CANADA - Alberta
3297 18 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Might as well get a thread in here for the Alberta folks.
2017-1-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Knock knock?

Who's there?

Edmonton.

Edmonton Who?

Edmonton Alberta... Haha

We are in the capital region here...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-15
Use props
BluWolf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3163 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-15 20:11
Knock knock?

Who's there?

Another Edmontonian? And i thought i was he only one! Where / when do you fly?
2017-1-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

No not alone. As there are several of us here, on the forum, from the capital city of Alberta.
I fly, pretty much where ever I feel like it. Haha
Preferably large open parks, vacant sports fields, and of course at our designated heli field.
www.ercha.ca

What about you? ;-)
Finding any interesting areas to enjoy your drone?

Hawrelak Park has been a lot of fun for me... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-1-20
Use props
Stormchaser
New

Canada

Howdy from Nova Scotia. I am a newbie, live next to a municipal airport, wondering how to get permission to fly?
Any help would be great

Thanks Dave
2017-1-22
Use props
BluWolf
lvl.1
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-20 11:25
No not alone. As there are several of us here, on the forum, from the capital city of Alberta.
I fly, pretty much where ever I feel like it. Haha
Preferably large open parks, vacant sports fields, and of course at our designated heli field.

I got the drone for xmas, and my P3 has been in the air once so far for about 5 minutes in my front yard. There is a large school ground behind the complex i live in that is looking really inviting - just have to wait for some warmer weather and the time to be able to do it of course. I am more than a bit hesitant about taking the drone up within the city limits - do we need any special permissions that you know of? or is it just using common sense and staying away from people / structures in the city?
2017-1-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Stormchaser Posted at 2017-1-22 11:22
Howdy from Nova Scotia. I am a newbie, live next to a municipal airport, wondering how to get permission to fly?
Any help would be great

The airport authority, Call them and tell those folks of your Intensions.  Otherwise you may have to travel a bit further away, so you can fly, without worry.  

RedHotPoker
2017-1-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BluWolf Posted at 2017-1-22 12:08
I got the drone for xmas, and my P3 has been in the air once so far for about 5 minutes in my front yard. There is a large school ground behind the complex i live in that is looking really inviting - just have to wait for some warmer weather and the time to be able to do it of course. I am more than a bit hesitant about taking the drone up within the city limits - do we need any special permissions that you know of? or is it just using common sense and staying away from people / structures in the city?

Oh oh, trouble ahead. Hahaha
Make sure that you have read the flight manual!  RTFM. ;-$
I hope you aren't hesitating for fear of flying?! ;-)
Take short flights, keep the drone rather low to the ground like 15'-20' and only fly in open areas away from obvious obstacles like trees or buildings. You will be fine. The onboard flight SIM can be a great way to familiarize yourself with the RC sticks, and get a good feeling of the drone in flight.
Just take it slow and practice well, while your confidence builds. It's a fun hobby with plenty of rewarding experiences for you.
Where about do you live?

Over by Southgate here.
RedHotPoker
2017-1-22
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Here's another Edmontonian, old lonely and grouchy hobbyist who hate all the moronity involved in drone business ... The thing is that I DON'T fly my drones within the city, except for testing. Wellington Park is the best place for me to do just that ... My birds (P3P and I1P so far) are used almost exclusively for amateur photography and video in remote landscapes of BC interior during summer season ... Far from development and all other issues related to humans existence ... Did I mention "lonely"?
2017-1-22
Use props
BluWolf
lvl.1
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-22 12:46
Oh oh, trouble ahead. Hahaha
Make sure that you have read the flight manual!  RTFM. ;-$
I hope you aren't hesitating for fear of flying?! ;-)

Other end of the city - Castle downs area and yes, it might be a fear of flying that is stopping me more than anything - i flew model aircraft for some time, and played with RC cars / trucks. With all the safe guards built in to the P3 I would have thought i would be out every day - but other priorites keep coming up.
I have two batteries so far - how many are most people running?
2017-1-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BluWolf Posted at 2017-1-23 13:44
Other end of the city - Castle downs area and yes, it might be a fear of flying that is stopping me more than anything - i flew model aircraft for some time, and played with RC cars / trucks. With all the safe guards built in to the P3 I would have thought i would be out every day - but other priorites keep coming up.
I have two batteries so far - how many are most people running?

Oh, your this side of St.Albert then? Haha
Ah, well, when you get some time, take it out and have some fun. Yes, the latest Phantoms are very easy to fly. Just go slow and keep it close to home for the first while. It will become easier every time...

Extra flight batteries, are good, I have four in total, and want to acquire a couple more of them. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-23
Use props
BluWolf
lvl.1
Canada

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-1-22 14:22
Here's another Edmontonian, old lonely and grouchy hobbyist who hate all the moronity involved in drone business  ... The thing is that I DON'T fly my drones within the city, except for testing. Wellington Park is the best place for me to do just that ... My birds (P3P and I1P so far) are used almost exclusively for amateur photography and video in remote landscapes of BC interior during summer season ... Far from development and all other issues related to humans existence ... Did I mention "lonely"?

Good to read you are on this end of the city! I will take the advise of Red and take things slow - flying the quads is MUCH different that winged aircraft - there will be a transition period for sure!
2017-1-24
Use props
FanOfFlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1983760 ft
Canada

I thought I would drop a note and introduce myself....  Just got my inspire 2 today!  From the 'Calgary Area'
2017-1-25
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Stormchaser Posted at 2017-1-22 11:22
Any help would be great

Howdy Dave.  You can only fly around an airport if you like the risk of jail...after that you can ask your parole officer for permission.

Regulation is 9km from airport.  You can fly indoors of course; find ourself a far away open field.  
2017-1-26
Use props
Surrealplaces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 908819 ft
Canada

Calgarian here.

Here's my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGMlbtmvGbZtHLewUHi-2fg
2017-5-3
Use props
Surrealplaces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 908819 ft
Canada

BluWolf Posted at 2017-1-24 09:01
Good to read you are on this end of the city! I will take the advise of Red and take things slow - flying the quads is MUCH different that winged aircraft - there will be a transition period for sure!

I think you'll find the Quads quite easy to fly Blue Wolf. Especially if you've already flown RC Airplanes, Quads will be a breeze.
2017-5-3
Use props
fans81644059
New

Canada

Hey friends, Another user from Beaumont-Edmonton, Alberta. I fly DJI Mavic Pro. My email  senthilshiv@yahoo.com
2017-5-4
Use props
akio0504
New

Hi guys, i'm about to get my 1st P3P, wonder how and where you guys can legally fly your drones here. Did some researches but i'm still confused about the rules and yeah, my biggest fear is breaking the rule lol
2018-7-22
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

akio0504 Posted at 2018-7-22 20:16
Hi guys, i'm about to get my 1st P3P, wonder how and where you guys can legally fly your drones here. Did some researches but i'm still confused about the rules and yeah, my biggest fear is breaking the rule lol

Hi guys.  From Calgary here.  
I just finished reading the new "laws" around flying drones in Canada (effective June 1).  If you're from Calgary like I am, they limit where you can fly more than ever.  It used to be you had to be 9km from an airport, but now you need to be 13 km which is the radial distance of 'Controlled Air Space' around the Calgary international airport.  This bleeds into the controlled airspace of the Spring Bank airport which effectively limits your flying to somewhere greater than 26km west of Calgary!  At least they raised the max altitude to 120m from 90 meters so that's good but unfortunately I can no longer fly in some of my local open spaces.  I should point out that these changes apply to "basic" or recreational operations.  'Advance' operations are less limited and require permissions. Advanced operations are limited to certain models of drones (listed on the government website) and none listed are DJI products.  That means all DJI drones will be considered "basic" and limited to the laws around basic operations.
With such limitations I would advise any prospective drone buyers to save your money and don't bother unless you're willing to travel ~ 30km outside of Calgary to fly you drone every time!  
I suspect if you looked at the extent to Controlled Airspace in and around Edmonton that this has significantly restricted the areas where Edmontonians can fly as well.  It's too bad that some few bad apples have spoiled fun for many of us.
2019-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules