Flying Phantom 2 in Weather
3048 13 2015-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bosse.andrew
lvl.2

United States

For those of you that have experience flying in inclement weather, what are your thoughts? I would like to know what the max wind speed you've flown at, coldest temperatures, and most precipitation (snow, sleet, rain). I figure msot haven't flown in rain but would flying in light snow be ok?

Thanks!
2015-2-16
Use props
tonyphantom147.
lvl.3

United Kingdom

As I am typing, I am also watching TV, about "why planes crash" ironically, and by far most incidents are pilot error  and bad weather conditions, where pilots still decide to fly. I personally don't fly in anything more than a slight breeze.
2015-2-16
Use props
godfrey.dayo.po
lvl.2

China

Light snow is OK but visibility and lighting may not be good. Your hands will suffer from the cold. Flying in the rain or in strong winds is simply inviting trouble.
2015-2-16
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

Under 10 mph ground wind speed (don't forget winds are MUCH greater aloft).  31 deg F.  No precip.  Manufacturer states this craft is not weatherproof, and I can't afford to disprove them.  Do you really want to find out how many snowflakes blown/sucked into cooling slots it takes to short out an ESC?
2015-2-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kjkisatsky Posted at 2015-2-17 23:38
Under 10 mph ground wind speed (don't forget winds are MUCH greater aloft).  31 deg F.  No precip.   ...

I've been up a couple of times below recommended cold, but the flight times suffer and are short, for 2 reasons,  the batteries do not like the cold and my fingers freeze.  No snow or rain and no high winds more then 10 to 12 knots.
2015-2-17
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

The recommended temperature range is 0°C to 40°C
2015-2-18
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-19 10:43
The recommended temperature range is 0°C to 40°C

bill, what is your reference there?  not sure but his post title says phantom 2 (not vision or vision+).  according to the phantom2 page, the spec is -10C to 50C.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/spec
2015-2-18
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

This page specific to the vision+

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec
2015-2-18
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

ok, yes i had seen that.  i didnt see where he had any plus (or even vision for that matter) in his topic title or original post.  he just said phantom2 period.  just making sure i was understanding.  i guess he could be asking about a plus and just not mentioning it.  dunno.
2015-2-18
Use props
kevinlutch
lvl.1

Canada

I won't fly my vision plus in Temps lower than -5c. Obviously look at the wind chill factor as those Temps will be even colder. Furthermore,  flying at higher altitudes will be colder still. The operating temp on the TX is -5c if I recall correctly. Yes the flight times are greatly reduced by as much as 40%. I've never flown in rain or other precipitation and don't intend to.
2015-2-18
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

There are airplane pilots who do fly in extreme cold weather kind of like a polar bear club. They cut holes in the thumbs of the gloves so they can feel the sticks.
2015-2-18
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

I've flown in GPS mode in 25mph winds before without much trouble at all. I don't think I'd fly in winds any higher than that though. The coldest temperature I've flown at was 5°F. I have flown in very light snow a few times without incident. It has also started raining while my Phantom was up in the air before. I was able to bring it down and it was undamaged, but that did make me a little nervous.
2015-2-19
Use props
paul
New
Flight distance : 7582 ft
Canada

I flew a Phantom 2 Vision + in -15 (ish).  No issues at all, however my iPhone turned off in the wind as it was too cold which gave me a moment of panic.
2015-2-19
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Give me about 4 months and I will let you know how it flies with a heat index of 110° F
2015-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules