Camera will not operate in cold temperatures.
1353 10 2015-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jschultz
lvl.1

United States

Hey everyone-
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck operating the Phantom 2 Vision+ camera in weather <32 degrees F. I will be traveling to Iowa in a week or so to take footage of a construction site and unfortunately it looks like it will be under 32F, not accounting for windchill either. Any tips/tricks/hints? I tried to operate the camera over the weekend in MN (weather = 26 air temp, windchill 14) and the camera ceased to function.

Thanks!
2015-2-16
Use props
jschultz
lvl.1

United States

Thanks Gerry, do you have any idea why the camera would not work for me then? I know DJI provides a 0 degree C cut off for the camera, but I would assume that is just a suggested temperature at which the camera may malfunction. I double checked the camera once I got back inside and it worked just fine.
2015-2-16
Use props
jschultz
lvl.1

United States

Thanks Gerry, I will have to try several more times before my trip down to Iowa. I would only need about 10 minutes of flying, so hopefully it'll cooperate. I'm glad to hear that it has in fact worked for someone else in temperatures below 32 degrees F.
2015-2-16
Use props
jschultz
lvl.1

United States

Have you ever had any problems with the camera at those low temps?
2015-2-16
Use props
trgauldin.chart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4105446 ft
United States

I had problems with my camera a time or two flying in near freezing weather.  The camera would record video and take pictures, but I was not able to view the feed from my phone.  I figured it to be a cold solder joint or connection issue.  I found that if I let my phantom sit outside in the temperature for 15 min or so to let it acclimate, the camera would work.  I have not looked into the issue any further since my unit is new and I don’t want to crack open the case.   
2015-2-16
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

-10 C is spec limit on camera for p2plus.  is that an absolute spec or just a number where dji wont guarantee something wont break or stop working.  guess you can see.  im going to keep mine grounded below 0C.
2015-2-16
Use props
kirk2579.aol
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

I  have had almost nothing but under 32 f temps since I got my plus at beginning of Jan.
I have videos during light snow at night in under 15 f temps. Many more hours of video with almost 805 in temps way under 25f.
The weather has been so crappy I have started using 10F and less than 15pmh winds as my flight criteria.
Actually it all works well so far no matter
temps projected to hit 13 today later and almost no wind, Ill be up in the air then and will update if any issues with camera.
2015-2-16
Use props
kirk2579.aol
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-16 22:30
I've flown at about 5 degrees, but nearly froze my fingers off.  Just keep an eye on your batter ...

Gerry

I laughed first time I saw one of those RC muffs online,
Wish I bought one now with the winter we having!
yea , I go about half a battery and fingers are done.
2015-2-16
Use props
jschultz
lvl.1

United States

kirk2579.aol Posted at 2015-2-17 00:26
I  have had almost nothing but under 32 f temps since I got my plus at beginning of Jan.
I have vid ...

Thanks Kirk, that helps a lot. The camera must not have been working on my end because of user error. I will try again later this week and post an update.
2015-2-16
Use props
abram.corcoran
lvl.1

United States

I've had the vision 2 plus for about two weeks, in upstate ny it's been very cold, I've had mine up every day. The coldest was about -17 below. Seems to operate flawlessly. Though the thumbs freeze rather quickly. Only got about 17 minutes of flight time though.
2015-2-26
Use props
jschultz
lvl.1

United States

abram.corcoran@ Posted at 2015-2-27 12:40
I've had the vision 2 plus for about two weeks, in upstate ny it's been very cold, I've had mine up  ...

Thanks Abram
2015-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules