Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
flies while flying!
3054 32 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
D. Brent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100331 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I was curious if fellow Australians have found an abundace of flies flocking over them while using both hands on the controller of their drones a nightmare to deal with?

I've had to purchase some Aeroguard to help me out. Over summer, it's been nightmare for me some days.
2017-1-12
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well, that's just par for the course here. I was flying in Jindabyne recently, and the flies there where so bad that I thought I was going to be carried away at one point...
2017-1-12
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Just wait until the March flies come out. They drink Aeroguard and come back for more.
2017-1-12
Use props
D. Brent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100331 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-12 15:12
Well, that's just par for the course here. I was flying in Jindabyne recently, and the flies there where so bad that I thought I was going to be carried away at one point...

lmao
2017-1-12
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Wide brim hat with full head net cover 8 bucks from BCF http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Ko ... ead-Net-42cm/114426
2017-1-13
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Tend not to worry about them too much - one of the beauties of living in Oz along with how many things that can actually do real damage? How many types of venomous snakes & spiders do we have along with crocs and anything else that thinks I am fair game!
2017-1-13
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69 ft
Australia

flies arent too bad where I am (near Rockhampton) other than march flies. I worked in the Pilbara and the flies there were immune to aeroguard. Made no difference at all. There were millions of them, they get in any available orifice. Id blink and they would get caught in the corners of my eyes. The mining contractors made some concoction that worked brilliantly. Never found out what was in it. Id still like to know.
2017-1-14
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hey it isn't summer until you have swallowed at least two of the little bug...er flies.
2017-1-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Euc Posted at 2017-1-14 05:23
flies arent too bad where I am (near Rockhampton) other than march flies. I worked in the Pilbara and the flies there were immune to aeroguard. Made no difference at all. There were millions of them, they get in any available orifice. Id blink and they would get caught in the corners of my eyes. The mining contractors made some concoction that worked brilliantly. Never found out what was in it. Id still like to know.

'Never found out what was in it. Id still like to know.'

Ah, well, perhaps it's best if you didn't?
2017-1-17
Use props
Porkhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417 ft
Australia

Ha ha ha that's funny! actually  I chopped up a large grasshopper the other day and the guts was all over the unit! took a while to clean it!
2017-1-17
Use props
Porkhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417 ft
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2017-1-14 20:44
Hey it isn't summer until you have swallowed at least two of the little bug...er flies.

You havn't been truly initiated in Australia until you snort one up the nose and it buzzes in your sinus cavity for a while!  Vomiting after eating one accidentally is a close "Second"!!
2017-1-17
Use props
fans9cbc7a56
lvl.2

Australia

Yes! Driving me nuts. I need a corked hat and Aerogard.
2017-1-18
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

You have four props at your disposal. Just hover it slightly above your head and blow them away.
2017-1-18
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I discovered the fly net that fits over your hat. Really works. Can't clearly see the iPad screen to fly the drone though. Oh well back to the drawing board so to speak.
2017-1-21
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

I was filming on a local golf course a year ago during spring, could not get the beez to leave the drone alone. They must think its the queen Bee or something with the hum it makes. Every time I lowered the altitude suddenly, a handful of bees would be chomped, was not fun cleaning the drone after that.
2017-1-24
Use props
grozmo
lvl.2
Australia

No amount of Aeroguard stops them from landing on my hands / face it can be quite infuriating.. "Tropical Strength" means nothing! I think I will look into some kind of full body net haha!
2017-1-25
Use props
Philbo
New

Australia

I worked western queensland for several years. I got hold of Bushmans fro my local camping goods store. Get the one with the highest amount of DEET. that's the stuff thaat flies don't like. Aeroguard isnt what it used to be; dumbed down for nanny state safety.
2017-1-31
Use props
Philbo
New

Australia

grozmo Posted at 2017-1-25 14:34
No amount of Aeroguard stops them from landing on my hands / face it can be quite infuriating.. "Tropical Strength" means nothing! I think I will look into some kind of full body net haha!

I worked western Queensland for several years. I got hold of Bushmans from my local camping goods store.
I got the one with the highest amount of DEET,  not suitable for kids. That's the stuff flies don't like.
Aeroguard isnt what it used to be; dumbed down for nanny state safety I think.

So how's everyone with rules and regs for safe flying? All over it or still struggling?
I have some news . . .
Your own buildings don't count in the 30M exclusion zone. I have that from straight from the:
Recreational RPAS Inspector Operations, National Assurance, CASA \ Safety Assurance
CASA is continues to refine the ammendments, so good idea to keep an eye out on the CASA site.
2017-1-31
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Philbo Posted at 2017-1-31 14:52
I worked western Queensland for several years. I got hold of Bushmans from my local camping goods store.
I got the one with the highest amount of DEET,  not suitable for kids. That's the stuff flies don't like.
Aeroguard isnt what it used to be; dumbed down for nanny state safety I think.

Yeh...Aeroguard is Cordial for the flies to drink. I also use Bushmans it works fine. Took the Phantom out to Central Aussie a few months back to Ayers and the Olgas...was the only stuff that worked out there...unless you cut the bum out of your pants...MWAHAHA
2017-2-2
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

G'day  Mates. Fair-dikum  eh, Those flys sound awfull....struth.  How my Ozie  language ???
I just thought I'd trespass  a little and say howdy from Washington state in the good ol USA  
Sounds like the flys are as bad there as Donald Trump in here.
Can I send  anyone a bottle of OFF> That's what we use here...{:4_177:} for those bugs.
Any how...just thought I would say hi and wish everyone their happy flying.
Hows-a-bout showing some of those bugs to the rest of us flyers here in the states ???
but t the one where you cut the bum out of your pants...
2017-2-5
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

I meant to say not the one with the bum cut out   
2017-2-5
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Odan Posted at 2017-2-5 06:19
G'day  Mates. Fair-dikum  eh, Those flys sound awfull....struth.  How my Ozie  language ???
I just thought I'd trespass  a little and say howdy from Washington state in the good ol USA  
Sounds like the flys are as bad there as Donald Trump in here.

Sounds like USA will have the highest rate of refugees soon, leaving the US that is. So you will need some lessons to come here. Your go at the stralyun langwhig was orlrite. I think the entry test is something like who won the cricket etc (don't ask Me though)..Put 'eh' on the end of every sentence and your there. Other subtleties are: replace 't' with 'd' for words ending in t. i.e. id is, not, it is....'done pronounce the ' ' etc.
Yes flies are bad in some locations. Some flies in certain places are immune to Off or any other commercial product I know off. In the WA Pilbura I had tropical strength Rid. Did nothing. They still crawled up my nose, in my ears, corner of mouth and eyes. They were too quick to wack but if I shut my eyes I could catch quite a few... eh.
2017-2-5
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-17 18:37
'Never found out what was in it. Id still like to know.'

Ah, well, perhaps it's best if you didn't?

"Ah, well, perhaps it's best if you didn't?" It was very near Whitenoom. Could have been asbestos. The mine rules were wind up all windows when driving past. Despite being a 'ghost town' there were still a few people living there.
2017-2-5
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

Thank guys. Just had to drop in and say howdy.
Gr8 flying to all downunder
2017-2-5
Use props
Emu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 166194 ft
Australia

Try this stuff for the flies, haven't tried on March Flies but I don't doubt it works.

It is available from Stockfeed outlets, it was originally designed to apply to horses eyes to keep the flies off until they discovered there was more money to be made packaging it for humans
Fly Repellant.
2017-3-8
Use props
Emu
lvl.1
Australia

Try this stuff for the flies, haven't tried on March Flies but I don't doubt it works.

It is available from Stockfeed outlets, it was originally designed to apply to horses eyes to keep the flies off until they discovered there was more money to be made packaging it for humans
2017-3-8
Use props
Emu
lvl.1
Australia

2017-3-8
Use props
Emu
lvl.1
Australia

2017-3-8
Use props
Emu
lvl.1
Australia

Sorry, tried adding a photo but not permitted it seems.
2017-3-8
Use props
Emu
lvl.1
Australia

2017-3-8
Use props
Copago
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50026 ft
Australia

^^^That's the stuff I use as well ... works great and doesn't even smell that bad.
2017-3-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sky wombat Posted at 2017-1-14 20:44

Thank goodness we don't get too much of that over here.  Mosquitoes in Scotland are pretty bad though.
2022-4-20
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hey Blériot53, I'd forgotten about this thread and that's probably down to the fact the weather has meant not many bush flies around. Had plenty of marchies and blowies but those little sods no. I reckon they are just waiting for us to feel comfortable and then whamo. Mind you, the flies could also be on a covid break
2022-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules