Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Day 1 Mavic Crash
3382 34 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JayMar59
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36444 ft
United States

I got my mavic last monday on the 9th. I was eager to fly it for the first time and decided to fly it indoor at a warehouse(I live in Michigan and it is still sub 32 degree temps). I proceeded to fly it for about 5 minutes before I lost control and the drone drifted into a wall. Luckily I had the DJI care refresh service in place. It did a lot of damage to the gimbal which kept reading "overload" and slightly cracked the front leg of the landing gear. After assessing the damage I am guessing I will need to use the first replacement and pay the fee of $79. I sent the mavic in the 10th and it is expected to get there (Carson,CA) on the 17th. Has anyone had any experience with the refresh repair service with the mavic? Any guess on how long it will take to get back to me? I was extremely frustrated with the crash after waiting over a month to get the mavic in the first place and that I now have to wait again to get the replacement, mainly just frustrated with myself. Also has anyone had any experience with a sunshade for the gimbal? After the crash it only fell about 10 feet and the gimbal was pretty trashed. Just wondering if that might be a good option for protection on the replacement, since I know the clear cover does not do much good for video quality. Thanks for the help.

2017-1-15
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some people have modified the clear gimbal cover by cutting a section of it out where the camera can see and still have it protected. There are videos on YouTube about it.
https://youtu.be/QNICFf56MEU
2017-1-15
Use props
jims3000
lvl.3
United States

I modified my gimbal cover and also painted it so I wouldn't get the prop glare.
2017-1-15
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

jims3000 Posted at 2017-1-15 16:47
I modified my gimbal cover and also painted it so I wouldn't get the prop glare.

Same here. Given the additional protection it affords along with increased picture quality I can't think of a good reason to fly without it.
2017-1-15
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-15 19:12
Same here. Given the additional protection it affords along with increased picture quality I can't think of a good reason to fly without it.

Surprised someone hasn't 3d printed a modified one and started selling them as I would buy one.
2017-1-15
Use props
fans6b1659a0
lvl.2

United States

Why do people insist on flying inside?
So many posts of crashing indoors.Just blows my mind what the thought process is if there is one at all.
Sorry man but its shear stupidity flying indoors.How is it any fun?
By the way waiting 1 month for an order is nothing.Many people on here have been waiting since october and still nothing.
2017-1-15
Use props
JayMar59
lvl.1
United States

fans6b1659a0 Posted at 2017-1-15 19:19
Why do people insist on flying inside?
So many posts of crashing indoors.Just blows my mind what the thought process is if there is one at all.
Sorry man but its shear stupidity flying indoors.How is it any fun?

Thanks for answering none of the questions above.
2017-1-15
Use props
fans2e9aa3da
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7159 ft
United States

https://www.fstop-labs.com/collections/mavic-parts/products/dji-mavic-pro-camera-lens-sun-hood-sunshade-and-gimbal-guard

As far as care refresh I can't give you an answer. I live in Wisconsin and I waited this long to get mine I can wait for a warmer day to fly.
2017-1-15
Use props
Tripp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

Maybe DJI should put some kind of warning label or sticker on their UAV's?  Too many horror stories on this forum of erratic behavior, drifting or lurching from changes in gps to atti mode using it indoors.
2017-1-15
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-15 19:20
Surprised someone hasn't 3d printed a modified one and started selling them as I would buy one.

Ebay has them..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3DPow ... :g:-I0AAOSwopRYb0S-
2017-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your crash, Care Refresh replacements are completed fairly quickly after received and evaluated.
2017-1-15
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-15 19:20

Yes they have.  Here you go.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-80011-1-6.html
2017-1-15
Use props
JayMar59
lvl.1
United States

Tripp Posted at 2017-1-15 20:04
Maybe DJI should put some kind of warning label or sticker on their UAV's?  Too many horror stories on this forum of erratic behavior, drifting or lurching from changes in gps to atti mode using it indoors.

Yea maybe, I knew it was a risk. It was a wide open space, I was just too eager to get flying and the stability and responsiveness were so impressive.
2017-1-15
Use props
JayMar59
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-15 20:13
Sorry for your crash, Care Refresh replacements are completed fairly quickly after received and evaluated.

Thanks Ken, any time estimate? I'm fairly positive I will be choosing the replacement option rather than whatever the repair quote is.
2017-1-15
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2017-1-15 20:13
Yes they have.  Here you go.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-80011-1-6.html

Thanks I thought they would
2017-1-15
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have noticed a "ghost" issue while indoor flying with Mavic. I've pinpointed it to when there is some GPS connection that comes and goes. When I do have some GPS then it goes to ATTI then back to GPS the Mavic seems to get confused and starts drifting. I've almost hit the wall on a couple of occasions and it didn't respond to opposite control input. You also have to be careful while indoors because if you initiate RTH your settings may be for outside and find your Mavic in a sudden climb. On the near misses I experienced I was able to get the Mavic to descend to a hover and then pulled both sticks back for shut off...it only dropped a couple feet but not like a brick...so keep an eye out for in and out GPS while indoors...i also imangine it could be interference while indoors...just passing along what I've seen.
2017-1-15
Use props
JayMar59
lvl.1
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-1-15 22:03
I have noticed a "ghost" issue while indoor flying with Mavic. I've pinpointed it to when there is some GPS connection that comes and goes. When I do have some GPS then it goes to ATTI then back to GPS the Mavic seems to get confused and starts drifting. I've almost hit the wall on a couple of occasions and it didn't respond to opposite control input. You also have to be careful while indoors because if you initiate RTH your settings may be for outside and find your Mavic in a sudden climb. On the near misses I experienced I was able to get the Mavic to descend to a hover and then pulled both sticks back for shut off...it only dropped a couple feet but not like a brick...so keep an eye out for in and out GPS while indoors...i also imangine it could be interference while indoors...just passing along what I've seen.

Yup I would definitely say this is what happened to mine.
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JayMar59 Posted at 2017-1-15 20:23
Thanks Ken, any time estimate? I'm fairly positive I will be choosing the replacement option rather than whatever the repair quote is.

Normal repair times are 1-2 weeks after received in, but Refresh gets priority so it will be sooner than that.
2017-1-16
Use props
pashadowops
lvl.1

United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-1-15 22:03

Not that I would try to fly inside but, do you know if this ghosting would occur if using your phone instead of the remote?
2017-1-16
Use props
dronedroid
New

Germany

I just lost my mavic pro after flying over water having no chance of controlling it. I had GPS signal as the mavic suddendly descended. No reaction as I tried to gain manual control over it again. I am not sure  but believe the mavic switched to ATTI mode. Slowly I had to see my mavic hit the water and drown away. Battery of remote were at 38% and mavic at 49%. What the hell happened and what can I do. Is there any posiibility of getting help through dji? When I got my mavic on Dec. the 28th I tried to register and get the mavic care plan but had no success trying to register  for more than 48h. I cannot send it in as my mavic drowned away. I was pretty amazed by it's ability but now I am only frustrated and cannot believe how helpless I had to watch the mavic go under. I am flying copters for quiet a while but have never experienced anything alike. I was going to use it professionally but this really changes my mind. Please give me hope. By the way VPS was off.
2017-1-16
Use props
JayMar59
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 06:45
Normal repair times are 1-2 weeks after received in, but Refresh gets priority so it will be sooner than that.

Great thanks Ken.
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

No problem, they'll get it taken care of soon.
2017-1-16
Use props
JayMar59
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 14:47
No problem, they'll get it taken care of soon.

One more thing, it looks like it got delivered today and the status is "on file" will I be notified when it is checked into the repair station? Thanks Ken.
2017-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JayMar59 Posted at 2017-1-17 14:03
One more thing, it looks like it got delivered today and the status is "on file" will I be notified when it is checked into the repair station? Thanks Ken.

You will be notified when it's assessed by email usually takes a couple of days, once you agree to pay or use dji care refresh, it will move very quickly after that,

You can also follow progress on the app here.
On opening page click on More, then dji support, then repair history.

Sorry to hear about your crash.
Flying indoors is always going to be a tough test for new pilots.
When flying indoors first set RTH to hover then make sure there is plenty of light and some kind of pattern floor, fly in opti mode with VPS on if mode changes to gps you will be fine more control , problem is if there is a problem with VPS the mode may change to Atti and aircraft will drift, and to fly properly in Atti it helps to have some experience.
I would suggest when you get it back you go to the open field and get some flying with the Mavic under your belt. Good Luck..
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JayMar59 Posted at 2017-1-17 14:03

Yes, you will be emailed when the process goes to the next step.
2017-1-17
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

pashadowops Posted at 2017-1-16 08:05
Not that I would try to fly inside but, do you know if this ghosting would occur if using your phone instead of the remote?

I can't say..I was on an iPad....but I had 0 stick input forward, yaw or lateral but I did have some power control...not a lot but enough to get it down.
2017-1-17
Use props
Airwolf13
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36995 ft
United States

iPad?  The Mavic can hold one?  Ha didn't know that
2017-1-17
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Airwolf13 Posted at 2017-1-17 16:56
iPad?  The Mavic can hold one?  Ha didn't know that

No...I have the iPad holder...it goes in the phone holder and has a swivel bracket with the iPad holder...I use the mini and it works great. I got the CNC metal one...the brackets are much like the Phantom iPad holder except this is made for the Mavic
2017-1-17
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

dronedroid Posted at 2017-1-16 12:30
I just lost my mavic pro after flying over water having no chance of controlling it. I had GPS signal as the mavic suddendly descended. No reaction as I tried to gain manual control over it again. I am not sure  but believe the mavic switched to ATTI mode. Slowly I had to see my mavic hit the water and drown away. Battery of remote were at 38% and mavic at 49%. What the hell happened and what can I do. Is there any posiibility of getting help through dji? When I got my mavic on Dec. the 28th I tried to register and get the mavic care plan but had no success trying to register  for more than 48h. I cannot send it in as my mavic drowned away. I was pretty amazed by it's ability but now I am only frustrated and cannot believe how helpless I had to watch the mavic go under. I am flying copters for quiet a while but have never experienced anything alike. I was going to use it professionally but this really changes my mind. Please give me hope. By the way VPS was off.

Did you try to call customer support or product support? I believe you can find the numbers online. I sincerely hope they help you out, that is a terrible shame. Stories like this make me extremely nervous about flying my mavic.

I've had mine for less than a week and am having stability issues when hovering, I cannot imagine putting it over water at the state mine is in. I have tried contacting DJI in every form (chat, phone, email) and cannot get these people to take the time to even respond much.  I hope they treat you better than they have me, please let us know if they do.
2017-1-17
Use props
JayMar59
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-17 16:25
Yes, you will be emailed when the process goes to the next step.

Hey Ken, I got the drone this past Tuesday and I was very happy with how quick it was! I appreciate the help. Also I would like to link my new drone to my refresh service? How do I do this?
2017-2-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JayMar59 Posted at 2017-2-2 18:05
Hey Ken, I got the drone this past Tuesday and I was very happy with how quick it was! I appreciate the help. Also I would like to link my new drone to my refresh service? How do I do this?

It should have been transferred to your replacement aircraft.
But here's the link.
http://store.dji.com/dji_care_infos/active
2017-2-3
Use props
fansaa3da6c4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347507 ft
United States

DJI-Ken.  I have paid my $79 for Refresh but still 2 days later waiting for my case to change from stating it is repair.  CAS-427370-P4V0M3  Still waiting for when my replacement will be shipped.
2017-2-10
Use props
fans0856d83b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 411073 ft
Portugal

Hope you get a new one
2017-2-10
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Sha ... Cover/dp/B01N7O7HMR
or 3D print one..         http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2016292
2017-2-10
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

hridge Posted at 2017-2-10 13:58
https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Sha ... Cover/dp/B01N7O7HMR
or 3D print one..         http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2016292

I don't know why they leave so much open on the left side. The version had printed is centered for forward and backward flight. They might as well cover as much on the left as they do the right.
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules