Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

[size=1.15em]New Firmware Not so Hot

[size=14.6667px]Well this is the 5th flight with the P4P. New firmware installed, cold IMU calibration, and gimbal calibration on a level surface. Compass calibration.
All setting defaulted to factory settings. Flying temp -6c

Gimbal drift worse now with the new firmware, wanders on it's own, flying or not. This camera is larger and heavier, did DJI increase the motor size for the gimbal compared to the P4?

Now the video is pixelated and glitching in all formats tested today with a new Lexar 1000x 64GB card. Minimum write speeds of 30MB
HD 120fps H265
UHD 60fps H264
UHD 30fps H264
UHD 30fps H265

Was flying backward toward the sun and the obstacle avoidance kicked in as it thought something was behind it, I was 150 feet off the ground and nothing was behind the P4P. Happened multiple times

Out of the 3 flights today I encountered 4 times of sudden loss of GPS with 17 satellites, followed by loss of complete control (thought that this was going to be a flyaway, I have never encountered one), followed by IMU Heading Exception, the only way to regain control was to go back to atti mode.

This bird will not fly straight and will fly diagonal with the sticks forward or backward. Multiple compass calibrations did nothing.
This was also verified when mapping as the photos are skewed as it was flying parallel to a road so they should have been straight.

Focus system is so slow that when in mapping mode it missed taking many shots. So I had to place in manual mode. This works but again the manual focus wheel is not accurate at all and drifts with temperature change. This means infinity is not infinity and cannot be trusted especially for night shots.
It will be next to impossible to achieve a perfectly sharp image at night.

I had another 2 battery's charged and ready for more testing but after the gong show it was time to stop before something drastic happened.

Absolutely need ND with these bright conditions, not enough adjustment unless you want F11 and a super high shutter speed. I have some on order.

I have another friend with a new P4P and encountered the same uncontrollable drone this afternoon when in GPS mode and reverted to atti mode to regain control. He will be posting his nightmare shortly.

I will downgrade the firmware and wait for DJI to get their act together and I am hoping this is not a hardware issue with the video encoding

File 2017-01-14, 8 43 50 PM.jpg
2017-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How do you know that the firmware has anything to do with what you are reporting?
It could be the completely unnecessary compass and IMU recalibrations you performed.
Lots of other users are reporting no problems at all with the new firmware.
I know mine is working perfectly.

Object avoidance can get spooked by flying toward the sun - that's not related to firmware.
2017-1-14
Use props
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-14 19:56
How do you know that the firmware has anything to do with what you are reporting?
It could be the completely unnecessary compass and IMU recalibrations you performed.

Have a look on the Facebook P4P page. I am not the only one. I also have a local friend and this exact same issue with the loss of control happened after his firmware upgrade.  It may or may not be related but it is a problem
2017-1-14
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

epicjib Posted at 2017-1-14 21:44
Have a look on the Facebook P4P page. I am not the only one. I also have a local friend and this exact same issue with the loss of control happened after his firmware upgrade.  It may or may not be related but it is a problem

Aloha jib,

Beyond what Labroides noted, you appear to have been flying outside of specifications;

Flying temp -6c

That looks like 6 degrees below zero and the P4P is specified to only 0 degrees.  Am I missing something here?  Both you and your friend have no reason for expectations of stable and programmed flight as far as I can see from what you wrote.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-15
Use props
zerubeusy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108547 ft

France

After updating my AC last night I've tried to fly it in -3c and guess what ? the remote controller didn't even connect to the AC, then when I go back to home it did connect so I tried to go out and retry again but as expected the AC don't want to connect with the RC , I think this is a new restriction to prevent accident, If so I like this feature    
2017-1-15
Use props
FLTolbert
lvl.1
Flight distance : 338264 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-14 19:56

I cannot even get the new firmware to upload using the P4P and the DJI GO 4.
2017-1-15
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FLTolbert Posted at 2017-1-15 14:52

Well, that's unusual, but is it safe to assume that you can via Assistant 2? That worked fine for me anyway...
2017-1-15
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FLTolbert Posted at 2017-1-15 14:52

Which phone or pad are you using and what OS?

IOS OR Android?
2017-1-15
Use props
fans24bad126
lvl.2
Flight distance : 710587 ft
United States

I'm having the exact same errors.  Obstacle avoidance freezing the bird at 300 feet in the air, gimbal drifting while sitting on the ground or in flight,  flying crooked (I've calibrated remote as well as P4P), and the dreaded IMU Heading Exception error.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the new firmware, but there is for sure an issue.  I've been flying in above 0 C weather.
2017-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules