o(^-^)o
fans559ecd5a
New

I live in Covington and am always looking for areas to fly contact me
2018-4-10
Use props
Kamen Riders
New

An new Mavic Air owner from Everett.  I took it for my first 3 flights to learn the basic maneuver (Take Off, Landing and flying circle) in the RC Plane Airfield of Marymoor Park in Redmonds last Friday.  I kept it no higher than the trees and within 50 feets from myself at all time since I am not be trained flying any RC Model under FPV and it's so small to be visible when flying too high and too far.  The Mavic Air is very easy to operate than what I think before.  It was windy last Friday and around 8 - 12mph with gusty wind sometimes, Take off and landing without using the one key  under this windy situation has no issue.  I have flown my electric Foam RC Planes there for several times with same windy condition there, my RC Plane was either get flip over in take off process or I have to turn around  3+ times for landing approach before I could finally land my RC Plane on the airfield.  Still trying to be familiar the Apps and functions.  And looking to fly it higher and more further
2018-5-1
Use props
ChaseDisgrace
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80525 ft

Hello everyone!

I've had a Mavic Pro since December, although I've only flown it a few times. I'm from South Hill/Puyallup and that's primarily where I've flown so far. The Pierce County Airport is really close to my house, so by law I have to notify them every time I operate my drone. Thankfully, Pierce County made it super easy and I just text the administrator of the airport every time I'm going to fly: I don't even need to wait for a response. I want to start flying in downtown Tacoma since I attend UWT, but I'm a little confused at how to notify the heliports at the hospitals there.

I did my first flight down in Orting along the Puyallup River, which was a lot of fun!

Image of South Hill about 40 minutes before sunset last month.

I'm probably moving to Utah this year, so unfortunately I won't be part of this community for very long
2018-5-6
Use props
Washindronian
New
Flight distance : 85912 ft

United States

So, I live in Covington and work for a construction company and am always trying to make time to send up my Mavic pro. I would love to meetup with some of you other pilots. I need help with editing and what is the appropriate equipment.

I'm on youtube too, lookup "The Washindronian"

Also, maybe there should be a facebook group?
2018-6-8
Use props
Ck1199
New
Flight distance : 8825 ft
United States

Anyone here from the Mill Creek area?
2018-6-20
Use props
biggwayvedayve
lvl.1

Hello all! New to Drones. I feel lucky everytime I get it back on the ground! I am in the Marysville area and will spend a lot of time out and about in the Mountain Loop flying and shooting where it is legal.
2018-6-23
Use props
lordgarth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9642 ft

Hey everyone.  I posted a thread about Washington before I noticed this one.  In Monroe here.  Have had my Mavic Air for about 2 months now.  It is such a kick.  Where does everyone fly these days?  Looks like most of these messages are a while ago.  I am finding most groups want you to join AMA for $75 (had already done that) then want between $150 and $300 to join their group.  Whats up with that anyway?  They think all of us are rich?  
2018-9-3
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 617405 ft
United States

Try these areas:
  • Columbia River Gorge
  • Mt. Rainier NP
  • North Cascades NP
  • Methow Valley
  • Palouse area
  • Washington Pass
  • Mt. Baker Ski Area

When it comes to downtown Seattle, it looks like there is a big YELLOW circle riding over the entire downtwon Seattle as a no-fly zone because it's the operating area of the USCG. *sigh* ... and this includes Kerry Park and the entire waterfront.

Here are a couple of my vids I tooks ...

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=GMZaCnS3Flc

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=h876ajT49WQ

2018-10-19
Use props
Equus54
New

United States

New to drones with a P4A+ in the Kent east hill area. Any accomplished pilots in the area? We own 20 acres with adjoining open space.
2018-10-21
Use props
lordgarth
lvl.3
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-10-19 12:21
Try these areas:Columbia River GorgeMt. Rainier NP

Well most of those locales are NFZ.
2018-10-25
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
United States

lordgarth Posted at 2018-10-25 09:33
Well most of those locales are NFZ.

Where did you get that information that most of these are NFZ?
I just checked Geo Zones in DJI Go 4 and they looked fine.
2018-10-25
Use props
lordgarth
lvl.3
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-10-25 10:50
Where did you get that information that most of these are NFZ?
I just checked Geo Zones in DJI Go 4 and they looked fine.

National Parks are NFZ
2018-10-26
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
United States

You are right.
2018-10-26
Use props
Can I get my drone back?
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27142 ft
United States

Oregonian checking in. Great to know there's other pilots in the PNW
2019-2-12
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Safe flying.
2019-2-17
Use props
OpticalOcean
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32415 ft
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-10-19 12:21
Try these areas:Columbia River GorgeMt. Rainier NP

Jack checking in from Seattle. I had a very small toy drone to play with for a while before it went for a swim.

Just bought a Mavic 2 Pro on Amazon and looking for a convenient place to learn it around Seattle, which seems pretty hard from what I'm reading. But I think if I go at a quiet time to one of the playfields midweek in the morning before work...

I am interested in trying to fly it around my 28' sailboat. Anyone ever tried flying on/off the water? With some practice it shouldn't be that hard on a quiet day...? I was also thinking that it might be a way to get around thew State Parks restrictions at Blake Island for instance. Maybe just fly it off my dingy...?

A meetup would be a lot of fun...
2019-3-27
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

OpticalOcean Posted at 3-27 22:04
Jack checking in from Seattle. I had a very small toy drone to play with for a while before it went for a swim.

Just bought a Mavic 2 Pro on Amazon and looking for a convenient place to learn it around Seattle, which seems pretty hard from what I'm reading. But I think if I go at a quiet time to one of the playfields midweek in the morning before work...

Hey there. I'm down in Olympia and been flying for about a year now. Seattle is a very hard place to find flying locations. This time of year you might want to think about heading to the Tulip festival end of April beginning of May.

I've love flying over water and its basically a fear you have to overcome. I would practice over small areas of water and then make your way further out. Taking off from a boat is tricky so be very careful.

I am working on small business of filming boats, ships, and sailboats that are for sale to help promote them for the brokers.

I am always up for meeting fellow flyers so PM if your interested.
2019-4-6
Use props
OpticalOcean
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32415 ft
United States

I flew up at Richmond Beach Park the other day. It's in the City of Shoreline. No signs banning drones, nothing on their website either. It's just south of a heliport operating zone up in Edmonds, but it doesn't seem to be an issue if you fly lower than 200'. Need to be careful and polite with folks walking around, but everyone was cool. Nice cement area to take off from and unimpeded view. I made friends with a local kite surfer and he was quite excited to have me send some footage. Hard subject to shoot, I was chicken to get very close as I needed to be pretty careful of the kite and water while chasing him. Going to go up on a nicer day and try it some more. Mavic 2 Pro flew super well in 10 knots of wind.

https://youtu.be/NjdAD426ss4

Jack
2019-4-20
Use props
Dew Runrun
New
United States

hi...i live out near index....took my air to spada lake yesterday and itsa no drone zone ..... so dont go there....
2019-6-7
Use props
FourT2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595079 ft
United States

biggwayvedayve@ Posted at 2018-6-23 11:40
[view_image] Hello all! New to Drones. I feel lucky everytime I get it back on the ground! I am in the Marysville area and will spend a lot of time out and about in the Mountain Loop flying and shooting where it is legal.

Is that the Big Four mountain?
2020-6-7
Use props
FourT2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595079 ft
United States

Hey everyone, just received my MA2 and looking for interesting and legal places to fly in Washington State. Located in south Snohomish county.
2020-6-7
Use props
AeroNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232844 ft
United States

Olympia/Tumwater, late to the party. Just acquired a Mavic Air 2, and have a couple of hours of flying around our 2 acre property and trying out imaging options.  Lots of trees all up in here, and a couple of miles from KOLM so it's not easy, but all my on-line LAANC applications have been quickly approved so far. I'm looking forward to some field trips to other parts of the state for some different scenery. Most of downtown Olympia seems to be clear of restriction, other than people, but these days there are not as many of them wandering about. I'm hoping to gain some confidence flying over water and record some nautical images on Budd Inlet.

I am also preparing for the Part 107 certification exam, so that I can utilize my equipment commercially, possibly as a way to generate a little income in retirement.

Any other south sounders still flying, and willing to share any cool locations for imaging?

Bob
2020-8-20
Use props
djiuser_Odo2nByQKNpA
New

United States

biggwayvedayve@ Posted at 2018-6-23 11:40
[view_image] Hello all! New to Drones. I feel lucky everytime I get it back on the ground! I am in the Marysville area and will spend a lot of time out and about in the Mountain Loop flying and shooting where it is legal.

Wow this was a few years ago lol but I'm glad you posted, I'm in the same area looking to fly up there as well. Nice picture!
2022-5-29
Use props
AeroNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232844 ft
United States

djiuser_Odo2nByQKNpA Posted at 5-29 15:14
Wow this was a few years ago lol but I'm glad you posted, I'm in the same area looking to fly up there as well. Nice picture!

Following up from last summer. I passed the FAA exam, so Part 107 certified, and my company provides insurance as I sometimes use the drone for work. I had posted some images of commercial buildings on Youtube, but after some research, learned that could open me to liability even if I wasn't paid for them. That's what pushed me to obtain the certification and insurance.  I've since flown a bunch in restricted airspace, you just have to figure out the authorization/waiver maze and make sure to overcommunicate.

State parks, national parks, and many other similar (picturesque) areas are off limits to drones. Some areas do not permit taking off or landing within their boundaries, but the airspace above is otherwise open, subject to federal rules.

I have a bunch of nice images from Satsop, former nuclear power plant project, and the coast. you will be surprised at the things you can find from above that are not obvious from the ground, even in seemingly mundane locations.

Bob
2022-8-2
Use props
djiuser_itn3F8b3geTv
lvl.1
United States

Hello all,

I live in Kenmore and just bought Mini 3 as my first beginner drone. I have never flew drones before and I was trying to see where I can practice drone flying- for simple things like practicing taking off/landing, using various modes etc., I don't intend to shoot any footage here locally but I want to practice using my drone so I can use it when I am travelling oversees.

I can't seem to find a good open place anywhere nearby where it is legal to fly consumer drones. Any suggestions on locations with relatively open ground (considering we are in WA) where I can practice simple maneuvers?

Thanks.   
2023-7-15
Use props
djiuser_WsPAwDKyLL4b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71227 ft
United States

Hello all. I am also located in the Tumwater/Olympia area. Purchased the Mini 3 Pro about a month ago. Been flying around Tumwater Falls Park and the old Olympia Brewery as it is close to where I live. I have a 44' sailboat that I plan on flying off of when I get confidant enough. So far only taken off and landed while docked. Hand launching and catching seems to be the best way. Not sure if I will ever get to the point where I use it while in motion but that was the ultimate plan. On a sailing trip from San Francisco to Cabo last winter I was on (friends boat), he lost his Mini 3 Pro trying to film while we were sailing mid ocean. I think he was using home point to return, which clearly will not work. Drone was hovering behind the boat and suddenly took off never to be found. This makes me a bit leery about trying the same thing. So many things like the mast and shrouds that get in the way of the sensors so will most likely have to land with them off.
2023-8-9
Use props
Sailorboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71227 ft
United States

Hello all. I am also located in the Tumwater/Olympia area. Purchased the Mini 3 Pro about a month ago. I've been flying around Tumwater Falls Park and the old Olympia Brewery as it is close to where I live. I have a 44' sailboat that I plan on flying off of when I get confidant enough. So far only taken off and landed while docked. Hand launching and catching seems to be the best way. Not sure if I will ever get to the point where I use it while in motion but that was the ultimate plan. On a sailing trip from San Francisco to Cabo last winter I was on (friends boat), he lost his Mini 3 Pro trying to film while we were sailing mid ocean. I think he was using home point to return, which clearly will not work. Drone was hovering behind the boat and suddenly took off never to be found. This makes me a bit leery about trying the same thing. So many things like the mast and shrouds that get in the way of the sensors so will most likely have to land with them off.
2023-8-9
Use props
Potato mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

man, this thread is ancient. maybe i should pull it up from the grave yard?
2023-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules