Is it normal for the camera to get very hot?
3881 8 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

So yesterday, while doing the FW update and noticced that my camera and gimbal assembly got VERY hot.  I'd never really noticed it before, so am not sure if it is normal for it to get that hot.  Anyone?
2017-1-12
Use props
SN0WY3000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 127740 ft
United Kingdom

Mine did the same.
2017-1-12
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

mines pretty warm.
the moters are constantly movin back and forth. And if you notice the camera is limp with no power that shows that the motors are under constant tension
2017-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Which models are you guys flying? Yes that heatup is normal. The Phantom 3 Pro has a cooling fan in the gimbal.
When I am doing any maintenance, firmware updates or utilizing the flight SIM, I place my drone on the top of an upturned fan.
I use this same double fan to keep my two 100w chargers and 4 flight batteries cool while charging.
You could also set your drone near an air conditioner as well, to help maintain a lower internal operating temperature.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-12
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

You do take your camre guard off when you do this don't you.  Never leve the gimble guard on when you have power to the Phantom.  That warning has been posted many times here,, Hope that helps
2017-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Odan Posted at 2017-1-12 16:04
You do take your camre guard off when you do this don't you.  Never leve the gimble guard on when you have power to the Phantom.  That warning has been posted many times here,, Hope that helps

Yes, that's an infraction against the gimbal motors.
I have read that "Gimbal Motor Overload" error message at least once myself. ;-)

It's not that some people are more forgetful than others, but pilots will often put a keychain warning message on their gimbal guard. Remove Before Startup.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-12
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-12 16:09
Yes, that's an infraction against the gimbal motors.
I have read that "Gimbal Motor Overload" error message at least once myself. ;-)

Like this.
IMAG0248.jpg
2017-1-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, it sticks out. Like a sore thumb. Or something. Hahaha
A preflight checklist works just as well.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-13
Use props
shephard101
New

United States

To be honest i don't have that specific model, i play with different model, it slightly just warm, but for cheap drone i played before (china made) it is so hot
2017-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules