P4P+, Assistant2,sensor cal, & other issues solved….
942 2 2017-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Houseshoe
lvl.1

United States

Service dept. please read you might consider inquiring about Android OS version when diagnosing issues…

Here is the sequence of events I hope make since, I am not known for communication skills and probably don’t remember every detail

Dec. 18th Unexpectedly receive P4P+

Spend about 8 hrs reading and watching videos on the web spread over 2 days in an effort to understand what I had received and what i needed. Findings were, to use with my Android devices, the very latest version of Android OS I found a few people with issues and the P4P+ worked best with a little earlier version of Android.

First flight was with a Note 4 running version Android 6.0.1…. All control appeared ok but I would regularly loose the picture but it would immediately come back by switching from camera to video or vice versa….

Went and bought a Galaxy Tab 6A running earlier Android 5.1.1 to connect to controller then image feed problem 95% went away, bird flew Great…. When connected DJI go4 app said I needed to do a firmware update I made it so. At this point the Galaxy Tab performed best over the Note 4 that was more likely to lose video at the screen.

Few flights/days later with a little confidence built up I decided to check out the forward obstacle avoidance. With the bird approximately 6ft. altitude and a distance of 20ft. from me I eased it forward in the direction of a 12 ft. wide exterior shed wall.. sure enough around 7 ft. from wall the bird refused to move forward and after a couple of light urges to do so the bird  would refuse to go forward but started to uncontrollably roll to the starboard side and would not stop… it rolled starboard about 10ft. to the edge of a large bulky cedar tree and started to gently clip the branch ends… it did not roll farther but I could not get a response at controller so I reached (Know I shouldn’t but must save the drone from tree) and grasp the landing gear and pulled the left control stick all the way back with other hand to kill it….

More reading and found DJI Assistant 2 and downloaded to PC… upon connecting the drone to it, the firmware stated it needed to be updated and I made it so…

Then I went to the DJI Assistant 2 calibration and attempted the process numerous times with the same negative result… process would get to 90% as per app indicator in the final step and freeze…..

I called DJI service and was told to uninstall the DJI Assistant 2 , reinstall and try again….I did with the same result… at 90% it still froze ……

I tried to move the DJI Assistant 2 to another of three monitors on my PC and in calibration pattern view the screen would be blank on the other 2 monitors… the information was still in the upper left hand corner and also the drone shots at bottom left, but where the calibration pattern was supposed to be, the area was blank…

I called DJI service back and was given a case number of CAS-376650-M6L5B4. The shipping label came quickly and bird was shipped….

In a timely manner, I received the following

Case No:

CAS-376650-M6L5B4

DJI Care Balance:

0.00(USD)

Quote Date:

12-30-16

Remarks:

Warranty. Aircraft/ Gimbal has   software/hardware issues

Item

Quantity

Unit Price(USD)

Total Price(USD)

Roll-axis Back Cover

Roll-axis Bracket

Left ESC

Middle Frame

Right ESC

Roll-axis Motor

Gimbal Yaw-axis & Roll-axis   ESC Board

Service Charge

65.00/H

Freight:

Total Amount:

DJI Care deduction:

Total Payment:

I would like to add here that the case number was handled promptly and I received several update emails in the process…

When I received the bird back (was a completely different serial number) at first flight I had to go thru the same process as first flight on original bird & firmware update

With the Galaxy Tab 6A.. 5.1.1 connected i went to fly…. Instantly I started to have video feed loss issues… it would stay connected a couple minutes then drop out with a notice popup on the screen.  I would cancel the popup and switch from camera to video or vice versa the feed would reconnect with good picture… The problem persisted no matter the distance from the bird…

Removed the Galaxy Tab 6A 5.1.1 and connected my Note 4.. 6.0.1. The video feed loss persisted but not as bad… just the opposite of the way the first bird was upon receipt …….while swapping out screen devices in search of a solution I took the bird outside for a quickie test with Galaxy Tab 6A.. 5.1.1 connected…. then at takeoff at approx. 6ft altitude the bird started moving forward very slow and a bit to port… The only response I could get was down and it was slow… the bird was about 1 ft off the ground 15 ft. from where it started when it eased into the side of the porch… the bird clipped the boards and fell the remaining 1 ft. distance to the ground & the battery popped out….no visible damage… did knock off one prop but it was not damaged .. was a very gentle occurrence….

After that I brought the bird back inside and with props removed I turned it on with Galaxy Tab 6A connected and a message came up for a firmware update… after numerous failed attempts. Sorry I don’t remember the message but the process would not start…

Hooked the drone to the PC with DJI Assistant 2 and the firmware update went thru with no issues….

However when attempting the calibration process in DJI Assistant 2, I had the same results as with the first drone… It would not complete the process past 90% where it would freeze….

I called service again and they were nice but directed me to the “New Online” method for case numbers…

Went thru the process and was issued CAS-403154-X5T5M2

I could not give up…while waiting on the shipping label I searched the web and found that some were having issue with DJI Assistant 2 calibration on PC’s… With this in mind I went to windows settings on my PC and made a cheap monitor my main display…. Calibration process went thru just like it should on the cheapo monitor… 2000.00 HP monitor would not work… 150.00 asus monitor smooth as silk…go figure….

With the drone calibration completed and a fresh firmware upgrade and a fresh IMU calibration after firmware upgrade on 1-11-17 I went for another test flight with the Galaxy Tab 6A 5.1.1 connected….Aircraft was stable but video feed was dropping out worse than ever and would stay hooked for no more than 30 sec. so I brought it in to land and I also lost control of the roll both directions at end of flight while landing.  Removed the Galaxy Tab 6A 5.1.1 and connected the Note 4.. 6.0.1 and no more video feed issues, no control issues… bird flies wonderful with the Note 4 since firmware update on the 11th.. will borrow sons ipad this weekend to see how it compares…

1.      1.  Not all android os respond the same to DJI go 4

2.      2. Not all pc monitors with disregard for the monitor quality will function with DJI Assistant 2 calibration.

3.     3.  I believe an iffy android device can have strange/negative affects on your aircraft… this is to include having any other fly app on the device…

4.       Before sending your bird back I urge you to exhaust all resources and friends devices you can borrow for comparison….

Service dept. I thank you for the latest case number CAS-403154-X5T5M2 but I am thrilled to ask you to cancel the request…. The label will not be used…

Peace

Johnny

2017-1-13
Use props
fans66488b86
lvl.4
Flight distance : 728235 ft
  • >>>
United States

You dont have the P4p+ if your  connecting other devices to it to fly. The + has it own dedicated screen attached to the RC
2017-1-13
Use props
Houseshoe
lvl.1

United States

"You dont have the P4p+ if your  connecting other devices to it to fly. The + has it own dedicated screen attached to the RC"

Sorry about the typo... yes it is a p4p....

The ipad i was going to try wasn't compatable with the DJI go 4 app so i am stuck with the note 4 that is working well after the last firmware update but such a small screen
I did see alot of bad DJI Go 4 app reviews in the Google app store when i went to download the app so i am guessing my issue with flakey compatability with the Android system is typical and will eventually work with enough time...
Only time i have ever wanted an apple device....
Peace
Johnny
2017-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules