1032 8 2017-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RaVeNsFiRe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1292493 ft
United States

-Posted on Phantom Pilots as well.

So I'm a Christmas newbie, but have tried to get some flying time in each day. I've had no issues pulling files from the sd card to my Mac until yesterday.

I returned from 2 shoots (lunch and charge up in between)

While I was at lunch after I was fully charged I saw the latest firmware update pop up. I went ahead and did that.

I left and went to my second location.
I set up, flew a few routes, recording here and there to get a feel for what I wanted to do.
Set up a few stills then when I was down to 50% battery or so I went ahead to do my last planned sweep.
I was slowly moving along in tripod mode, but headed in the direction of home.

The battery low came up and instead of the normal return home I had been use to it said landing.
I was like hold up you are over water!

Anyways it moved to the side swept a couple branches before finding a landing spot about 50 yards from me.

I went over to make sure it was all good.
I had seen it the entire landing via the camera and I had thought it was recording.

I got to it , 8% battery left.
Stopped the recording.
Powered it down and packed up to head back to work.

I get there and put the sd card in my reader to dump the files 48gb of joy.

As I'm going through everything the last sweep and landing don't appear to be there. Hmmm I think.

I look closer and realize the files from the second shoot are .mov, I had been using .mp4 so the 2 shoots were different.

No biggie they all work and are the UHD size I had set.

So I get home and try some more digging. No video file. I try a couple different Macs, different readers, p4p directly mounted, and all hooked up to fly looking through the flight routes etc.

I thought, could I have not hit record?

Then I went into the camera settings and saw it not only went to Mov, but it changed the file naming sequence to reset, it changed the cache to be 2gb instead of 16, it changed cache to automatically delete when full.
I changed these back to my original set up.
Then magic I went into the editor again (5th or 6th time) but first since changing the settings back.

There it was the video I was missing. 15 minutes of a good time. All the moves, sweeps etc.  

I watched it in the editor and hit the download original button.
It showed the % downloading and took about 10 minutes.
Once it was done, it disappeared from the editor and was not in the ipad's photo library. It is MIA all over again!

I downloaded wondershare recovery, pulled all mov files it found off, but they are corrupt so can't open in any program I have.
QT, FCP, Premiere, Media Encoder, Compressor, VLC etc.

I tried fixing with VLC, Remo and a couple others, best I got was a few seconds of green no go.
Like you'd see without the proper codec.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Obviously I can eventually get back out there to shoot location 2 at some point, but what a pain. The travel, the joy, the crushing realization that I don't have the actual shots for my project.

Do you think the update got me?
I should have switched cards after the update SMH.

Long winded, I am sorry.

2017-1-13
Use props
RaVeNsFiRe
lvl.1
United States

Update and missing clip that was supposedly downloading original to the iPad.
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG
2017-1-13
Use props
nickewhite
New

New Zealand

RaVeNsFiRe Posted at 2017-1-13 06:23
Update and missing clip that was supposedly downloading original to the iPad.

The same thing has happened to me on a trip to New Zealand.

I got some beautiful footage of a river, went to check it out on my laptop, and it wasn't on the memory card. I thought I must have hit record.

Then the following day took it out again, recorded a video (whilst double checking that I was actually recording) in the morning along with some photos. Later on that afternoon, I recorded some more video. When checking on my laptop later that day, the first video in the morning hadn't recorded. The file numbering was a bit odd also. The two videos in the afternoon were named as 'DJI001' and 'DJI002' and the two photos in the morning were 'DJI003' and 'DJI004' ... I would have thought the photos would have been the first numbered files?

And exactly the same thing has happened today - the first few videos I took in the day haven't recorded, but videos recorded on the second flight have, and again the numbering system of the files looks the wrong way around.

Can anyone help to retrieve these? Some of the footage was really stunning - and would really like to get it back (New Zealand was a holiday - and am unlikely to be returning soon!)

Thanks
2017-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The usual reason for this happening is that you did not stop the recording process before shutting down the aircraft. Now I am not saying that this is what happened in either case, but it is the most common reason for files going missing like this. The cure, when you discover it, it to put the SD card back in the aiurcraft and power cycle it.
2017-1-14
Use props
Hendo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I've had the same issue with recordings going "missing". That was with the previous firmware V01.01.0201 and haven't been able to get out since I've upgraded to V01.02.0304  I lost about 3 or 4 individual recordings in one flight. Definitely stopped before powering off.
2017-1-15
Use props
RaVeNsFiRe
lvl.1
United States

It's frustrating that I actually saw it in the editor, watched it and then hit download original. It went through the process like it was downloading, but did not.

I gave up on it over the weekend, I wanted to use that card again.

I haven't had an issue since this one incident.
2017-1-17
Use props
RaVeNsFiRe
lvl.1
United States

On a different note.

Since this firmware update I have had a few times that once a take off the Phantom starts to drift off.
I can fly it back towards me, but it will again drift.
I bring it home and start again.

This last time I heard it say ATTI mode, guessing GPS dropped, but came back a few seconds later.

2017-1-17
Use props
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RaVeNsFiRe Posted at 2017-1-17 09:46
On a different note.

Since this firmware update I have had a few times that once a take off the Phantom starts to drift off.

I have had the GPS drop out and it goes into atti when it had 17 satellites. not normal. Mine has been sent back to DJI
2017-1-17
Use props
M
lvl.1
Flight distance : 363356 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

nickewhite Posted at 2017-1-14 21:56
The same thing has happened to me on a trip to New Zealand.

I got some beautiful footage of a river, went to check it out on my laptop, and it wasn't on the memory card. I thought I must have hit record.

This happened to me also. After charging the battery and continuing on the same sd-card it starts to overwrite the files starting from 0001 again. If the file from the first session is a photo (DNG) instead of movie (MOV) it saves both files. But if the file-type is the same i.e 0003.mov it overwrites the old file.
2017-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules