DRONE CRASHES INTO SEATTLE SPACE NEEDLE
3727 46 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

Despite hiding behind a protected Twitter account, the drone pilot's linked YouTube page identifies him as Cole Kelley—"Just a man with a camera, a story, and a vision."

http://www.pcmag.com/news/351016 ... attles-space-needle
2017-1-13
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Wes1977 Posted at 2017-1-13 10:46
Despite hiding behind a protected Twitter account, the drone pilot's linked YouTube page identifies him as Cole Kelley—"Just a man with a camera, a story, and a vision."

Shame he doesn't know how to fly then and as for his videography skills.....
2017-1-13
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

If you watch the video coming up to the point of impact, there are vertical strings of lights, with clear glass bulbs, It's very possible the thing that looks like the gimbal dome is just one of the light globes.

In any case... Not very good practice to fly right at the tower, especially with workers on it. But, the drone must have been recovered, because the video made it on to the internet.
2017-1-13
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

Wes1977 Posted at 2017-1-13 04:45
I think you have to be a UAS pilot for this to apply:

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:

Good points. Regardless of if s/he was flying commercially or not, that Inspire should have been registered with the FAA.  Since the article said they didn't know who the pilot was, I'm guessing it wasn't registered.  Yet another potential violation.

The owner probably bought the UAV and started flying, completely ignoring or unaware of regs.  No excuse.
2017-1-13
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

I went to the youtube account of Cole Kelley, and this kid hasn't posted in 3 years.  He must have moved on to twitter.  I was hoping to find a drone video.  The videos are of a kid playing video games.  Probably the right person's account.
2017-1-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Mir Posted at 2017-1-13 08:40
If the owner of that drone is reading these forum.. I hope you get nailed. People like you ruin the hobby for us. It only takes a few idiots like you to bring an avalanche of new laws and regulations.

I think getting caught is key here.  If he is not caught so that applicable laws can be enforced, the public will just keep pushing heavier and heavier restrictions on us until you can't fly at all.  Again, enforce what laws are on the books-don't just keep creating new ones.  It's just like gun laws, and both can have deadly consequences.  I hope he is either caught, or better yet, steps up and takes responsibility for his actions.  Don't make the rest of us suffer even more for your actions.
2017-1-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

After reading the PC Magazine article posted above, he obviously turned himself in, as he says he will soon learn whether he gets to have his video back or not.
2017-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules