9400 40 2017-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

This thread should collect information for pilots from Thailand and/or international pilots wanting to fly in Thailand. Especially the regulatory side is interesting.

The current rules are active since August 2015 and state that there are two main categories of UAV, basically by weight and use classification. The original Thai document can be found here.

1. For the purpose of recreation (eg. as a hobby, entertainment or sport)
a) Weight of not more than 2 kg:
A license is not required for controlling or launching the UAV, however, the controller or launcher must be older than 18 years and must comply with the provided terms in the law. This comprises, among others, that they do not fly the UAV over 90 meters (300 feet) above the ground; do not fly within 30 meters (100 feet) of people, vehicles, construction sites, or buildings; and do not infringe on the privacy of others.

[size=13.333333015441895px]
VLOSVLOS
Day/NightDaylight
VFR/IFRAway from cloud
Must yield right of wayYes
Max altitude (AG)50m
Aerodrome Traffic Zone9 km away from airport and its flight path
No Fly ZonesNot within no fly or restricted zones as defined in AICs or NOTAMs
min age18
people30m
Assembly of people30m
buildings30m
Congested or Urban Area30m
Air worthiness certificateMust check aircraft and that the flight can be completed safely. Must make survey of the area, and make plans in case of failure

b) Weight of more than 2 kg but not exceeding 25 kg:

The controller or launcher of the UAV must be older than 20 years of age, not be a person who acts against national security, must never have been imprisoned under the laws on narcotics or Customs, and must have applied for a license to be a controller or launcher of the UAV from the Ministry of Transportation. The controller or launcher must comply with the provided terms in the Notification, namely, among others, that they do not fly over 90 meters (300 feet) above the ground; do not fly within 50 meters (150 feet) of people, vehicles, construction sites, or buildings; and do not infringe on the privacy of others.

2. For purposes other than (1) where its weight does not exceed 25 kg
a) For reporting incidents or traffic-related matters (i.e. mass media)
b) For photographing or filming,
c) For research and development of airborne vehicles,
d) For other purposes:

The controller or launcher must be a business operator in a related category (i.e. mass media, film production) and must apply for a license to be a controller or launcher of the UAV from the Ministry of Transportation. The controller or launcher must comply with the provided terms in the Notification which apply to the UAV for the purpose of recreation (eg. as a hobby, entertainment or sport) where its weight is more than 2 kg but not exceeding 25 kg.

(source: bangkokvideoproductions.com)

2017-1-16
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

To me, these rules mean that a drone of up to 2 kg can be flown without a license or registration, as long as the above limitations are obeyed. It also means that for photography or video, these rules probably do not apply, and it would require to get a commercial license to do that. This is a legal grey zone.
2017-1-16
Use props
Sam_always
lvl.2
Flight distance : 707667 ft
Singapore

fivetonine Posted at 2017-1-16 04:02
To me, these rules mean that a drone of up to 2 kg can be flown without a license or registration, as long as the above limitations are obeyed. It also means that for photography or video, these rules probably do not apply, and it would require to get a commercial license to do that. This is a legal grey zone.

do it mean i can only fly drone in thailand but can not take video and photo?
2017-1-16
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Sam_always Posted at 2017-1-16 18:03
do it mean i can only fly drone in thailand but can not take video and photo?

This is how I read this regulation. But it might be hard to judge for someone else what you really do up there. I guess it will depend on goodwill of law enforcement personnel.
2017-1-17
Use props
Sam_always
lvl.2
Singapore

fivetonine Posted at 2017-1-17 00:56
This is how I read this regulation. But it might be hard to judge for someone else what you really do up there. I guess it will depend on goodwill of law enforcement personnel.

i go thailand often. I saw before a few time local and tourist flying their drone there without a problem.
2017-1-17
Use props
jac38
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198110 ft
Thailand

One thing is what the law say. The information I have, and I both have 2 Phantoms and live here, is that you dont need a licens if you not are using it for work and making money, and the other is weigt as written already. So a Phantom is leagal without a license but a Inspire is not, as it weight more then 2 kilo. And this include taking pictures and filming of course.

What you then CAN do or not, is another story. There are a lot of laws in this country that in practise in a every day life is different. There is absolutly no chanse any leagal person coming asking you what drone you are flying and/or at what hight, and so on. If they show up at all, they want to see it fly, like everybody else.

Must be up to the users to fly with care. It CAN happen something with the electronic and it falls down. Whould it then hit a child they will die, and perhaps a adult also will. You dont want that to happend. Sometimes they want to make a mark in legal matters here, and this is NOT the right country to end up with attention from the police or go to prison. On the other hand can in be hard to fly and not fly over buildings and/or people. So its little of Russian roulette, everything is okey as long as nothing bad happen....
2017-1-19
Use props
Sam_always
lvl.2
Singapore

jac38 Posted at 2017-1-19 07:06
One thing is what the law say. The information I have, and I both have 2 Phantoms and live here, is that you dont need a licens if you not are using it for work and making money, and the other is weigt as written already. So a Phantom is leagal without a license but a Inspire is not, as it weight more then 2 kilo. And this include taking pictures and filming of course.

What you then CAN do or not, is another story. There are a lot of laws in this country that in practise in a every day life is different. There is absolutly no chanse any leagal person coming asking you what drone you are flying and/or at what hight, and so on. If they show up at all, they want to see it fly, like everybody else.

Thanks. will try to fly next week when i go thailand.
2017-1-20
Use props
fans2920800d
New

Germany

Hey guys. I am living in Beijing currently and fly to Bangkok on Friday and then to ko Phi Phi. I fully understand the law and the risk area.

My question: did you ever have any issues at the airport for a domestic flight? I will obviously not check my drone with my luggage but keep it with my carry on.
Thanks in advance
Daniel
2017-1-21
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans2920800d Posted at 2017-1-21 22:03
Hey guys. I am living in Beijing currently and fly to Bangkok on Friday and then to ko Phi Phi. I fully understand the law and the risk area.

My question: did you ever have any issues at the airport for a domestic flight? I will obviously not check my drone with my luggage but keep it with my carry on.

Hi Daniel, just flew in and out of Thailand as well as domestic. No problem at all. Just be friendly and have a nice photo that you took to impress them ;)
2017-1-29
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jac38 Posted at 2017-1-19 07:06

Well just as anywhere else - common sense is highly appreciated. Personally I have flown a lot in Thailand and never had a problem, but you need to stay away from trouble. Even more than in other countries.
2017-1-29
Use props
jac38
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198110 ft
Sweden

The only thing about this is what I did not know but read in the text about the batteries, that you absolutly not have them charged when flighing. There is a 120 meter high rule and only a taxing airplane can really matter in this but good to have in mind.
2017-2-13
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327644 ft
Singapore

i think recently or this year their rules has changed.
https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/27220
you need to register your drone inorder to take off. (If not mistaken)
and the form only available in Thai version.
2017-5-15
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

KenTbk Posted at 2017-5-15 00:44
i think recently or this year their rules has changed.
you need to register your drone inorder to take off. (If not mistaken)

Yes the form is only available in Thai version. The link is here: แบบพิมพ์ข้อมูลส่วนบุคคล.doc

It seems that all drones with cameras installed need to be registered. Has anyone gone through the registration process yet?
2017-5-20
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Indonesia

fivetonine Posted at 2017-5-20 13:19
Yes the form is only available in Thai version. The link is here: แบบพิมพ์ข้อมูลส่วนบุคคล.doc

It seems that all drones with cameras installed need to be registered. Has anyone gone through the registration process yet?

i will try it this coming June. and see how it goes and provide an information for the others.
2017-5-22
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

KenTbk Posted at 2017-5-22 23:14
i will try it this coming June. and see how it goes and provide an information for the others.

Thanks - that will be very helpful!
2017-5-23
Use props
Thaicbr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62546 ft
Thailand

That NEW rule has not been ratified as yet..you can fly in Thailand..but for national parks and temples you will require permission to fly.. in Bangkok you can fly but as a tourist I would not risk it.. be careful and don't fly were people may complain and you will have no problem.
2017-6-19
Use props
thecrazyfatride
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36194 ft
Singapore

Sawadeekhrup!

Few questions wondering anyone can shed some light.

1) Is there any official maps we can use to see where are the no fly zones in Thailand?

Or anything goes just stay within 50metres altitude and away from people ?

2) Has anyone had trouble on commercial flights that they cannot carry a Mavic Pro into an aircraft? Lithium battery limitations?

I would register myself if required to fly and any information is appreciated.

Khobkhunkrup!
2017-6-26
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

thecrazyfatride Posted at 2017-6-26 06:07
Sawadeekhrup!

Few questions wondering anyone can shed some light.

Hi , may i know where are you from?
as we are wishing someone from thai to provide more detail on this.
2017-6-28
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

Thaicbr Posted at 2017-6-19 02:26
That NEW rule has not been ratified as yet..you can fly in Thailand..but for national parks and temples you will require permission to fly.. in Bangkok you can fly but as a tourist I would not risk it.. be careful and don't fly were people may complain and you will have no problem.

Hi, are you from Thai?
i just back from Thai not long ago, and i did call to CAAT to ask them about the rules, no sure is truth or not, they told me i have to register my drone. and there is a clause there, u need an insurance for the drone as well.

but today my colleague is back from Phuket, he manage to bring a drone in without any issue.

so i am not sure did thailand has enforce the rules or not, but if not why the loaded it up on his website. quite confusing here. maybe need someone from Thai to call them up again to check the status.
2017-6-28
Use props
thecrazyfatride
lvl.1
Singapore

KenTbk Posted at 2017-6-28 01:00
Hi , may i know where are you from?
as we are wishing someone from thai to provide more detail on this.

I am from Singapore. I travel into Thailand monthly. Lots of time riding on my motorbikes and hope to capture beautiful sceneries Thailand has to offer.

The Thai websites mentioned those info, but they are not enforced but can decide to enforce. The general rule seems to be, use it but do not create problem for yourself or others.

2017-6-29
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

KenTbk Posted at 2017-6-28 01:03
Hi, are you from Thai?
i just back from Thai not long ago, and i did call to CAAT to ask them about the rules, no sure is truth or not, they told me i have to register my drone. and there is a clause there, u need an insurance for the drone as well.

The thing is, bringing drones by plane is not a problem in most countries. Operating the drone is when we need to be careful. I agree with thecrazyfatride that best advice is to be cautious where you fly, and to stay away from trouble. Seeking all the rules and trying to obey them 100% can get you on a loooong and not always successful ride in Thailand...
2017-6-29
Use props
thecrazyfatride
lvl.1
Singapore

Two weekends ago, I was in Bangkok.

Went to Chatuchak Park and deliberately wanted to fly the Mavic Pro.

I carried my drone in my hand and had my remote controller with my iPad very very deliberately walk past a park ranger.

He immediately came over to warn me that I cannot fly the drone in this park.

Of course I complied and kept my drone.

I went back to my motorbike and rode 150m from the Carpark and stopped along one of the small roads and took out my drone to fly it.

Shot up 150m into the air and had a good look around. No one was around to stop me and at one point a patrol car came past me and left me to do my things.

After a short 5-6 min flight, I brought down my drone and kept the craft.

This is something I like everyone to know.

It's a situation where rules are unclear and no one knows for sure, including the authorities know what to do.

Recently, noted of a case of a drone who captured footage of a air base and posted it on social media.

The commander of the Royal Air Force came forward to officially say this is not allowed. I understand the person was prosecuted.

Also continued to say.....Any drones with camera, is to be registered.

Who what where when?

No one has a clue.

Can someone help?

Some clarity would certainly help. Happy to comply to everything as long I know what to comply to.....
2017-7-18
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

thecrazyfatride Posted at 2017-7-18 05:12
Two weekends ago, I was in Bangkok.

Went to Chatuchak Park and deliberately wanted to fly the Mavic Pro.

I Did wrote an email to CAAT, they have confirm that the drone with camera need to be registered no matter it is less than 2kg or above. then before that, u need to get a liability insurance that cover 1M bath
and need some travel documents to be submit to them.
2017-7-19
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

KenTbk Posted at 2017-7-19 23:34
I Did wrote an email to CAAT, they have confirm that the drone with camera need to be registered no matter it is less than 2kg or above. then before that, u need to get a liability insurance that cover 1M bath
and need some travel documents to be submit to them.

That is important information. Did they give any precise process to follow to achieve this registration? It would help everyone a lot.
2017-7-21
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

Below are the email from CAAT, with attach i provided the English Version of the Registration Form. Hope it helps.

For the Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Registration (Drone) has to be registered to The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) which may take time up to 2 months. So, I recommend you to register ahead of your travel time.

RPA to be registered
– RPA with camera installed must be registered with no exceptions.

– RPA over 2 KGs must be registered with no exceptions

For more information, please kindly check on website or click the link below;

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... Y2NVQU0?usp=sharing
2017-7-24
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

- Copy of your password and insurance when you submit this application
2017-7-24
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

KenTbk Posted at 2017-7-24 00:00
Below are the email from CAAT, with attach i provided the English Version of the Registration Form. Hope it helps.

For the Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Registration (Drone) has to be registered to The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) which may take time up to 2 months. So, I recommend you to register ahead of your travel time.

Thank you very much KenTbk!
2017-7-27
Use props
dylanv
New
Netherlands

Is there someone that got the drone insurance for Thailand and who do they recommend?
2017-7-30
Use props
Thaicbr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62546 ft
Thailand

KenTbk Posted at 2017-7-24 00:00

This is STILL not a legal requirement as they STILL have not officially changed the law. Send them another message and ask them when the changes to the 2015 Thailand UAV act happened.. There is no reference to registration and/or insurance for hobby flyers. Only for commercial use. Insurance is an excellent idea but for a hobbyist registration is NOT required. camera or no camera.
2017-9-20
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

Thaicbr Posted at 2017-9-20 04:50
This is STILL not a legal requirement as they STILL have not officially changed the law. Send them another message and ask them when the changes to the 2015 Thailand UAV act happened.. There is no reference to registration and/or insurance for hobby flyers. Only for commercial use. Insurance is an excellent idea but for a hobbyist registration is NOT required. camera or no camera.

but outside there is alot flyer talking about this? and some of them go through the process.
so i am not really sure does this really applies ... maybe there will be great if something from CAAT mention that is not required for Hobby used. else everyone will be worried about their drone being confiscated. so far for my research only Mavic and Spark able to sneak in without an issue.
2017-9-22
Use props
ReallyBigKen
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone found a place to get insurance for Thailand?
2017-10-16
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1634843 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

HI,
I will go to Phuket in February 2018 and i would like to use ma P4P !

So to summarize the situation :

- There  are 2 forms to fill. -> Where i need to send these forms ?
- Is a insurance is necessary for hobbyist usage ?
- Is there anything else to know or to prepare ?

Thank you for your answer.
Cheers :-)
2017-10-30
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

Hi Guys, you may take a look on the following resource
http://www.richardbarrow.com/201 ... -drone-in-thailand/
2017-11-30
Use props
The Quadfather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439026 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I wouldn’t trust a guy that interprets laws in Thailand on a blog - here is what CAAT says use the governments information- it is in English and pretty easy to see that Thailand is changing their rules - at least for now this is what’s in effect: https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/27220
2017-12-27
Use props
Denis Fernandes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 540102 ft
Brazil

https://www.tatnews.org/registra ... t-holiday-thailand/

I've seen in another thread that you can register your drone at any police station. Is that true?

2018-1-30
Use props
fansd7f0a689
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11982 ft

Thailand

Denis Fernandes Posted at 2018-1-30 16:34
https://www.tatnews.org/registration-needed-drones-brought-holiday-thailand/

I've seen in another thread that you can register your drone at any police station. Is that true?

It's already finished register drone at police station now. Nowsday if you wolud like to fly drone in Thailand, you need registration at the national broadcasting and telecommunication (https://www.nbtc.go.th/Home.aspx?lang=en-us) but they change form of registration every months and difficult to make a registration.
2018-3-9
Use props
Mavic_Luca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11004 ft
Italy

Hi to evreyone dji pilots of Tahiland,

this June i will come on holiday overthere, exactly on Bangkok and Chang Mai.
Im so exciting to go there, really love Thailand, its amazing!

Obviously i wanna use Mavic Pro for do amazing shot and video then i have some question:

- i take Thai Airways to go there, its possible to fly with mavic? must declaration it?
- Thailand have some particular rules to drones?
- More tips?

Thanks erveryone for replay,

Enjoy
2018-3-16
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Howdy all,

It would seem that this is like any other regulation and law here... They may or may not choose to enforce it... I have been here 5 yrs and if the drone laws are anything like the traffic laws I won't be too worried...

Was interesting at the International fireworks a while back, there were a couple of drones flying, not sure if they were legal or not..

Being smart about it and not drawing attention to yourself would be a good start

Insurance is possibly a good idea if you can get it.. Any ideas ?
2018-8-3
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-3 05:43
Howdy all,

It would seem that this is like any other regulation and law here... They may or may not choose to enforce it... I have been here 5 yrs and if the drone laws are anything like the traffic laws I won't be too worried...

I think it would be good to update this thread regularly. As far as I can see on CAAT website, these regulations still apply in the same way, and all drones with a camera installed have to be registered. I will try this in the next days and see what happens.

Any new experiences with registering with NBTC? Do you have to do it in person or can you do this via e-mail?
2019-1-12
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

fivetonine Posted at 1-12 01:01
I think it would be good to update this thread regularly. As far as I can see on CAAT website, these regulations still apply in the same way, and all drones with a camera installed have to be registered. I will try this in the next days and see what happens.

Any new experiences with registering with NBTC? Do you have to do it in person or can you do this via e-mail?

Hey mate,

No idea to be honest.

The main trouble I see is that where I may want to fly, islands, National Parks etc you are not permitted to fly anyway, licence or not. So I am just wondering what the use is really... After all TIT
2019-1-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules