Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shockwave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27274 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All

Has anybody got one of these?

Seems to be a fairly good price.. I've been emailing them for more details.....

"The tracker is supplied with 2 back covers so you can remove the magnetic cover and replace plain cover"

"First year access to the online tracking platform is free. After the first year it's £10 per year. Other than this all you have to do is top up the sim by £5 every 90 days. When you first purchase your tracker it will come pre-loaded with £5 credit"

"If you are using the tracker with online tracking £5 of credit will last you around 2 to 3 months as it sends small amounts of data which will cost so little.

Compared to using SMS tracking this will cost you 19p for every text you send to the tracker for a location update. "
2017-1-13
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Many USA 2G GPS trackers went dead on January 1st.

Unfortunately, many 2G wireless service in the USA has been discontinued.
Most people here with GPS trackers and many people who fly Phantom (which have onboard 2G GPS) will find they can no longer use their Phantom or GPS devices (2G based)

This is what I heard.
Please advice if incorrect.
2017-1-19
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The original post is using pound symbols. So i assume its UK GPS query. I use gpslive.co.uk for tracking delivery cars. £5 lycamobile lasts about 6-8mths. Yes you can use sms text for a location update which uses your credit balance. But a online map subscription costs about £10 per year which allows you to log in on mobile or PC and check your gps device on a google or bing map. I guess for a drone just the sms text to mobile is enough. The map or online will have benefit of a trace eg location every 10seconds. They do several trackers and i was thinking of getting one for the drone. Battery will last about 2 days and cost is about £30.

Will a gps tracker a drone.. Or interfere. I dont know. Mayb someone can answer.
2017-1-19
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Typo in the above ^^. Its meant to read. " Will a gps tracker affect the drone in anyway or interfere.. Im not sure "
2017-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cessna172 Posted at 2017-1-19 09:25
All USA 2G GPS trackers went dead on January 1st.

Unfortunately, all 2G wireless service in the USA has been discontinued.

Yes, you are right, it is incorrect:

'Most people here with GPS trackers and many people who fly Phantom (which have onboard 2G GPS) will find they can no longer use their Phantom or GPS devices (2G based)'

The 2G trackers will not work, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the aircraft. There is no such thing as 2G GPS, because GPS has nothing to do with the cellular network. It is a totally independant radio system and will still work.
2017-1-19
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-19 22:26
Yes, you are right, it is incorrect:

'Most people here with GPS trackers and many people who fly Phantom (which have onboard 2G GPS) will find they can no longer use their Phantom or GPS devices (2G based)'

To be clear though, the device still gets a GPS signal, but with the death of 2G you can't communicate with it to utilize it.

2017-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

CCrew Posted at 2017-1-19 23:41
To be clear though, the device still gets a GPS signal, but with the death of 2G you can't communicate with it to utilize it.

Quite correct, but there are newer devices out there that are 3G: http://en.rf-gsm.com/products/Re ... ps_tracker_645.html

2017-1-20
Use props
TrackIT
lvl.1

Philippines

back when i used a 2G device (trackimo's 2G) but since all 2G gps system shuts down, iv'e already bought their 3G device.
2017-5-11
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

don't buy 2g buy the 3g variants because it's much more powerful and can easily be located due to the fact of the higher data bandwidth capability of 3g trackers can send and receive.
2017-6-15
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Julia Baker Posted at 2017-6-15 18:43
don't buy 2g buy the 3g variants because it's much more powerful and can easily be located due to the fact of the higher data bandwidth capability of 3g trackers can send and receive.

Good advice.
I was ultimately able to continue using my 2G tracker for now because T-Mobile still has their 2G network up so I switched to T-mobile.   AT&T I believe was the one that shut down their 2G so I incorrectly assumed all carriers did.

When I get a new tracker it will be 3G.
2017-6-15
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

CCrew Posted at 2017-1-19 23:41

Thank you.
This was indeed the point.
2017-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules