Confused re. Compass
912 6 2017-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAF99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14423 ft
Canada

New owner of a Phantom 4 Pro+ here busy trying to digest the manuals and instructional videos. I'm confused about the compass. In the YouTube videos for Phantom 4 it says to set compass before every flight. In the Phantom 4 + User Manual it says don't reset unless advised by the controller software.  Is there a difference between Phantom4 and Phantom4+ in this regard or am I missing something?

Thanks.
2017-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's unclear whether there is a physical difference or DJI just updated the badly worded manual.
The youtubers you mention don't know what they are talking about.
It was never a good idea to recalibrate the Phantom each flight.

You will be better off not messing with compass calibration.
As the manual says, don't touch it.
I have more than 60 flights on the new bird for a distance of 220km without a single calibration of anything and it's performing perfectly.
2017-1-13
Use props
DAF99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14423 ft
Canada

Thank you Labroides. I will proceed based on your advice. Just to be clear, the 'YouTubers' in this case was an official DJI Instructional video for the Phantom 4.
2017-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAF99 Posted at 2017-1-13 16:28
Thank you Labroides. I will proceed based on your advice. Just to be clear, the 'YouTubers' in this case was an official DJI Instructional video for the Phantom 4.

That's not surprising.
The DJI manual section on compass calibration was always confused and the troops were just following the company line.
2017-1-13
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

I have not calibrated anything when I got my P4P+ a few weeks ago. After about a week when I was running some tests, the controller issued a calibrate compass message and I did so at that time. I have not done any other calibrations since then. Also I believe that I got that compass message because I had left two magnetized files out and I put my Phantom down pretty close to them.
2017-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

P4P+ Posted at 2017-1-13 16:54
I have not calibrated anything when I got my P4P+ a few weeks ago. After about a week when I was running some tests, the controller issued a calibrate compass message and I did so at that time. I have not done any other calibrations since then. Also I believe that I got that compass message because I had left two magnetized files out and I put my Phantom down pretty close to them.

"the controller issued a calibrate compass message"

The manual still isn't perfect.
If you get a compass error message the first thing to do is look at where your Phantom is.
If the compass error is because you put the Phantom down on a car roof, manhole cover, reinforced concrete etc, you do not want to recalibrate there.
Simply moving away from the magnetic interference should be all that's needed.
2017-1-13
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

I Second what Labroides said,  Once you have a good calibration leave it alone until the Go App says otherwise.
More damage is done by doing unnecessary compass calibrations than just about anything else. (except perhaps unnecessary FW updates     )
I have  137 flights on my 2 phantoms  and only calibrate after a major change to the birds,    I go out to a nice vacant grassy field with nothing about , make sure I take off my watch  and leave car keys ,phone etc, behind and perform the calibration there . Check the readings in the sensor menu and if good then I leave it alone no matter where I fly .   If I get a compass error when setting up I'll look around for the cause and move if necessary instead of fiddling with a good compass.
2017-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules