drone stability issues.
2413 23 2017-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
squidd
lvl.1

United States

When I first got this the mavic it was awesome. It never moved when i took off it was basically still, even with high winds. Now everyime I take off it goes crazy. its unpredictable and flys in all directions when im not touching the controller, keep in mind this is now with little to no wind at all. Had my first crash today luckily it was only into a bush of mine but it snapped one of my propellers. I reclaibrated EVERYTHING and made sure i had the latest firmware on both the drone and RC. Also having focusing issues. I treat this as a flying camera not a toy, and i barely fly it. I'm really let down after paying $1400 for a drone.
2017-1-13
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

That sounds really unusual.  Something's not right.  Have you thought about taking a video of it in action?
2017-1-13
Use props
squidd
lvl.1

United States

gonna record a video of it tomorrow and ill post it. Prob better to see with the sun out. Taking it snowboarding for the 2nd time I was really hoping it would be able to stay still for rails / boxes like it was for the first time i took it to the mountains.
2017-1-13
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Did you recalibrate compas or IMU since?
2017-1-13
Use props
squidd
lvl.1

United States

yep both, didnt help
2017-1-13
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Yep, that's not cool.  A video in the daylight might be good.  That way people can give you their opinion of its relative stability vs. theirs.  As you say though, it originally was much more stable for you, so it definitely sounds like something's up.
2017-1-13
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Probably worth trying a factory reset and firmware rollback. Hassle but probably the only you've still to try.
2017-1-13
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Are using IOS or Android and what phone are you using?
2017-1-13
Use props
squidd
lvl.1

United States

ok so today was worse. i freaked out and thought I lost my drone. After take off, and about 20 feet up it just took off on me. it flew away from me max speed. i thought it was the wind, but no way in hell that could have happened. idk whats going on. i didnt get a chance to hit the record button as i freaked out and was making sure my drone didnt hit anyone at the ski resort i was at. Im using an android device also. im gonna try a factory reset tomorrow. im tired. stability issue video will posted tomorrow!
2017-1-14
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

So everything perfect with the mavic one flight .... Then next flight and subsequent flights ... Nothing but problems?  Did you crash it prior to experiencing problems? If you did ...that information is in the drone and you can't delete it.... Might not be the case .. But alot of these threads end up as a pilot spinning the truth aiming for a warranty claim.
2017-1-14
Use props
SkyHigh UAV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2838921 ft
Australia

Maybe get your hands on an ios device to double check ???

2017-1-14
Use props
squidd
lvl.1

United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-14 23:20
So everything perfect with the mavic one flight .... Then next flight and subsequent flights ... Nothing but problems?  Did you crash it prior to experiencing problems? If you did ...that information is in the drone and you can't delete it.... Might not be the case .. But alot of these threads end up as a pilot spinning the truth aiming for a warranty claim.

i would complain to DJI directly for a warranty claim, i just wanted to see if i was the only person with this issue. I'm not on here everyday looking at everyones issues.
2017-1-16
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

squidd Posted at 2017-1-16 07:34
i would complain to DJI directly for a warranty claim, i just wanted to see if i was the only person with this issue. I'm not on here everyday looking at everyones issues.

I am having the exact same issue, and cannot find any help. I've calibrated everything multiple times in different places hoping I'd finally get some results, but nothing. DJI support is nearly impossible to even contact honestly. Going to try a factory reset tomorrow also. Let us know if that works for you, I've been so so frustrated with this issue.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for the crash. Can the drone hover stably after the crash? Please contact the US support:
Telefon: +1 (818) 235 0789 Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (PST), and then they will help to solve the problem.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Sorry for the crash. Can the drone hover stably after the crash? Please contact the US support:
Telefon: +1 (818) 235 0789 Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (PST), and then they will help to solve the problem.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

mscarohaley Posted at 2017-1-17 21:34
I am having the exact same issue, and cannot find any help. I've calibrated everything multiple times in different places hoping I'd finally get some results, but nothing. DJI support is nearly impossible to even contact honestly. Going to try a factory reset tomorrow also. Let us know if that works for you, I've been so so frustrated with this issue.

Could you please describe the situation in detail, so that we can figure the problem out.
By the way, you can contact us directly here via Email, Online-Chat and Telefon: http://www.dji.com/support/product.
2017-1-17
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2017-1-17 23:02
Could you please describe the situation in detail, so that we can figure the problem out.
By the way, you can contact us directly here via Email, Online-Chat and Telefon: http://www.dji.com/support/product.

No one has responded to my emails, ever. Online-Chat person told me calibration was my issue even after telling them I had done so many times. Will try calling again if I get desperate enough.
2017-1-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

mscarohaley Posted at 2017-1-18 13:44
No one has responded to my emails, ever. Online-Chat person told me calibration was my issue even after telling them I had done so many times. Will try calling again if I get desperate enough.

I calibrated my IMU 3 or 4 times on a few "level" surfaces, but those just didn't help enough.  I calibrated the IMU once more at a local CNC machine shop.  I take the PROPS OFF.  They have PERFECTLY leveled tables & granite blocks for just this type of thing.  Reboot.  Performed an auto gimbal calibration, reboot, gimbal again.

Went out to an empty field with no metal anywhere including the ground.  Calibrated the compass there.  Oh I also did the VPS calibration using DJI Assistant 2.

I believe the combination of proper, precise calibrations helped my Mavic.

Yes, support is frustrating with which to deal.  Hopefully my experience will help.
2017-1-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

Also important to note was I was getting a blinking yellow sometimes in-between all the normal green intermittently.  This no longer happens.

After the IMU & gimbal calibrations, I'd either get the 2 slow red blinking "IMU Error" lights or a gimbal wheel error on the R/C...  But only once, so I rebooted everything (it didn't fly erratically though).  I suppose a short test flight trying out hovering and full gimbal movement is a must.  

Haven't had any weird squawks yet!  Whew!
2017-1-18
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-1-18 14:15
I calibrated my IMU 3 or 4 times on a few "level" surfaces, but those just didn't help enough.  I calibrated the IMU once more at a local CNC machine shop.  I take the PROPS OFF.  They have PERFECTLY leveled tables & granite blocks for just this type of thing.  Reboot.  Performed an auto gimbal calibration, reboot, gimbal again.

Went out to an empty field with no metal anywhere including the ground.  Calibrated the compass there.  Oh I also did the VPS calibration using DJI Assistant 2.

Thank you for your experience. I have redone calibration today on a concrete slab that is supposed to be level, but I may  have to find a machine shop. Here is a video of how mine was hovering today, it's basically all around. I think something is loose in the mavic itself because I also got this notifcation for a minute until I rebooted. "Gimbal cannot receive MC Data Unplug the 8 pin wire between the damping plate and aircraft, and check that no pins are loose."  Any idea how to remove the "damping plate"?

2017-1-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

mscarohaley Posted at 2017-1-18 18:54
Thank you for your experience. I have redone calibration today on a concrete slab that is supposed to be level, but I may  have to find a machine shop. Here is a video of how mine was hovering today, it's basically all around. I think something is loose in the mavic itself because I also got this notifcation for a minute until I rebooted. "Gimbal cannot receive MC Data Unplug the 8 pin wire between the damping plate and aircraft, and check that no pins are loose."  Any idea how to remove the "damping plate"?

https://youtu.be/M-fl-ZfeI4w

Only DJI repair would know that, as that is an internal connection.

But the hovering just looks like (you're gonna hate to hear this) PROPER calibration is needed.  It looks like the IMU is fighting itself to figure out level.  It's like when you're drunk & you can't even stand up lol.

I'd do the IMU on a leveled surface at a machine shop.  They should have something that is leveled within 0.001 of an inch or so.  The one I used was.  Also do the gimbal after a successful IMU & reboot.  Then after you get home, do a VPS calibration on the computer if you haven't already (DJI Assistant).  See how those calibrations do.  It just takes 1 great IMU calibration, so the effort is worth it.  It should extend your flight time by a little bit since it's not constantly fighting itself if this all works.
2017-1-18
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-1-18 21:19
Only DJI repair would know that, as that is an internal connection.

But the hovering just looks like (you're gonna hate to hear this) PROPER calibration is needed.  It looks like the IMU is fighting itself to figure out level.  It's like when you're drunk & you can't even stand up lol.

Haha yeah, IMU calibration is all I keep hearing. I've done it about 6 times now. I will find a machine shop today and try that, but all the metal around didn't effect yours? All of the online tutorials say to do it away from metal. I did IMU calibration on a perfectly level concrete slab outdoors yesterday, it seemed to help some but not much. Also, I hovered it to check on it this morning and when I pressed return home, which was about 4 feet below it as I had not flown it anywhere just did the initial take off and hovered in place. When I pressed return home it took off into the sky, and not like usual, it kept going up up and up..it made it 300 ft up in the air before I was able to cancel return home and just hit land. Where the heck was it going??
2017-1-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

mscarohaley Posted at 2017-1-19 08:27
Haha yeah, IMU calibration is all I keep hearing. I've done it about 6 times now. I will find a machine shop today and try that, but all the metal around didn't effect yours? All of the online tutorials say to do it away from metal. I did IMU calibration on a perfectly level concrete slab outdoors yesterday, it seemed to help some but not much. Also, I hovered it to check on it this morning and when I pressed return home, which was about 4 feet below it as I had not flown it anywhere just did the initial take off and hovered in place. When I pressed return home it took off into the sky, and not like usual, it kept going up up and up..it made it 300 ft up in the air before I was able to cancel return home and just hit land. Where the heck was it going??

It may be a compass issue, if you calibrate compass in a bad area your compass may well calibrate, but this will be a bad calibration, meaning it has calibrated with interference all around it, so when you take it up out of this environment it reacts a bit crazy.

I would go to an open grass field away from any interference i.e. Metal concrete, phone RC watch and preform proper calibration, try it then.

If this doesn't make any difference I think you should contact support.

After a crash IMU can be disrupted, but  easiest way to see if this is a problem is if aircraft is not sitting level in the air, if it's drifting, or if it's not shutting down on left stick down for 3 seconds.
Good luck..
2017-1-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

mscarohaley Posted at 2017-1-19 08:27

Metal only affects the compass calibration.  

And when I'm saying PERFECTLY level, I'm talking about something leveled with a laser or leveling machine to tight engineering standards; not construction standards.  A marble shouldn't move on a level surface.

You've got me on that RTH "I'm outta here" thing.  But I've seen THAT issue on this forum a couple times.  I'm telling you, that good IMU calibration fixed lots of weird stuff for me.  This also isn't my first Mavic.  First 2 had sensor focus issues from horrible assembly I'm guessing.  So you may not want to get too romantic with that particular Mavic just yet.
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules