Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Washington
1234Next >
32941 147 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StevenDWheeler
lvl.1
United States

New User in the Everett, Washington area.  Anyone else from the area on here.  Looking for some good ideas on where to fly my Phantom 4 Pro + and places to avoid!
2017-1-12
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

Howdy from Dan in Seattle I think you have more space in Everett than I do in Seattle area. I can't wait to give Deception pass a try   I think I'm going to like this regional gorum thing...good Idea DJI
2017-1-13
Use props
Talnz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6949 ft
United States

Greetings from Rick in North Marysville.  There is a great app from the FAA that I recommend downloading called B4UFLY.  I've found that I'll need to contact 5 different authorities up here where I want to "play."  My P3 just shipped, but I've already scoped out a few areas to do some test flights.  Cheers!  
2017-1-13
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

come on everyone....I find it hard to believe there are only 3 drones in this area...Maybe the 4th one already crashed into the Space needle.   
2017-1-13
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

Kirkland here- hard to find places nearby. Heading up towards Baker next month so I hope I can get some great shots there!
2017-1-14
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

Hey guy's...I've been snooping around on Google earth program looking for places around me. I think we re all very new to drones and need lots of space in order to fly.
I know that's how I feel right now and I even have experience with Electric Heli"s.
I'm pretty lucky, I live in Skyway very near Renton.  I have a 5 acre field next to the house so I can fly  pretty easy. I am in a "class D air space" and get a warning to fly t or less then 150 feet.
But I'm not told not to fly there.
I think the hard thing is to find a place where you are alone with your drone.  With all the negative hype lately,  I can be pretty nervous. Like I said I have a beg field and sparse housing.
Right now I'm looking at some logging roads up towards I-90. 4 Aging lucky because I have a 4 wheel drive truck.  
My house is located on the side of a high slope. Even at 150 feet I don't clear the top of the hill I'm on.   BUT I AM GETTING SICK OF FLYING AND FILMING THE SAME OLD THING.
Everett and Marysville....... You guy's have all that farmland and Tulip fields you can fly.  That's where I'd go if I lived out that way.
Even though I have been flying my drone whenever I can (30 flights so far)  with no problems at all, I still need to build my confidence for the technology.
I can remember some really bad experiences with my electric helicopters, which I still have but have not flown them for a couple of years. If you haven't flown heli's you don't know what problems with components is. I've crashed those thing so many times I've lost count.   Any way.......That's kind of where I'm at here in King county.   
2017-1-14
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

You are all welcome to come to north central Washington to fly!  Massively open sky, excellent natural features to video and photo.  From Wenatchee north to the Canadian boarder.  Great places to camp or RV and very good hotels.  Columbia River, Cascade Mountains, forests and open plains.  Let me know what you are interested in and I'll tell you what's available.
2017-1-16
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

One question.  What time do you serve breakfast
2017-1-16
Use props
rustygal
lvl.1
United States

I'm down on Bainbridge Island and am a Landscape Photographer....I've always wanted to get a cherry picker and now I have one in my drone. I had to send it back, unfortunately, for some gimbal issues, but it is in the repair shop and hopefully I'll have it back in hand by the end of the week....or Monday at the latest. The first flights were so much fun.....
2017-1-17
Use props
rustygal
lvl.1
United States

I'm down on Bainbridge Island and am a Landscape Photographer....I've always wanted to get a cherry picker and now I have one in my drone. I had to send it back, unfortunately, for some gimbal issues, but it is in the repair shop and hopefully I'll have it back in hand by the end of the week....or Monday at the latest. The first flights were so much fun.....
2017-1-17
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
United States

Odan Posted at 2017-1-16 19:20
One question.  What time do you serve breakfast

Depends on what day of the week you come over...
2017-1-17
Use props
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

I'm Rick, just got a new Phantom 3 Standard for christmas, and trying to learn where I can legally fly as a hobbist, according to the FAA rules.  I live down in South King County area, and work in Renton, myself.  I really would like to find some other pilots to fly with and compare equipment, and such.  Maybe we need to start a local Meetup Group?

Anyway, after reading much conflicting information from different post, and on different forums about when and where I could fly and when I do or don't have to call someone, I decided to call the FAA UAV Helpline, (please contact us via email at UAShelp@faa.gov or call 844-FLY-MY-UA.) and get the answer straight from the horses mouth.  I told him I was strictly hobbist, and according to their B4UFLY app, I had 3 heliports and a rural airpark that I needed to call and notify before I could fly.  Is that correct?  His answer was very specific..."Yes."  I ask, even if there is no control tower?  He says yes.  He also reiterated that we are not necessarily asking for "permission" to fly within the 5 mile zone, but that we were "notifying" them that we would be using the airspace within the 5 mile zone of their airstrip/heliport.  And in most cases, as long as your not intending to be flying right off the end of the runway, they won't have any issues.  I tell him I called the airpark and the airport manager was real nice, and it was no big deal, but I tried calling the 3 heliports and got a fax machine when i called one, just rang and rang and rang when i called the second, and got a disconnected number when i called the 3rd.  He says, well you did what you were required, and that's what were asking...thanks for following the rules.
I can tell you when I called the airport manager at the airpark, it really was a quick and easy exchange.  I told him who I was, where I would be flying in reference to his location, how long, how high, and how far away from my launch point.  He didn't ask for it, but I gave him my FAA registration number anyway.  He said thanks, and if I didn't mind, give him a call back when I was done.  I did and it was all cool....No biggy at all.  So, If it says in the B4UFLY  app there are airports nearby, write down which ones they are, and then use a website like AirNav.com to look the place up and near the bottom of the page for that airport/heliport will be the name and phone number for the owner and airport manager.  I'd call the airport manager.  So far, I have found the phone number for both those individiduals the same.  If there is an air traffic control tower at the airport, then you have to call it as well (first call actually), and that phone number will be listed on AirNav as well.
Someplaces like SEATAC have special requirements, and actually have a website for an online application to fly within their airspace.  I have heard from one friend that tried to fly at Coulon Park and had some "Drone Police" show up and tell him he couldn't fly that close to Renton airport, and that Renton City had passed an ordinance of no drone flying in their parks.  I can pretty well guarantee, you can't fly at Coulon due to the close proximity to the ends of the runway, but I looked online, and I couldn't verify the info on the Renton City Council drone ordinance...  Just make a quick call before you fly if it says there are airports nearby.   There are websites and apps out there to help get a phone number to the person you need to call at each of these places...AirNav.com is the one I know of and use.
My FAA friend did tell me that some guy that flew his drone into a building in downtown Seattle earlier this year, was just convicted of Reckless Endangerment and something else, and got a really hefty fine and jail sentence, and is facing big lawsuit from the building owner and the lady that the drone fell on and hurt.  And when they find the guy that just flew his drone into the Space Needle, they will hit him with as stiff a penalty as possible to continue to try and send the message to us drone pilots that we can not fly just anytime and anywhere.

Anyway, I'm just passing the news along and I hope to meet some of you local guys in the near future.  Let me know when and where you might be flying and we can use each other as the other's "Visual Observer" and learn from each other, how to get the most of these things....
2017-1-17
Use props
GeorgeR
lvl.2

United States

Just ordered a Drone and need to learn how to fly. I live just North of Federal Way on the West Hill of Kent.

I remember observing remote control aircraft of some type being piloted just off of I5, well south of me.

Any legal, safe open spaces to practice in the South End?
2017-1-17
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

Hey RicknCovington....I have sent you a PM about flying in Renton area.  Give me a call....Odan...aka Dan aka Cpt Longline
2017-1-18
Use props
induster
lvl.1

United States

Hey - Wenatchee here. Several places near leavenworth! Google "enchantment lakes wilderness", "eight mile lake", "lake wenatchee", "chelan"... If anyone is interested in an overnight excursion into the wilderness this summer to get some great shots let me know.
2017-1-18
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

I-90 closed up now..sorry  Wenatchee. I'll beup in summer.  My wife is a Toxicologist and goes up to Holden village a lot.  She's even hinted that I video map the site for her.
Cleaning up their water from some copper mine.  
Can't wait for summer...see ya then
2017-1-18
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
United States

Holden Village is a really great site to do some scenic video shots, also along Lake Chelan.    Also plenty of camp grounds along the Chiwawa  River Road and Plain, WA.  which is an easy drive from Leavenworth.  And the Tumwater Canyon along the Wenatchee River is pretty spectacular.
2017-1-18
Use props
StevenDWheeler
lvl.1
United States

Looking forward to visiting Eastern Washington this coming summer for some flights.  The biggest issue that I have had so far is notifying the heliports.  The airports have been easy to work with and I have found a few areas to fly where no reporting is necessary.  Drones are not allowed in State and National Parks which is too bad but I can understand that people don't want to have a supercharged bumblebee flying overhead while they are enjoying the great outdoors.   As far as the Phantom 4 Pro goes,  I have had seven flights now with no issues.  There have been two firmware upgrades to the controller and one to the drone.    Happy flying!
2017-1-19
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

RicknCovington Posted at 2017-1-17 18:21
I'm Rick, just got a new Phantom 3 Standard for christmas, and trying to learn where I can legally fly as a hobbist, according to the FAA rules.  I live down in South King County area, and work in Renton, myself.  I really would like to find some other pilots to fly with and compare equipment, and such.  Maybe we need to start a local Meetup Group?

Anyway, after reading much conflicting information from different post, and on different forums about when and where I could fly and when I do or don't have to call someone, I decided to call the FAA UAV Helpline, (please contact us via email at  or call 844-FLY-MY-UA.) and get the answer straight from the horses mouth.  I told him I was strictly hobbist, and according to their B4UFLY app, I had 3 heliports and a rural airpark that I needed to call and notify before I could fly.  Is that correct?  His answer was very specific..."Yes."  I ask, even if there is no control tower?  He says yes.  He also reiterated that we are not necessarily asking for "permission" to fly within the 5 mile zone, but that we were "notifying" them that we would be using the airspace within the 5 mile zone of their airstrip/heliport.  And in most cases, as long as your not intending to be flying right off the end of the runway, they won't have any issues.  I tell him I called the airpark and the airport manager was real nice, and it was no big deal, but I tried calling the 3 heliports and got a fax machine when i called one, just rang and rang and rang when i called the second, and got a disconnected number when i called the 3rd.  He says, well you did what you were required, and that's what were asking...thanks for following the rules.

Hi Rick, that's alot of interesting info-- I'm in Kirkland, I'm wanting to fly at Heritage Park over Lake Washington but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I try to take my drone up every evening if the weather is ok-- I also live near a bunch of heliports-- contacting them every day for a 10 or 15 minute flight of 200 feet max seems overkill - especially since I don't even get as high as the trees on the surrounding hills all around me-- I guess that is what needs to happen though-- so much for being spontaneous and trying to catch a great sunset over lake washington.
2017-1-19
Use props
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

so crap! the more I read, the more depressing it gets.  Others of you may have already known this, but I didn't....Washington State Parks are all off-limits, unless they have a designated area.  King County Parks are all off limits unless they have a designated area. National Parks are off limits.  Many of the housing developments, with Home Owners Associations, have made their subdivisions off limits.  I haven't found it yet, but I'll bet most of the school districts have all their properties off limits.  I thinks the National and State forests are still ok..not positive though.
2017-1-19
Use props
PERIOPNURSE
New

United States

New user living in Oak Harbor. Just got Phantom 4 Pro and in the process of viewing all the tutorials I can find while awaiting an additional high capacity battery to arrive in a few days. Weather has been crappy and not able to fly anyhow, so using this time to get as much knowledge crammed in before 1st flight. Living this close to NAS Whidbey Island, I know I'm going to need to travel in order to fly. Plan on using the P4P to take along with us when traveling around in the RV. Looking forward to meeting other WA group members and learning from them.
2017-1-19
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
United States

The most basic rules for flying:
Stay below 400 Above Ground Level
Stay away from private property where you have not gotten the owner's permission to fly
Do not fly near people who have not agreed to be part of your video/photo taking
Register yourself as a sUAS operator and apply your number to the quadcopter
Check your flying area and its proximity to No Fly Zones (use the B4UFly APP)
If needed call the Air Traffic Control (ATC) phone number and leave a message or talk to the person answering the phone.  Either way you are covered.

In short; if you do not cause people to get concerned you won't likely get hassled.  
2017-1-20
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
United States

I talked with a City Council member for the City of Chelan yesterday.  They might be interested in hosting a Quadcopter type festival.  If there were organized events what would they be?  Simple obstacle course, precision landing contest, drag races, races around courses, photo contest and video contest are some that come to my mind.  What would you suggest?
2017-1-20
Use props
PushSky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 554925 ft
United States

Another Seattlite here.  4 flights so far and only one (minor) crash.  Learning quickly.  
2017-1-22
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2026903 ft
United States

Hi Washington flyers, I have flown my P3S slightly over 1 million feet or 181 flights mostly around the Sequin area. Have found out that talking with neighbors and showing off drone leads to people giving permission to fly over their property.
Happy hovering!
2017-1-23
Use props
BlueZone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1148409 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-1-23
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

Anyone here right now ???  
2017-1-25
Use props
Cruz
lvl.1

United States

Olympia area here...... has anyone been able to locate Washington state restrictions on drone flying? and/ or search terms on current or pending regulations on UAS here in Washington state?
2017-1-26
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

Pretty much any place that would be cool or convenient will be against the law. Privet property and fed prop is about all.
Right now, during winter, I just fly over my house and a 5 archer field next door. When spring and summer gets here. I'll head up to the logging roads and mountains.
As long as you  fly hobbyist its not to bad really.  I guess it really matters if someone complains about you and your drone.
AFTER THAT SPACE NEEDLE thing it would be best to stay away from the cities.  
2017-1-26
Use props
fanse8429272
New
United States

New user in the Bonney Lake area.  Also looking for good places to fly.
2017-1-27
Use props
neo881
New

United States

Hello form Mill Creek, I am still waiting arrival of a Mavic purchased a week ago. After seeing a friend playing with his P4, I decided to move on the Mavic. I will be taking it to Maui  soon. Anyone traveling with batteries have any suggestions?
2017-1-29
Use props
Talnz
lvl.1
United States

Lovely pic BlueZone!  Which unit was used to take it?
2017-1-29
Use props
Talnz
lvl.1
United States

neo881 Posted at 2017-1-29 11:25
Hello form Mill Creek, I am still waiting arrival of a Mavic purchased a week ago. After seeing a friend playing with his P4, I decided to move on the Mavic. I will be taking it to Maui  soon. Anyone traveling with batteries have any suggestions?

I'm still waiting for my P3S from Jan 4th...  Says shipped, but they don't know why I've not received a tracking number for it yet...??  Strange if you ask me.
2017-1-29
Use props
Talnz
lvl.1
United States

Talnz Posted at 2017-1-29 20:30
I'm still waiting for my P3S from Jan 4th...  Says shipped, but they don't know why I've not received a tracking number for it yet...??  Strange if you ask me.

I guess I should have just waited for the Best Buy to get theirs...They have them in stock now, and I'm still waiting for mine.  Although, I guess there was a price increase of $100 just after I ordered mine.  And customer sales chat has no answers and doesn't appear to be any help whatsoever.  Getting very frustrated for an item that I was told was shipping from California has taken almost 30 days.  I guess they must be shipping directly from China...
2017-2-1
Use props
928Estates
lvl.2
Flight distance : 453346 ft
United States

Cheers, P4P+ in Renton area too. About 7-8 flights without any incidents. Very fun to fly the bird and learning about all its features. Working on getting the FAR 107 done by summer.....
2017-2-1
Use props
RonH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 699925 ft
United States

I'm out in the Maple Valley area of SE King County.  Been flying for 2.5 years - P2vision+, P3Pro, and now the P4Pro.  I'm extremely happy with the performance and the camera on the P4P.  I have been practicing at some school soccer fields with no problems.  I do not fly when children are present.  They have a gate and the school seems to have no problem with me walking past the gate and flying.  One Saturday I drove in and was flying when someone came out to talk with me.  I was expecting the worst, but after we visited about the P4P for a while, he asked if I would lock up the gate when I was done.  I think if we're respectful and careful, we minimize our problems.  I also fly over areas where home developments are being installed.  Normally I fly over these on the weekends when no work is being done.   I have flown in the late afternoon during work hours, but made a point to stay away from where they were working.  Pickups drove past me and no problems.   There are some nice agriculture fields down in the valley between Auburn and Kent (by the old Midway Drive In) that make for nice non busy areas to fly.  It's under the SeaTac class B airspace, but traffic from Auburn needs to be watched.  I have my Remote Pilot Certificate and would enjoy flying with others.  Stay safe and enjoy.
2017-2-3
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
United States

WOW... looks like Wa. is getting to be dronesville...Greetings fellow Rentenite.
Where you been flying ??
I live in Skyway.  have a nice 5acher field to fly in
2017-2-3
Use props
EagleEyezz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4022 ft
United States

Hello, I'm From Seabeck WA. I just do this as a Hobby but may move into the Commercial Photgraphy field. I have a P4.  I took this pic last night of the snow storm moving in, IRCC this was a 4 sec timelapse.

2017-2-3
Use props
EagleEyezz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4022 ft
United States

I actually have a thread going on HERE on this forum. I just started it but this is where I will be posting all my media.
2017-2-3
Use props
fans547d7885
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202372 ft
United States

Redmond checking in. New Phantom 4 and can't wait to get more time!!!
2017-2-4
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules