First crash after YEARS of flying DJI products. Help appreciated!
1234Next >
7429 156 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
REDBARON0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2456043 ft
Canada

I'm thinking that some , myself included, will be cautious about a pilot , experienced or otherwise, not just taking ownership for a series of oversight and fingerprinting just because he / she claims to be a supa-fly
2017-1-18
Use props
REDBARON0
lvl.3
Canada

There seems to be some story consistency issues. I'm done ...
2017-1-18
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I did a search.

I have seen this George Clooney guy. He sells coffee on TV.
2017-1-18
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

REDBARON0 Posted at 2017-1-18 15:11
I'm thinking that some , myself included, will be cautious about a pilot , experienced or otherwise, not just taking ownership for a series of oversight and fingerprinting just because he / she claims to be a supa-fly

Why is it only in the drone community that there are several negative people?

I don't even understand what you are getting at.

I am not claiming to be "supa-fly" and I based on your comments, you seem to making a play that I am trying to figure out a way to not "take ownership".  The fact remains that this is my first crash and I just want to figure out why the WP mission went off.

I have never said it wasn't my fault. I have never said it was a fault of anything.

I have no idea why it went off the waypoint. Obviously I didn't set a WP mission into a tree and if I did, i wouldn't have been able to fly it past the first point.

It was off course and all I am after is to try and figure out from hopefully someone that knows more than I, why. It must have had something to do with that "altitude limit mode entered" but I don't know that is and never saw it.

There has not been any inconsistiencies and if there are, they are not intentional.  Quit being so negative and confrontational.

I have several other birds to fly.  I am much more concerned with the WHY than any other part but when I posted this thread, I had a feeling this would be the result because I seem to have a problem with all the negative nellies which seem to plague the UAS community for a reason I will never understand.

This is a hobby.  It should be enjoyed and spoken about with comradely with fellow fliers.  

I just posted a full tutorial/review of filters with some nice shots for the community.  That's what a community should do, not just randomly and unnecessarily sling insults and insinuations for no reason.
But if you're done, that's cool with me.  If not, please follow rule #1 in life. Be kind.

Be well.

Here, check out this thread instead.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;extra=#pid654215
2017-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-18 15:23
Why is it only in the drone community that there are several negative people?

I don't even understand what you are getting at.

I think it's fair to say there has been a lot of patience shown by members here.

Firstly you asked for (your title) "HELP APPRECIATED "

When members were willing to help, they asked for logs to help them understand what happened and to give you their opinions and what could have been helpful comments.

It looks reading this thread that you are an authority on almost everything to do with flying videoing, uploading downloading autonomous flying , just to mention a few .

It doesn't seem credible that with all your experience, that you can't upload a simple file, having been giving instructions on how to , having been giving links , you still are offering excuses as to why you are unable to post your logs.

I have seen complete beginners come here ask for advice, getting the advice and arriving back to this forum in minutes with there logs.

I'm at a stage of not knowing whether to commiserate with you for crashing your P4 , or congratulate you for getting so much attention.

It might be time to stop with all the B/S , because everyone is getting weary. I do think you  now only have yourself to blame for the negative comments...
2017-1-18
Use props
s0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

Disclaimer: I've never tried waypoints, and I can't work out from the messages where your waypoints actually were, so I may be completely wrong on this. But I've just looked at your youtube video and the course seems to be less of a problem than altitude.

Compare your first pass over (not between) those trees at 1m46s, and the next time when you went into the tree at 3m8s. You were lower for this second pass.

You weren't just low then, you were already low as you approached the white towers about 30s earlier - compare 1m17s with 2m26s. On the second pass you nearly flew into that white tower but veered to the right - was your change of course due to obstacle avoidance because you were going to hit the tower?

Having changed course due to obstacle avoidance, did it then take a different route to your next waypoint, explaining the variance in route? And hit the tree because those top branches were too thin to be detected by OA?

Why were you lower? Was this to do with your altitude limit warning, forcing you lower?? Or might it be (remember I know nothing about waypoints!) that you had set waypoints either side of a hill? When setting them you flew manually over the hill with sufficient clearance, but when flying the mission it took the shortest route just skimming the treetops (literally!) with the help of obstacle avoidance?

If you replay the missions in the DJI GO app you can see the heights at each point and so see when it started to go lower.
2017-1-18
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-18 16:22
I think it's fair to say there has been a lot of patience shown by members here.

Firstly you asked for (your title) "HELP APPRECIATED "

I am a beginner at crashing and I this has all played itself out on another thread and I was able to upload just fine on PhantomPilots.

I am not really interested in figuring this out anymore and have asked the mods to delete it.

I am truly appreciative of peoples help.

I habe uploaded the txt files to HD and Phantom Help.

Here is a link to the Healthy Drones.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=jSvVsw

I provided a link to the .txt file already from PhantomHelp if someone wants it.

I don't know what else I am supposed to do.

I have posted videos, logs, and everything necessary,

I appreciate people's concern, truly but I am no longer interested in figuring it out.  I understand what happened at this point, but its up to experts beyond my knowledge to figure out why.

This is no longer a mystery,

Thank you so much for your concern!

Enjoy this sizzle reel I just put up and there is a tutorial I posted as a return to the community.  

2017-1-18
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

s0 Posted at 2017-1-18 16:26
Disclaimer: I've never tried waypoints, and I can't work out from the messages where your waypoints actually were, so I may be completely wrong on this. But I've just looked at your youtube video and the course seems to be less of a problem than altitude.

Compare your first pass over (not between) those trees at 1m46s, and the next time when you went into the tree at 3m8s. You were lower for this second pass.

That is exactly what I think.

I don't know what exactly it is doing but it MUST be the thing at play that is throwing the WP mission off. I am not sure why.  That is the only thing I don't get.

I don't know what that limit mode is doing or why it was entered. I should have paid more attention to it and aborted the mission on the first time I got it but I suppoose I was over confident and didn't.

There is nothing like a crash (first or not) to humble you on your confidence. I will definitely be flying with more caution although I thought I was about as cautious as a pilot could be.

I am as cautious with my $10,000 (with other people's $50k cameras rigs) as I am with my Phantoms (which I enjoy flying the most).  So I guess I need to be more cautious but I suppose statisically, I was due for a crash. I literally have never had a crash until two days ago and it SUCKS! It's humbling.

Thanks for your opinion. I agree with it. I also agree that the OA missed it because of the fact that it came in so thin and so fast.

Thanks again!
EDIT: On the mission if you look, esentially you are looking at multiple passes, and where it ends is the tree.  The dude at PhantomPilots theorizes that I aborted the mission a little earlier and had I let it continue, it to would have been heading for the tree. He guessed this from the PhantomHelp .txt file and he also posted my stick movements.  I thought I was farther than that when I aborted the first pass (which I do when I have reached everything I have wanted to capture which I had by that point).  You can't deny emperical evidence but again, how do you crash on WPs that are set without crashing?  Must be the limit mode, right? It's the only variable in the equaition so now I must get on the horn with DJI and find out.  I tried yesterday to no avail (speaking to them that is).

I think they will be kind to me because I have never used any warranty and have bought several products from them for many years and have sold many as well. We shall see.  If I have to sell it for parts, so be it.  Not really concened with money and fault like I am being accused of left and right here. I am just wanting to know the WHY part because I am often flying in extremely expensive situations for my job (VFX artist).  I am sorry if my latter posts sounded annoyed.  I was, but only at a couple who were slinging insults for reasons I'll never understand. People come up with their own little theories and motivations and lob them at you and when they are far from true, it can be upsetting. I try to be kind to people and I expect it back. I suppose I should look inwardly and see what I am doing to make some people feel that way. I have nothing but love in my heart for me fellow humans and I am a God fearing man.  I don't ever want to be looked at as unappreciative or rude because I am so very appreciaive of people that take time to try and help me.
2017-1-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-18 17:13
That is exactly what I think.

I don't know what exactly it is doing but it MUST be the thing at play that is throwing the WP mission off. I am not sure why.  That is the only thing I don't get.

Just my insights on your flight.  From the screen shot where the drone is still recording in the tree, I see the collision avoidance sensor is OFF.  I have seen video of a P4 WP flight flying around obstructions in its path.  My own experience with repeating a favorite WP flight is that it does not track exactly the same on each flight.  I chalk this up to "civilian" GPS which can be off by several feet.  Its also why RTH sometimes doesn't land on the exact spot where it took off.  From the pics your P4 looks fixable, it most likely just needs a new shell.
2017-1-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-1-18 18:44
Just my insights on your flight.  From the screen shot where the drone is still recording in the tree, I see the collision avoidance sensor is OFF.  I have seen video of a P4 WP flight flying around obstructions in its path.  My own experience with repeating a favorite WP flight is that it does not track exactly the same on each flight.  I chalk this up to "civilian" GPS which can be off by several feet.  Its also why RTH sometimes doesn't land on the exact spot where it took off.  From the pics your P4 looks fixable, it most likely just needs a new shell.

There is a lot of talk about 'civilian' GPS, which is basically wrong. There used to be a distinction when the orignal GPS signals had a dithering in the signal to limit the accuracy, whereas military receivers could circumvent the dithering, but they switched off the dithering many years ago.

Since then, the quality of the GPS receiver has been fair to good, the ones in phones being quite ordinary, but decent GPS modlues are far more accurate. DJI use a quite high spec GPS receiver and it is capable of far greater accuracy than most people think.
2017-1-18
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-1-18 18:44

Appreciate the input but OA was just off after that point because of the crash but it was on and I have it set to stop not maneuver around.

The logs show that OA was on but I definitely don't fault OA for missing that as it was very small.

Also, the WP mission wasn't off by feet but by 100s of feet.  It was completely not where I thought it was or where it should have been and I don't know why.

I literally JUST put up a video that shows 4 WP missions side by side and you can see that they are pretty much directly on top of each other.  If you let it go through the points where the video goes full screen from the four boxes, you can see how close they are.  This was over the valley these shots so the you watch it wipe into the next shot on the same path, watch how dead on the waypoints are.  Just in case someone thinks I'm doing tricks, just look at cars or something to see that they are all indeed 4 different shots all flown with waypoints and I did use the DJI Go App for these.

Go to 4:04 to see.  I mean yeah, GPS isn't exact, but its pretty friggen exact and it's definitely not completely off without a reason.  I am almost certain, again, that it has to do with that "altitude limit mode" but as I've said, I never heard of it and apparently, nobody else has a good explanation about it.  I've stopped trying to figure it out.  I'll bring it to my boy at Drone's Plus tomorrow and if he can fix it, great, if DJI will, great, if they won't, then anyone need parts? The motors seem to run fine and I am getting a picture from the camera but the gimbal is dancing around funny on start up and settles on a weird spot. I am hoping against hope I can get a new casing for it and transfer the board, ESCs, motors, gimbal, etc and be good but I just have a feeling that gimbal is done for.  Not sure.

Go to 4:04 to see how close the WPs stay on.

Thanks brother.

2017-1-18
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

"I had a feeling this would be the result because I seem to have a problem with all the negative nellies which seem to plague the UAS community for a reason I will never understand."

Please don't be offended but If i could put it bluntly the reason is; You are a self proclaimed expert who is obviously not an expert and parts of your story don't add up or pass the logic test.

You made every excuse under the sun as to why you haven't been able to upload the log files and post the link... seems weird for a 10+ year expert to be running into simple issues like this.

2017-1-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

C_LUU Posted at 2017-1-18 23:32
"I had a feeling this would be the result because I seem to have a problem with all the negative nellies which seem to plague the UAS community for a reason I will never understand."

Please don't be offended but If i could put it bluntly the reason is; You are a self proclaimed expert who is obviously not an expert and parts of your story don't add up or pass the logic test.

'You made every excuse under the sun as to why you haven't been able to upload the log files and post the link... seems weird for a 10+ year expert to be running into simple issues like this.'

..and not being able to deal with them.
2017-1-18
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-18 23:54
'You made every excuse under the sun as to why you haven't been able to upload the log files and post the link... seems weird for a 10+ year expert to be running into simple issues like this.'

..and not being able to deal with them.

Are you guys still on about this?

Good lord. I have posted the links to the logs, posted the link to HealthyDrones, it is not my fault that a ,txt file is not accepted by DJI.

I have never been upset by anything here.  So bizarre. I have stated about 5x now that I, along with people who have helped me with the logs and other things have figured out what happened and thanked everyone and asked the mods to delete the thread and yeah, it feels sometimes like there are a lot of unnecessarily negative people in the RC community for whatever reason.  It must be me then if nobody else thinks that.

I am saying to you right now though, I never meant to offend or make anyone annoyed. I am thoroughly grateful for anyone that did, wanted to, or even did not want to help and not sure why the negative stuff had to keep popping up.  If you don't like that I pointed that out, I am sorry.  If I could go back in time and not post that, I would. I didn't realize I was dealing with such delicate sensibilities.

I am not saying I know how to do everything but I did figure out how to do each and every thing you mentioned here and have in the process have learned how to break down the info myself.  

I posted a pic of the forum not letting me upload a .txt file which you certainly can't do here.  It's not that it's not simple to do, it's impossible.  

As for the links, go back and read the thread over and you will see I have posted the links several times both though direct links and through another thread that was helpful at PhantomPIlots.

But here, if a link will make you think I'm super smart, here is the HD link again http://healthydrones.com/main?share=FPSsyt

I've also uploaded a 30 page document which I converted in numbers from PhantomHelp, have retrieved the stick information and fetched all the other data I needed.

Not really sure what I did to make you talk down to me. I have meant no disrespect to you or anyone else at any point.  I obviously should not have made that general post about people posting negatively because a couple people took it to heart.  But I can't unpost it and it's how I feel. I'm just the type of person that don't understand when people aren't kind to one another for no reason.

Wouldn't you rather post in the thread with the beautiful imagery anyway that I offered up twice now rather than tell me what is wrong with me?

God bless and I hope that we are straight now.  I think you and I bumped heads a while back. Text can sometimes be misinterpreted without an eye to eye.  I will look inward to see what I might be doing to frustrate people. It certainly is not my goal. I am done with this thread though and wish it would go away.

THANK YOU for real though.  That is not me placating or being backhanded, I really and truly am thankful for anyone that takes time out of their day to try and help me with something.  I am sorry if I offended you.  Sorry for being so redundant but it's becaue I so honestly feel like I want to beat the point home that I mean no disrespect, nor have I.

2017-1-19
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

C_LUU Posted at 2017-1-18 23:32

What am I a self proclaimed expert at?
I do have expertise in plenty of fields, including photography and visual effects so computers and cameras are something I know plenty about but I was just stating it, I wasn't flaunting anything.  You guys might be mistaking some of my non-action at times to when I was rushing and not responding right away to requests.  There was also another thread that I had started in PhantomPilots that was actually going somewhere and the conclusion as to what happened was pretty much figured out yesterday or this morning.  I'm punchy right now due to lack of sleep because I've been working like a mad man the last couple days and posting here between renders but as I said above, I meant no disrespect and I was not trying to flaunt any of my nerd knowledge as some great thing.  I am what i yam and thats all that I yam.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and you stated that I said that "I am an expert and I am obviously not an expert".  What did I say I was an expert of and how am I not?

As plenty of people know, I am a vfx supervisor, here is my IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4698198/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2 so I know how to handle a computer and all methodologies of tranferring data from one place to another in either direction. (IMDB page is missing a lot of stuff because I never submit). That doesnt mean I knew how to figure out how my quad crashed on its WP mission.  Honestly, I must just be tired becaue I don't even know what you guys are on about. I feel like I have been defending noting for a whole day.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please mods delete this thread.
2017-1-19
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Im really sorry to hear about your crash. This is just advice based on you wanting to stop this thread. Stop responding. The thread will die itself.

Hope you get your favourite bird repaired with minimal cost and your flying again soon.

All the best
2017-1-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-19 04:17
I do have expertise in plenty of fields, including photography and visual effects so computers and cameras are something I know plenty about but I was just stating it, I wasn't flaunting anything.  You guys might be mistaking some of my non-action at times to when I was rushing and not responding right away to requests.  There was also another thread that I had started in PhantomPilots that was actually going somewhere and the conclusion as to what happened was pretty much figured out yesterday or this morning.  I'm punchy right now due to lack of sleep because I've been working like a mad man the last couple days and posting here between renders but as I said above, I meant no disrespect and I was not trying to flaunt any of my nerd knowledge as some great thing.  I am what i yam and thats all that I yam.

I think it's fair to say that you also wanted your thread closed down on phantomhelp,

Having read your thread on phantomhelp it's seems very clear to me that you had actually written that tree into your waypoint mission and when you aborted your second mission just before the end of mission, you managed to miss the tree.
So when you flew your third mission right to the end your aircraft did exactly what it was supposed to do and ended up hitting the tree, that you miscalculated .
It's human error no big deal , it's something that we are all guilty of, pick up the pieces and let's get on with life.
I hope it works out for you, and thanks for other very informative videos. Good luck..
2017-1-19
Use props
Microchips
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3348051 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like AlecW post 10# was bang on
2017-1-19
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-19 10:00
I think it's fair to say that you also wanted your thread closed down on phantomhelp,

Having read your thread on phantomhelp it's seems very clear to me that you had actually written that tree into your waypoint mission and when you aborted your second mission just before the end of mission, you managed to miss the tree.

You literally just made all of that up and don't know how the GoApo WP missions work. They make you fly the mission first and mark the points so you can't fly into a tree twice.

Not that I need that because I also use Litchi and Autopilot to fly missions. I already spoke to DJI support and I was told there have been some common errors similar to this with certain conditions using NaviGo since the last update.

Nice try though.

Oh, and what in the hell is a thread on PhantomHelp? I'm assuming you mean PhantomPilots and Bud there was able to take the text file and break it down. I only wanted the info before I opened the ticket with DJI so I wasn't relying blindly on what they told me. As it turns out, this is a known issue and it's being sent for in warranty repair and if it wasn't, I wouldn't care and would just fix it. I don't WANT to spend the $150 or so it would cost to fix it but I'd still be able to eat.  I was only after figuring out what happened so I also knew. The reason they have you fly the missions first on GoApp is to make it idiot proof. You can't mark two points that fly into a tree! This isn't difficult stuff here.

2017-1-20
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Microchips Posted at 2017-1-19 10:16
Looks like AlecW post 10# was bang on

Why do I keep feeding the trolls I don't know. There is literally every single thing from my flight available right now in this thread including links to the HealthyDrones flight logs, the .txt file from PhamtomHelp and even a converted PDF before someone on another site actually helped and took that .txt file and came back with tons of info.

The proof is right in this thread so wtf are you even on about? Some of you people need more time with your ladies or something.
What I find so strange is there are more people here talking about nonsense that is not even true than joining a conversation on a thread about cameras, Phantoms and artistic techniques.

Literally every piece of knowledge about my flight is available in this thread if you actually read it and furthermore, DJI has already been looped in and have been extremely gracious and forthcoming about the issue.  Go find a conspiracy to complain about somewhere else because there ain't one here and never was. Good god, just odd baseless negativity. I don't like it.
2017-1-20
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

BashP4P+ Posted at 2017-1-19 07:14
Im really sorry to hear about your crash. This is just advice based on you wanting to stop this thread. Stop responding. The thread will die itself.

Hope you get your favourite bird repaired with minimal cost and your flying again soon.

Thanks mate. Yeah, I know. I don't know why I can't help myself. I feel like I want to turn a mirror on people that are rude for no reason in hopes that maybe they won't be. I suppose at my age, it's naive to think I could do that.

Thanks for the well wish! It's nice to see! ;)
2017-1-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-20 02:27
You literally just made all of that up and don't know how the GoApo WP missions work. They make you fly the mission first and mark the points so you can't fly into a tree twice.

Not that I need that because I also use Litchi and Autopilot to fly missions. I already spoke to DJI support and I was told there have been some common errors similar to this with certain conditions using NaviGo since the last update.

Sorry yeah phantompilots, if dji has told you there is a known problem with there waypoints , then maybe you should publish it here, so that others who run into this problem will also have a case for warranty claim, I'm sure this will be stated on your claim from dji.
You have a real knack in long winded post's, so I'm sure you won't be found wanting when it comes to reporting the problems that other flyers could face because of the failure of Dji waypoints programming.
2017-1-20
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hola ArtistFirst.... sorry for the loss.
A few of thought to try to help...
1) People who have been in this forum for a while start to get cynical about crash claims and rants.  This is because we have seen SO MANY rants against DJI because of a crash, and the vast majority of the time (like 97%) it turns out to be pilot error.
2) One indicator of a pilot who made a mistake but needs to believe they didn't is that they don't post flight logs or other information that would exonerate them... as soon as we start to get a whiff of a reluctancy to post logs, we go cynical because we have seen it too many times before.  It is a shock as to how many people have been caught in outright lies here.  I realize you have posted your stuff now, but it seemed to take you a while.  After a few people asked you to post your logs and you didn't, the perception of you started to change to the negative.
3) Your replies are way, way, way too long winded.  This can make you seem overly defensive, AND peoples eyes glaze over half way through your posts.  No-one cares as much as you do about superfluous details so you can start to lose support if you don't state your facts in a way that is meaningful to those trying to help.
4) As mentioned previously, it doesn't matter that you are an expert, or that you have been flying close to trees for 10 years... this flight failed (which is going to happen eventually).  The odds are with the house that eventually you will take a hit when you take a chance.
5) Never ever trust automation when flying in close proximity to objects.  The automation in the P4 is really cool, and the amount of technology in our hands for a relatively low $ is stunning, but this is still a consumer product and there are a thousand ways something can go wrong in the air using automation.

Anyway, I'm just trying to help, not stoke any flames and certainly not cause you to write another diatribe :-)
Take care buddy,
matt
2017-1-20
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-1-20 06:16
Hola ArtistFirst.... sorry for the loss.
A few of thought to try to help...
1) People who have been in this forum for a while start to get cynical about crash claims and rants.  This is because we have seen SO MANY rants against DJI because of a crash, and the vast majority of the time (like 97%) it turns out to be pilot error.

Thanks in all.

I appreciate the advice but I don't post on forums to get a degree in writing or to figure out ways to make people interested in my posts by making them more concise although I truly appreciate the offering.

I actually write very fast and am a manic person, especially while posting because I usually feel like I am in a rush when posting because of the feeling that there is something more important to be tended to.

As to the advice on how it looks to others by the posting not getting them what they asked me for...   In truth, if people are going to be so dramatic about flying quadcopters, I really can't help that and don't much care about it. These are people that I will never know and I have no interest in making them like me, but I do try and be very respectful to people in general, whether it's on a message board or in real life. There must be something about the way I post because in life, this is not a problem for me. I know nobody in my life that  gets so frustrated with nothing the way I see some people around here do.

I wish they didn't for themselves.  It truly doesn't effect me at all.  There are a lot more great people in this community than not and so if there are some that are not, no sweat off my neck.

I will just continue to be myself and that is someone that is cordial and nice to everyone unless given a reason not to.

I don't agree with your number 4.  I very may have or have not been at fault or not, thats not the point for this thread but I disagree wholeheartedly that I was flying a dangerous mission and if you think that's a dangerous mission that you shouldn't be flying.  I have flown some dangerous missions, and that aint what they look like.  I say that honestly, not to refute what you said. The idea that flying at the Valley around Molhalland is a dangerous thing to do (on WP or not is laughable) and if you would see it you would know why.  it is actually where a lot of beginners in SoCal are told to go to learn before they start flying in more dangerous locations.  Then you must have thought the locations that I shot at on the SoCal reel I just posted or let me show you my surfer shots which were VERY dangerous and I am quite proud of.  No, sorry that was not a dangerous flight or area to fly in or around.

I hope none of this sounds rude. It sort of feels rude and I want to not post it but I am not saying anything that isn't true but it sounds like I'm trying to fight you on what you're saying it, I'm not.  You night think its a dangerous place to fly but its just not.

Thanks for your input though. It is honestly appreciated its just so much unnecessary drama with this.

Adam
2017-1-20
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-19 04:17

As i mentioned in my reply, i dont mean any disrespect, im simply telling it how it is and how your posts come across.

I was refering to you comment "I am an expert pilot and have been flying model aircraft before you ever knew what one was and this was my first real crash." which you replied to someone who was offering help
2017-1-22
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

C_LUU Posted at 2017-1-22 19:35
As i mentioned in my reply, i dont mean any disrespect, im simply telling it how it is and how your posts come across.

I was refering to you comment "I am an expert pilot and have been flying model aircraft before you ever knew what one was and this was my first real crash." which you replied to someone who was offering help

It does sound ruder than I meant it and I appreciate your help but if you look at the chain of posts that lead to his saying that it started with "What do you expect if you fly your drone into a tree. Time for the parts bin now".

And then SOMEONE ELSE rightfully responded with "Bit harsh your comments He had what seems to be a waypoints program go wrong .ArtistFirst is looking for answers not negativity." to which he responded with his "help" about how we rely too much on automation and I shouldn't be flying near trees which led me to

"I've been flying for years...etc" which on the surface seems rude but I certainly didn't mean it to be and had already stopped looking for answers from someone that thinks it's a bad idea to fly around trees.  My point was I've been flying model aircrafts before it was in vogue and that I have flown around much more dangerous things than trees before and besides, it was not the tree that was the problem.

As I said before, I have flown over mountains, valleys, surfers, off boats, piers, forests, wind turbines, and many other interesting locales and trees are not a danger zone for even an intermediate flyer.

That was my only point and I wasn't even the one who called him out on being negative when I was just pinging the community for answers not unsolicited advice on where it is safe for me to fly.

Thank you though for your help.

Adam
2017-1-23
Use props
REDBARON0
lvl.3
Canada

I called this BS early in this thread.

Unfortunately , the story doesn't add up.

The info is out there, and  it's just under a big pile - o - steam.

The story doesn't wash between a few forums where ...ya know.

Simply move on now that it's in the hands of DJI. I won't enable this conversation any more. ...
2017-1-23
Use props
REDBARON0
lvl.3
Canada

Please people; don't waste your time here....
2017-1-23
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

REDBARON0 Posted at 2017-1-23 14:43
I called this BS early in this thread.

Unfortunately , the story doesn't add up.

You are very prophetic and kind.  Lol.

Exactly what were you calling BS on?  I have literally posted everything that was asked of me and I never had an anlgle here other than trying to find out what could be wrong.

That was the only purpose of this thread.  Not sure what your beef is.

What is it you think I'm after exactly?  Even if everyone here said "Oh man, not your fault" it wouldn't matter one iota as it is DJI who makes that determination (not to mention that I wouldn't be on the ledge if I had to pay for repairs, just tryng to figure out what happened) so what is it that you are calling BS on?  It's truly bizarre how you act.

As for wasting time here, that would be me.  The whole thng was figured out by people much kinder than yourself.  I wish you well though as there must be something there with all that anger.  

I wonder why random angry people don't show up in the Inspire forum.

2017-1-23
Use props
REDBARON0
lvl.3
Canada

Don't worry . I'm there .
2017-1-23
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

REDBARON0 Posted at 2017-1-23 18:55
Don't worry . I'm there .

Oh great. Just kidding, I'm sure you are an awesome contributor.
2017-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-23 20:19
Oh great.  Just kidding, I'm sure you are an awesome contributor.

I came too late for the party and can't shed any light on the waypoint issue but why you couldn't work out how to use Phantomhelp is puzzling.
You managed to upload your flight record to Healthydrones.
For Phantomhelp it's the same procedure and the same file.
As several people tried to explain that's all you had to do.
Then post the link to the Phantomhelp report ... like this:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/55XP1Y5B0GQF0OP1LDET/
2017-1-23
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-23 21:38
I came too late for the party and can't shed any light on the waypoint issue but why you couldn't work out how to use Phantomhelp is puzzling.
You managed to upload your flight record to Healthydrones.
For Phantomhelp it's the same procedure and the same file.

I did. It was blown out of proportion TBH. I should have been more forthcoming and said "I was getting help over at PhantomPilots",

I had never crashed before and didn't know what out of the 3 files were needed and several people were telling me to upload the .txt file which was actually what someone from the other site was able to take and turn into ALL KINDS of info that I have never even seen here before. The logs from HD were post withing the first two or three posts.  The share of HD was sent almost as soon as I had it.  Plus I linked to the thread in PhantomPilots that had even more info.

Now that I have taken part in a operation of a crash, you'll notice that I have been trying to be helpful to others now that I know how to share a link off of HD, and what exactly is needed from PhantomHelp and trust me that the logs from PH are not nearly as helpful as the decrypted .txt file which I've seen nobody here do.

So a combination of me being helped somewhere else and I was, as usual, trying to meet a crush, led SOME people to believe I wasn't or was unable to do what they were asking when they asked. If you look through this thread you will see that I did on each occasion however, BUT I blame myself as people were just trying to be helpful and I should have ben more vocal.

All that can be ascertained from the logs have been now though. I appreciate your desire to help though.

Adam
2017-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-24 08:30
I did. It was blown out of proportion TBH. I should have been more forthcoming and said "I was getting help over at PhantomPilots",

I had never crashed before and didn't know what out of the 3 files were needed and several people were telling me to upload the .txt file which was actually what someone from the other site was able to take and turn into ALL KINDS of info that I have never even seen here before. The logs from HD were post withing the first two or three posts.  The share of HD was sent almost as soon as I had it.  Plus I linked to the thread in PhantomPilots that had even more info.

Again I have to say Artistfirst, you are a real professional WAFFLER , you seem happy to go all around the houses to avoid answering,
Truth is.
You posted on phantom pilots and the best conclusion arrived at on that thread was that you more than likely included the tree in your waypoint mission.
You then went on to post that you had spoken to dji and they told you that this was a widespread issue with a recent update.
There have been no threads or post obtaining to what dji said to you " I find this strange "

You also are now trying to be more helpful to others .
Yet we don't see where you posted informing people of this widespread issue that dji supposedly told you regarding this fault in a recent firmware upgrade.

And it is for this reason, that I find it difficult to accept what you are saying and I am calling you a professional waffler.

It also fair to say your thread on PP was also something of a farce.
2017-1-24
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-24 09:40
Again I have to say Artistfirst, you are a real professional WAFFLER , you seem happy to go all around the houses to avoid answering,
Truth is.
You posted on phantom pilots and the best conclusion arrived at on that thread was that you more than likely included the tree in your waypoint mission.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

I am not waffling on anything and nothing I posted is non-factual.

I spoke to someone at the DJI number in Carson and that person WHEN I SPOKE TO THEM in fact said when I asked about the "Altitude limit mode entered" warning what that meant, she said what I said.  I didn't say it was a fact and it was told to me by one person on the phone at the DJI "help center" in Carson, CA. and that is all I said.

And that was NOT the conclusion reached at PhantomPilots.

YOU CANNOT INCLUDE A TREE ON YOUR WAYPOINT MISSION on the GoApp which is the very reason, unlike other apps that you HAVE TO FLY IT FIRST, BEFORE you run the mission so that you can't set a mission where you crash into something so the conclusion, albeit not really a conclusion but a theory, that the "altitude limit mode entered" warning had something to do with, we don't know what, it not following the WP points as they were entered. Like somehow it lowered itself or something.

And I would post something about the "Altitude limit mode entered" if it came into play with someone's issue. It had not.

I am not sure what your problem is but i wish you would take it somewhere else because I have no desire to hear it.

And again, I am just telling you what someone at Carson told me (do you think I made that up?) and if you do for what purpose?  I, as anyone should, should take what they say on that line with a pound of salt anyway so I was hardly going to spread that one thing I was told as some massive issue that everyone should be scared of.

I would however, tell anyone that is on a WP mission from the GoApp to be on strong alert if you get a "Altitude Limit Mode Entered" warning while flying a WP mission.

Fact of the matter is AGAIN that you are made to FLY THE MISSION while marking the waypoints in order to not crash because of the waypoints. If you do crash while in WP mode (which I did).  When my bird hit the tree (VERY TIP of TREE), I was still in WP mode and therefore shouldn't have been able to hit it unless something AKA the LIMIT MODE was bringing it lower than it should be which appears to be what happened.  Why that happened nobody knows and we shall see if DJI does. I am sure they will.

In the meantime, why don't you find another thread to post in since all you are doing is insulting me and it's starting to get on my nerves.
2017-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-24 11:28
WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

I am not waffling on anything and nothing I posted is non-factual.

YOUR WORDS THIS SOUNDS PRETTY CONVINCING COMING FROM DJI

IS THIS WHAT SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A PINCH OF SALT....

So I finally spoke to DJI after I had my ducks in a row on what I wanted to say to then and they told me (from Carson) that they have been getting a lot on issues with this exact thing happening on WP missions since the latest firmware and they are aware of it and they sent me a label and she told me that I probably based on what was described that it will be covered over warranty.
2017-1-24
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-24 11:50
This is the dumbest thread ever, you flew into a tree, end of story.    You keep saying you want the thread to go away yet you can't stop posting in it!

It was in WP mode when it flew into a tree so not really end of story.  Again, you are supposed to fly the mission first before you get in it, that way you don't crash.

Here is the flight on the same two WP missions:

Here is the stick controls during the mission:

Now, this shows that DURING THE WP MISSION WHICH FOR THE LAST TIME UNLESS INTERRUPTED (which it wasn't by me) but probably had something to do with the "Altitude Limit" warning should not have hit a tree as it was still in WP mode when it hit.

The image of what I was doing with the sticks shows that at the last minute I tried to elevate but it was too late and I nipped the top of the tree as shown in the video.

THE ONLY QUESTION IS WHY IT WAS OFF COURSE during the mission.  I AM NOT TRYING TO figure out whether it was pilot error or not but you two seem hell bent on saying that I am.

2017-1-24
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-24 11:48
YOUR WORDS THIS SOUNDS PRETTY CONVINCING COMING FROM DJI

IS THIS WHAT SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A PINCH OF SALT....

Coming from the DJI techs at DJI, nothing is convincing.  First of all, she was just going on what I told her and that was that I hit a tree while still in WP mode and what she said is what she said. I said take it with a grain of salt because a) she doesn't have the logs and b) I have heard them say some wacky things there TBH.

The ironic thing is that I am trying to say that I don't put much credence into what she is saying, I have the logs, I can see what happened.  Contrary to what AlexW, the NTSB investigator has to say, I actually did NOT JUST fly into a tree, end of story. I was flying the third of the same WayPoint mission which is AGAIN not supposed to crash because you RUN THE MISSION first so there is a reason, mine or not, as to why the WP mission flew into a tree when obviously I didn't send it into a path to fly into a tree and it was still in the automated mode when it did hit the tree.

I had about 36 seconds to figure out that it was going to hit a tree and try and not.  It was a very thin tree and I almost missed it by a foot or so. Literally.

The likely scenario here AGAIN, is that the altitude limit warning caused the WPs to fly lower than they were supposed to and it was off course now, in retrospect before it hit the tree and I should have aborted but I didn't think at the time that it was. I figured something like wind or something must have pushed it off course when it didn't go through those two trees. I was confused and alert and watching but that tree appears only after a rather sharp turn and it was too late once I realized.

I really don't know what the problem is with you two. I love DJI and have been flying DJI products for many years so if it is the DJI brand you are standing behind, you have got the wrong person. I absolutely love DJI products and they have never failed me and I was just trying to figure out how a WP mission could fly into a tree when then GoApp is made to not let you for the reasons I stated above.

Now let a dead dog lay because if you guys keep saying I am saying or doing something that is not representative of what I think or am doing, I will stand up.
2017-1-24
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-24 12:30
Coming from the DJI techs at DJI, nothing is convincing.  First of all, she was just going on what I told her and that was that I hit a tree while still in WP mode and what she said is what she said. I said take it with a grain of salt because a) she doesn't have the logs and b) I have heard them say some wacky things there TBH.

The ironic thing is that I am trying to say that I don't put much credence into what she is saying, I have the logs, I can see what happened.  Contrary to what AlexW, the NTSB investigator has to say, I actually did NOT JUST fly into a tree, end of story. I was flying the third of the same WayPoint mission which is AGAIN not supposed to crash because you RUN THE MISSION first so there is a reason, mine or not, as to why the WP mission flew into a tree when obviously I didn't send it into a path to fly into a tree and it was still in the automated mode when it did hit the tree.

I randomly googled and this is a post from DJI Ken about flying a WP mission using the GoApp and not having to worry about crashing since you already flew the mission"

You are able to do this no problem, you have to fly the mission first and save the way points along the way. Then when you fly it again you just set the way point parameters so the camera is free and then you can  yaw any direction you want along the route.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-46800-1-1.html

The post to Mr Alec from the last page.

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-24 11:50
This is the dumbest thread ever, you flew into a tree, end of story.    You keep saying you want the thread to go away yet you can't stop posting in it!

It was in WP mode when it flew into a tree so not really end of story.  Again, you are supposed to fly the mission first before you get in it, that way you don't crash.

Here is the flight on the same two WP missions:

Here is the stick controls during the mission:

Now, this shows that DURING THE WP MISSION WHICH FOR THE LAST TIME UNLESS INTERRUPTED (which it wasn't by me) but probably had something to do with the "Altitude Limit" warning should not have hit a tree as it was still in WP mode when it hit.

The image of what I was doing with the sticks shows that at the last minute I tried to elevate but it was too late and I nipped the top of the tree as shown in the video.

THE ONLY QUESTION IS WHY IT WAS OFF COURSE during the mission.  I AM NOT TRYING TO figure out whether it was pilot error or not but you two seem hell bent on saying that I am.

2017-1-24
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-24 12:44
You flew into a tree.  Randomly posting bits of a log that you refuse to upload in their entirety is pointless.  The only person you're fooling is yourself , but carry on if it makes you happy

No he didn't.
It's suppose that it was a waypoint mission.
2017-1-24
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules