I need recommendations for a monitor that won't freeze and die.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky Capture
lvl.1

United States

I live in Colorado close to 10,000ft, and getting more and more comfortable with flying in cold temperatures. I have been using my 4 month old iPhone 6 as a monitor. I follow all the precatuions and guidlines for flying in the cold, but the first thing that will go wrong is my iPhone dies around 35'F. I have talked to people who are flying phantoms in the teens or less... I also have friends that use their Samsung Galaxy's around 0'F or even below 0... However it seems like DJI is favoring Apple products since their new GS Pro app only works on an ipad.

Apple states that its products from iphones to ipads to ipods safe operating range starts at 32'F (even less for me)...

If I buy a tablet by Samsung or some other company that can withstand cold temperatures, will I be missing out on more things like the pro app in the future? Or is anyone out there using an ipad or ipad mini between 0'F - 32'F?
2017-1-12
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

if this helps all devices it seem have an issue at one point or other. both Apple and android.
It changes week to week which update scews up what OS.

FWIW the newest Phantom P4Pro uses android in its factory monitor setup.

Many folks like the nvidia Shield K1.I have used mine from 0F to 95F.

good luck and have fun flying!
2017-1-12
Use props
Sky Capture
lvl.1

United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-1-12 15:57
if this helps all devices it seem have an issue at one point or other. both Apple and android.
It changes week to week which update scews up what OS.

The nvidia Shield K1 is not on the list of supported devices in the tech specs on the P3Adv. Does this matter? Or are you flying something else that does support it?
2017-1-12
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Sky Capture Posted at 2017-1-12 16:16
The nvidia Shield K1 is not on the list of supported devices in the tech specs on the P3Adv. Does this matter? Or are you flying something else that does support it?

phantom 3 Pro.

most of the good new tablets aren't on the list
not being on list doesn't equal wont work

for 200 its a lot of hardware that does more than most tabs
probably one of the more used android tablet for phantoms based upon more than a year of reading
2017-1-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sky Capture Posted at 2017-1-12 16:16

Aloha Sky,

The Phantom systems are not specified for temperatures below freezing.  If you are trying to fly in freezing temperatures, you are flying outside the specifications.  If the nVidia Shield K1 is the most popular Android device on the Forum and flies very reliably (my friend flies a P3A with one), why should it bother you that something does not operate below freezing or is not on the recommended list.  Your Phantom is not supposed to be out in freezing temperatures.  That is against specifications.

All this talk about freezing is making me cold.  The nVidia Shield K1 is the best Android device you can buy for Phantom Flight ($200)  Now, stop making me cold, everyone is going to start picking on me now!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I'm going to be flying my phantom 3 Pro' this weekend, even thought it's only going to be a balmy +3*C,
I'm bringing some boot warmer heat packs to keep the iPad Air2 warm, if need be, just in case ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-12
Use props
Sky Capture
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-12 23:03
I'm going to be flying my phantom 3 Pro' this weekend, even thought it's only going to be a balmy +3*C,
I'm bringing some boot warmer heat packs to keep the iPad Air2 warm, if need be, just in case ;-)

Good luck. I hope your iPad is stronger in the cold that my iPhone. Which chances are that it is. I think mine is a special case. Good luck to you!
2017-1-14
Use props
Sky Capture
lvl.1

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-12 22:21
Aloha Sky,

The Phantom systems are not specified for temperatures below freezing.  If you are trying to fly in freezing temperatures, you are flying outside the specifications.  If the nVidia Shield K1 is the most popular Android device on the Forum and flies very reliably (my friend flies a P3A with one), why should it bother you that something does not operate below freezing or is not on the recommended list.  Your Phantom is not supposed to be out in freezing temperatures.  That is against specifications.

Dollar Signs my friend... $'s.
Besides you see all of these incredible videos in the sky pixel gallery of people flying in Iceland and Canada and in snow storms blowing snowflakes around. I finally realized that they just aren't flying with an iPhone, and that was my problem.
Your response is easier to justify in Hawaii, but where lots of other people live, that would mean putting our birds on the shelf for the whole winter. And that is not an option.
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sky Capture Posted at 2017-1-14 13:14
Good luck. I hope your iPad is stronger in the cold that my iPhone. Which chances are that it is. I think mine is a special case. Good luck to you!

It never reached the highs today, which were predicted a couple of days ago for Edmonton Alberta...
But I still intend to get out tomorrow, and hopefully several days this coming week.

I'm going to be bringing a couple of boot or glove warmer heat packs with me, just Incase it does get too cold for my iPad Air2 Cellular.
Atleast the Sun glare on screens, isn't a major issue during these darker months of the year. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules