12Next >
8519 64 2017-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

Totally confident with my P3S now I have had it out flying and seen just how good it is in the air. Fitted an Inspire 1 tablet mount, flown it with a windsurfer fitted and liked the little bit of extra range. So, natural progression, without splashing out on a P3a/pro is do I fit a range extender set up like the Argtek or isn't it really worth it?Just gauging comments.
2017-1-13
Use props
Kenwae
lvl.2
United States

I've heard mixed stories some saying it has made a huge difference, others saying not much difference. Seems to be a crap shoot, kind of like firmware updates. I have a P3S and use a windsurfer which has helped a little bit. I spoke with a person who also has a P3S and put on the Argtek and raves about the extended range. The Argtek can't hurt, unless you mess it up during installation, and would probably help some, to a lot. It's a lot cheaper than getting a P3P or P4. That being said, I recently did get a used P3P and the difference between wifi and lightbridge is very noticeable. The P3P, without any modifications, has solid, consistent connections, even thousands of feet away. Even with the argtek modification on a P3S, you're still connecting via wifi which is more easily interfered with.
2017-1-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, might as well make a major step up, to the Phantom 3 Pro with Lightbridge, and just get it done. Ha

You'll be amazed by the great unobstructed flight distance these things will go, even with out any antenna alterations.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-13
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

Nooooooooo argtek!
2017-1-13
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

i had the Argtek and it sucked! i got 1500ft on my standard stock. the argtek i at very best 700ft.. i got the dbs mod    3600ft all same location
2017-1-13
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Appears that some of the argtek antennas have issues and reduce the range in half (able to fly myself 2 miles), but the DB mod is the choice you should look into as many have reviewed that as an awesome mod.  Also research MagicPowerv5
2017-1-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United States

Argtec gave me 2493m ...... stock was 700m

QED

Nigel
2017-1-13
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I have the DBS and like it VERY much, so I'd say go with that over the other.

DBS mod

DBS mod
2017-1-13
Use props
proimages
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft
United States

Been very happy, 7500' was best run..5500' regular around city. Cheers D
2017-1-13
Use props
Muddy90
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'm looking at the argtec too,  I've lost or had low signal most flights.  I got very adventurous today and up'd the ceiling limit & got her up to just under 1000ft altitude before loss of signal,  came down to around 500 & flew off to see what I could get distance wise. That topped out at around 2500ft. Impressive but not enough! Am I right in thinking that a pro controller won't work with a standard drone?
2017-1-14
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Muddy90 Posted at 2017-1-14 14:36
I'm looking at the argtec too,  I've lost or had low signal most flights.  I got very adventurous today and up'd the ceiling limit & got her up to just under 1000ft altitude before loss of signal,  came down to around 500 & flew off to see what I could get distance wise. That topped out at around 2500ft. Impressive but not enough! Am I right in thinking that a pro controller won't work with a standard drone?

The equipment is not designed to go up that height if you talking right over your head at 1000'. You should be going up maybe 100' or so, then flying out in front of you some distance before going up that high, and then don't you have a ceiling your needing to stay under in the UK. In the states it's 400'. And no, only the Standard RC will work with the P3S.
2017-1-14
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Muddy90, you really NEED to search out and read the limitations set out by the CAA as to max height and other restrictions on flying your quad. Being ignorant of these laws is no defense and will only lead to more adverse press and ultimately a fine for you and your quad being impounded.
2017-1-15
Use props
Muddy90
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks. Read,  understood,  and I promise to be good.
2017-1-15
Use props
Muddy90
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Read some more &  found this...
Seems I'm perfectly legal to stay under 1000ft
Screenshot_20170115-230747.png
2017-1-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United States

I reckon the DBS is butt-ugly !!  At least the Argtec is easily fitted - no screw ups drilling the case etc.

As I have posted many times in many threads on this subject ............

The question of Argtec or not I believe is better based on :

Do you want extreme range - then go for DBS and accept that crap look !! and the drilling of case.

Do you want more reliable and consistent WiFi connection in reasonable range to match control connection  ? Then Argtec should be suitable.

The two are not same. DBS is more directional than the Argtec because it removes the Omnidirectional Antenna for Control. This gives greater range - but you need to be careful that antenna faces that model you cannot see.

I had 700m with stock but crap WiFi video connection that often crapped out at about 100m. I now have both reliable at over 1000m which was my reason to choose Argtec. I do fly over 2000m with Argtec - but the 1000m range was my main requirement.

Nigel
2017-1-16
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Muddy90 Posted at 2017-1-15 15:09
Read some more &  found this...
Seems I'm perfectly legal to stay under 1000ft

SUA's in the UK pertain to commercial drone flyers who have obtained a licence from the CAA for their operations. We as 'hobby flyers' do not fall under, nor have the same conditions of these pilots.
The CAA site has comprehensive 'DroneCode' information.
https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... ones/Flying-drones/
2017-1-16
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks Nigel, good information.
2017-1-16
Use props
fans799f96c2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3428 ft
United States

For what it's worth, I read an article on the ArgTec website that says that in every case, when the customer complained about the range being cut in half after installation, it was because the customer crossed up the cable installations and did not install each cable to the correct connection.

I just ordered an ArgTec today, it's being delivered later this week.

I'll update with my own experience with it.

I agree with what others already said.  I like that the ArgTec keeps the Omni-directional antenna design, and I'm not looking to break any records on how far I can travel, I just want something reasonable.
Hopefully, the ArgTec will do that for me.
And if it doesn't?  I bought it on Amazon, I can send it back, and like someone already said, there's no damage to the controller buy trying it out.

Thanks,
2017-1-16
Use props
Muddy90
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Merlin,  nowhere can I find reference to Small unmanned aircraft (Sua) pertaining exclusively to licensed pilots or those with any permission on the Caa website.  General exemption E4185 makes no reference to it but says "exempts Any person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft"
2017-1-16
Use props
Muddy90
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Anyway,  back to the topic...  Good info guys thanks.  I've decided what I will buy.
2017-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United States

I hope your choice provides what you want.

Good luck.

Nigel
2017-1-16
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

We are limited in Oz and my std only gets ~350m as is v1.8.10. I cut a reflector out of laminated kitchen foil and it goes full signal at 500m & no RTH.
2017-1-17
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

Hi, My P3std only gets about 350m (in Oz CE limited) as is with v1.8.10.  I cut a reflector out of laminated kitchen foil and it has full signal and no RTH at 500m..  Clear around me for klms, no trees over about 3m.
Regards Dave
2017-1-17
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84610 ft
Australia

DaveH_au Posted at 2017-1-17 02:44
Hi, My P3std only gets about 350m (in Oz CE limited) as is with v1.8.10.  I cut a reflector out of laminated kitchen foil and it has full signal and no RTH at 500m..  Clear around me for klms, no trees over about 3m.
Regards Dave

Hi Dave, i'm in Australia too and really new at this! I've taken mine out a few times but have been really disappointed with the lack of range. Did you find the foil trick online as i'd like to give it a try and see if that helps at all.
Thanks, Neil
2017-1-18
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292297 ft
United Kingdom

Muddy90 Posted at 2017-1-16 13:18
Merlin,  nowhere can I find reference to Small unmanned aircraft (Sua) pertaining exclusively to licensed pilots or those with any permission on the Caa website.  General exemption E4185 makes no reference to it but says "exempts Any person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft"

Stay below 120 metres (400ft) and you will be flying within the rules.
That's plenty high enough anyway.
2017-1-19
Use props
rr3101
New

United States

I have heard mixed reviews. My results were insignificant, but I live in a high density area that has many sources for interference.
2017-1-20
Use props
rr3101
New

United States

I have a very big problem!!!
Actually I have two:

I accidentally clipped one of the wires when installing my ARGtek range extender. I have managed to have it connected, but it is unreliable IMO and will not continue to function properly for very long.

I also have heard that the P3S will only work well with a 2.4ghz antenna, and the one that came with the ARGtek is 5.8Ghz... Does anyone know if this is accurate?

1. Does anyone know what the male piece in the picture is, or where I can buy one?
        2. The ARGtek middle antennae is 5.8ghz, does anyone know where I can get a 2.4ghz antenna that can replace the one I have?

/Users/tbredthauer/Downloads/IMG_1372.JPG

I clipped just the orange wire, but have managed to make a shoddy connection (this is not my remote, I do not want to open it in case i disconnect it)
What is the function of this connection?? I have assumed it enables the battery to charge and transmits power to the other side of the controller, but I can't find answers anywhere..
Also, I do not want to try and splice all the wires and put them back into the original connection hub because I do not know how/if that can be done...

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
2017-1-20
Use props
rr3101
New

United States

Sorry, I guess I didn't upload the picture correctly...
But the wires/connector I am concerned about is in the bottom right hand side of the image..

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
2017-1-20
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

rr3101 wrote: 2. The ARGtek middle antennae is 5.8ghz, does anyone know where I can get a 2.4ghz antenna that can replace the one I have?

That is not going to work.
2017-1-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Betamace Posted at 2017-1-20 02:33
rr3101 wrote: 2. The ARGtek middle antennae is 5.8ghz, does anyone know where I can get a 2.4ghz antenna that can replace the one I have?

That is not going to work.

It will work ... but poorly.

The other factor is that poor matching of antenna length to frequency can in fact lead to damaged RF circuits. This was a problem in the old days of JR etc. where telescopic antenna would be left collapsed while working on models ... if switched on for significant period the RF section would overheat and fail.

It is prudent to keep to correct antenna designation for each frequency.

Nigel
2017-1-20
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

DaveH_au Posted at 2017-1-17 02:39
We are limited in Oz and my std only gets ~350m as is v1.8.10. I cut a reflector out of laminated kitchen foil and it goes full signal at 500m & no RTH.

I just bought 2 one for me and one for a friend.

2017-2-9
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Andy M Posted at 2017-1-19 23:46
Stay below 120 metres (400ft) and you will be flying within the rules.
That's plenty high enough anyway.

In this video I am around 400m above the valley floor.  120m not enough.

2017-2-9
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

2017-2-9
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I found the Itelite mod to work better than the Argtek. It is more money though, almost double. I tried both, and actually distance was about the same for me but the difference I noticed that the signal strength seemed to be better with the Itelite.  I sold my standard and now have a P3A with the Itelite, understandably you can't compare the two with the P3A having the Lightbridge, but I can achieve remarkable distances with it.. I know signal is important, but you might consider trying Litchi. The person I sold my standard to, is now using Litchi, and he says it has made a huge improvement to his flying. He had thoughts of upgrading to a P3A at some point because even with the antenna mods, it doesn't compare with what you get with the P3A, Pro, or Phantom 4's. He programs waypoint missions and can go anywhere I can with my P3A. Yes it will lose signal, but will continue to run the mission and record footage. He says it has changed his thoughts on upgrading as of right now.
2017-2-9
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-9 06:54
I just bought 2 one for me and one for a friend.

[view_image]

Great. Number 2 is mine-- but I'll let you work out all the bugs in the install technique with yours ;)
2017-2-9
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-9 09:20
Great. Number 2 is mine-- but I'll let you work out all the bugs in the install technique with yours ;)

Actually when you come on Tuesday I may need to confiscate and switch your drone if I break mine.

I'm sure you wont notice. After all I blame you for baiting me into buying  drone in the first place.
2017-2-9
Use props
Paizano1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 236319 ft
United States

Well guys first time posting, and new to droning, (couple months now). I just received the argtek mod for p3s. I installed and all went well. Did a few range tests in the neighborhood where I have been doing the same flight patterns for the past week waiting for mod to arrive and keeping track of range. Range in two different directions were 1250ft and 1550ft, before mod. After mod I was able to go 1298 and 1500. The numbers are really close to without mod. The different antenna's changed things some but nothing better than  the range I was getting. I did notice video feed seemed to be a bit smoother, but I am after range like many others. The product seemed well built and could very likely work for many and not for some too.  I didn't notice a big enough change to offset the cost of mod. I am sending it back and might try the dbs mod. I understand that trying to make it a p3p is not going to happen.  Just wish the range was a bit closer to the 3000meters or even feet . Hope this helps some. Thanks for reading
2017-2-9
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

How far does the windsurfer give you with.
2017-2-9
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-1-13 13:08
i had the Argtek and it sucked! i got 1500ft on my standard stock. the argtek i at very best 700ft.. i got the dbs mod    3600ft all same location

What is DBS?
2017-2-9
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

fans799f96c2 Posted at 2017-1-16 13:12
For what it's worth, I read an article on the ArgTec website that says that in every case, when the customer complained about the range being cut in half after installation, it was because the customer crossed up the cable installations and did not install each cable to the correct connection.

I just ordered an ArgTec today, it's being delivered later this week.

The cables are different lengths and its easy to see how far they reach and determine which connector to put them on.

2017-2-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules