Are greater than 8 GB sd cards actually supported?
1992 27 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phil B
New

United States

I have a number of 16GB and 32GB cards (5), all get card error message in the P3S. However, they all work in several other devices including cameras (gopro, several olympus cams) and a samsung s2 tablet.  That said, I have several 8 GB cards that do work in the P3S. This is kind of frustrating and I see that a lot of people are having similar problems. I've not seen a clear specification from DJI on what 16GB or larger cards work in the Phantom 3. I want to get a larger card and don't want to go buying random ones only to find they don't work.

If you have a 16GB or larger card that actually works in the P3S (or any P3 for that matter), please let me know. If you could take a picture of it with the info showing, that would be great.

Thanks,
Phil

2017-1-15
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

put one of the larger cards in the drone, if it comes up invalid card try formating it with the DJIgo app, if it's a class 10 card you may be able to use it.

SandiskExtreme.jpg
2017-1-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It does support up to 32 GB, and one of the safest cards to buy is the Sandisk Extreme, or Extreme Pro. They are known to work just fine.
2017-1-15
Use props
Phil B
New

United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-1-15 17:28
put one of the larger cards in the drone, if it comes up invalid card try formating it with the DJIgo app, if it's a class 10 card you may be able to use it.

Yes, I tried to format all the ones that failed - no go.
2017-1-15
Use props
Clapper
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1528392 ft
United States

Phil B Posted at 2017-1-15 17:48

I use both a Sandisk 64 and 32 card and they both work fine. No problems at all.
2017-1-15
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

Phil B Posted at 2017-1-15 17:48

they may be too slow for this
In the PH3 manual it says cards up to 64 GB.  The one I picture for you should work.
Capture.JPG
2017-1-15
Use props
Phil B
New

United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-1-15 17:55
they may be too slow for this
In the PH3 manual it says cards up to 64 GB.  The one I picture for you should work.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Interesting that the cards that failed do 4K video in my cameras.
2017-1-15
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
United States

Phil B Posted at 2017-1-15 18:12
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Interesting that the cards that failed do 4K video in my cameras.

you might try formatting in your computer first, then try in the drone, if it comes up invalid card, let the go app format.  It's what I had to do
2017-1-15
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

I second the Sandisk extreme cards. I have several 16g and 1x 32g all are formatted via the app and work just fine with the Phantom standard.
I swap them backward and forward between my standard and advanced with no problems from either machine.
A habit I have picked up from my DSLR photography is to never just delete the files using your PC/Mac to clear the card. Instead format the card in the camera you plan to use it in .
Stay away from the cheaper cards as they are most likely to have compatibility problems or speed issues.
2017-1-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-15 18:17
I second the Sandisk extreme cards. I have several 16g and 1x 32g all are formatted via the app and work just fine with the Phantom standard.
I swap them backward and forward between my standard and advanced with no problems from either machine.
A habit I have picked up from my DSLR photography is to never just delete the files using your PC/Mac to clear the card. Instead format the card in the camera you plan to use it in .

I wholeheartedly endorse what Phantom-Paul 7 says:

'A habit I have picked up from my DSLR photography is to never just delete the files using your PC/Mac to clear the card. Instead format the card in the camera you plan to use it in .
Stay away from the cheaper cards as they are most likely to have compatibility problems or speed issues.'

The Phantom system writes a lot of material to various folders, some of which are hidden, so if you use your computer to copy and/or delete the files you want, it is ignoring all the secondary files you don't know about, which will build up over time and cause problems. This is in fact true of almost all camera systems.

2017-1-15
Use props
fans80486191
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116434 ft
United States

I have the SanDisk Extreme 64GB for my P3P. Sometimes it can be testy and not record photos/videos that I take.  Do make sure that you get Class 10 U3 cards.
2017-1-15
Use props
shaunfidler1
lvl.1

United States

Just something to note! When I first received my DJI Phantom, I tried to use a 64 Gig card that was SDXC but I kept getting "Invalid SD Card". Apparently, some SDXC cards are not supported. I later put in a 32 Gig card that was SDHC and it worked perfectly! Hope that information helps!
2017-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-1-15 17:28

If the card is not recognised - how do you format it there ?

Needs to be formatted in a reader where card is recognised !

Format can be of two formats : FAT32 or EXFAT ....

If the cards are formatted by default in later Windows - quite often are formatted to NTFS which will not be recognised in DJI gear.

Answer is : 32Gb is fully usable in DJI gear but MUST be formatted to FAT32 or EXFAT ... I prefer FAT32 because it is universally acceptable.

Nigel
2017-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United States

DJI online site actually states :

Supported File Systems        FAT32 (≤32 GB); exFAT (>32 GB)
Photo        JPEG, DNG (RAW)

Nigel
2017-1-16
Use props
DaveNC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28560 ft
United States

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I noticed every SanDisk card recommended in this thread was the "Extreme" line.

My P3S came with a SanDisk "Ultra" Class 10, so I though I would be safe and get the same thing, only bigger and ordered a couple of Sandisk "Ultra" Class 10 32GB cards. They are advertised at >80MB read speed, but no write speed is given. Should these be OK for the P3 Standard?

Thanks,

Dave
2017-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DaveNC Posted at 2017-1-19 12:06
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I noticed every SanDisk card recommended in this thread was the "Extreme" line.

My P3S came with a SanDisk "Ultra" Class 10, so I though I would be safe and get the same thing, only bigger and ordered a couple of Sandisk "Ultra" Class 10 32GB cards. They are advertised at >80MB read speed, but no write speed is given. Should these be OK for the P3 Standard?

At times in the past, the Sandisk Ultra series of cards would sometimes throw errors, I suspect they are on the border of being OK to use. The parameter that is critical is sustained write speed, and many cards do not provide the specification for this. The Sandisk Extreme series are faster, and work.
2017-1-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

With the stock OEM 16gb micro sd card, I got caught with a full card, one day after arriving at my flight location.
So I promptly bought a 64gb micro sd card, and couldn't be happier.

It's awesome for recording 4K video, with confidence of having plenty of space.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-19
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Be VERY careful where you buy your cards.

I too use Sandisk and Lexar cards but buy them from an authorised dealer. Many sites online sell cards which look like the genuine article but are fakes. A friend of mine got caught with a batch of 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards that looked like the real thing but performed like a cheap generic card at less than a quarter of the speed they were rated. It is so hard to tell the fakes now that you need to do it by providence.
2017-1-19
Use props
Andy4195
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1046870 ft
United Kingdom

I use a 32gb Samsung class 10 in my P3S works brilliantly however I find it much easier to eject the micro sd card and put it in adaptor then straight in my laptop to extract photos and videos
2017-1-19
Use props
BluWolf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3163 ft
Canada

Andy4195 Posted at 2017-1-19 13:25
I use a 32gb Samsung class 10 in my P3S works brilliantly however I find it much easier to eject the micro sd card and put it in adaptor then straight in my laptop to extract photos and videos

Remember - 23 minutes of flight time per battery times about 375 megs of 4k video per minute still only equals about 9 gigs of data - which means that a 16 gig card per flight and you would be golden.
2017-1-19
Use props
Southtdi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14590 ft
United States

If it helps, you can get a 2 pack of 32gb Sandisk Extreme cards for just over $20 at Costco. I think I paid $23.99 for the last set I bought.
2017-1-21
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

I find this extremely frustrating, I have used Verbatim cards in the past and they get great reviews but are cheaper than the Sandisk, so I just purchased a Verbatim 32GB SD Class 10 card and it won't work. It isn't acceptable to only work with one, or a few, manufacturers cards and if that is the case Dji should specify that.
2017-1-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-23 08:48
I find this extremely frustrating, I have used Verbatim cards in the past and they get great reviews but are cheaper than the Sandisk, so I just purchased a Verbatim 32GB SD Class 10 card and it won't work. It isn't acceptable to only work with one, or a few, manufacturers cards and if that is the case Dji should specify that.

Get a card reader ... and then format completely ... NOT quick format .... to FAT32 ......

Then try it again in the P3 ....

Quite often PC is set to default NTFS or for use only in 64bit systems ... especially if you have Win10 64 bit ..

You need to check settings of the format utility. Forget using the DJI Go format until you get card working in the AC ...

Nigel
2017-1-23
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

I tried a full format and still the same, SD card works fine in my laptop, camera - just not Phantom
2017-1-23
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116998 ft
United States

I ordered a SanDisk 64 gig card from amazon and I will get it tomorrow. I hope it works out good.
2017-1-23
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292297 ft
United Kingdom

I put a SanDisk 32gb 80mb/s class 10 card in my P3S and have had no problems.
2017-1-26
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116998 ft
United States

Jasonstarbird Posted at 2017-1-23 22:09
I ordered a SanDisk 64 gig card from amazon and I will get it tomorrow. I hope it works out good.

I received my card and installed it into the camera, formatted it and it's working great!
2017-1-26
Use props
fans0ebddeb7
lvl.1

United States

I am using a 64 GB card, and it works great
2017-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules