren't just a joke ;)

Yeah, but they look awful, and what if a thread end comes loose and wraps around a propeller?
2017-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-14 14:33
I never clicked on the links and just assumed they were a total joke.  Fuggly looking disaster waiting to happen in my opinion if they are real

I think they are serious, which is even funnier.
2017-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-14 16:02
If that's the case the first "My phantom sweater caused a flyaway" post will cost me a keyboard due to either coffee or beer

Ha, you and me both.

'Fortunately, I was able to track it down, by following the woollen thread, but the sweater ran out about 60 feet short of the landing site. But then I heard it shivering in the dark....'
2017-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules