Which IPAD Mini to buy . . ??
12Next >
4372 56 2017-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zorrr2
lvl.3
United States

I am going to get an IPAD Mini for my soon to be DJI Mavric Pro.
My question is . . which one to get ??
I am looking at the Ipad Mini 2 . . BUTTT . . do I need the data version  . . does the IPAD need to have access to the internet (when in the field) to create the maps that show you where the quad is flying ??? This version is more expensive of course.

How does the controller get the maps for your current flying location ??

Any insights would be greatly appreciated . . THANKS

Mark
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

You can download the maps for the area you are in before you leave home by viewing the area so the Maps are Cached and you can always teather to your phone to save having to have a Data contract also
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Mini 3 WiFi and it works great, the Mini 2 would still be ok. You can just use your phone as a hotspot when you get to your flying area to load the maps. Or you can cache it at home while on WiFi before you leave.
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 08:47
I have a Mini 3 WiFi and it works great, the Mini 2 would still be ok. You can just use your phone as a hotspot when you get to your flying area to load the maps. Or you can cache it at home while on WiFi before you leave.

Do you know if a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 fits into the controller as its slightly bigger than an Ipad Mini
2017-1-16
Use props
Nobelcat
lvl.1

United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-16 09:00
Do you know if a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 fits into the controller as its slightly bigger than an Ipad Mini

Doesn't matter if it fits or not.  There's a USB port at the bottom.  You can connect a full sized iPad to it there if you want.  Some people have used that USB port to allow their Andorid tablet to do HDMI out to their goggles.
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-16 09:00

An iPad Mini is about the biggest it can hold. And it even has to be force wedged in.
There are aftermarket device holders out there what will hold up to a full size iPad.
2017-1-16
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nobelcat Posted at 2017-1-16 09:10
Doesn't matter if it fits or not.  There's a USB port at the bottom.  You can connect a full sized iPad to it there if you want.  Some people have used that USB port to allow their Andorid tablet to do HDMI out to their goggles.

can you run that past me again how you can get HDMI out from the mavic controller and USB for phone/tablet? cos if that is the case then surely we can hook up our fatshark HD2's to it as they have an HDMI in socket.  i thought it had only two USB sockets, and when the side one is connected the bottom one was disabled?
2017-1-16
Use props
Mavic_Maverick
lvl.2
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-1-16 12:43
can you run that past me again how you can get HDMI out from the mavic controller and USB for phone/tablet? cos if that is the case then surely we can hook up our fatshark HD2's to it as they have an HDMI in socket.  i thought it had only two USB sockets, and when the side one is connected the bottom one was disabled?

The HDMI would come out of the tablet, some Android tablets support it.
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 09:48
An iPad Mini is about the biggest it can hold. And it even has to be force wedged in.
There are aftermarket device holders out there what will hold up to a full size iPad.

I don't want to force anything into the control but will buy an Ipad Mini 4 if it fits without damaging the controller otherwise ill just stick to the Iphone 7 Plus
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-1-16 12:43

I don't really like the way these brackets cover the screen on the controller.
You can use Litchi on your phone  and install Litchi Vue on your Ipad and as long as both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network it sends the image so you can put a phone in your goggles and do it that way for FPV view
2017-1-16
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

You can fit an iPad mini 4 in it without any problems.
2017-1-16
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

I pad mini 2 works great on wifi with my phone as the hot spot. You do not need the cellular service. Location works great for AC and the remote.  
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-16 13:22
You can fit an iPad mini 4 in it without any problems.

Good to know as it saves me walking into the Apple store with the controller and trying to force one of the display models into it lol
2017-1-16
Use props
luvtofly
lvl.1

United States

Found myself doing just that walked into Verizon with my controller and ried it out fits like a glove,no way it will fall out but very snug.Definatly the largest tablet that will fit.
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-16 13:09
I don't want to force anything into the control but will buy an Ipad Mini 4 if it fits without damaging the controller otherwise ill just stick to the Iphone 7 Plus

I have my Mini 3 and your only forcing the corners through the rubber inserts. I've been doing it for a long time and there's no issues at all.
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 14:03
I have my Mini 3 and your only forcing the corners through the rubber inserts. I've been doing it for a long time and there's no issues at all.

Thanks Ken you have made my mind up
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 14:03

Do you use a right-angled Lightening cable and if so do you know were you can buy them?
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-16 14:56
Thanks Ken you have made my mind up

No problem, the iPad Mini is really a great alternative to your phone. And I love the larger screen.
If you got the FlyMore Combo, the Mini even fits in the front slot and is secured when you close the cover.
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-16 15:01
Do you use a right-angled Lightening cable and if so do you know were you can buy them?

I just use  Cambond 12" braided lightning.
A 90° cable would be nice, I just haven't looked for one yet.
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 15:07
No problem, the iPad Mini is really a great alternative to your phone. And I love the larger screen.
If you got the FlyMore Combo, the Mini even fits in the front slot and is secured when you close the cover.

Better still and yes I have ordered the Combo if it ever turns up in the UK but was on chat yesterday and they said it would be despatched by the 18th.
Do you think its worth paying the extra for an Ipad Mini 4 as its £379 or you can get a Ipad Mini 2 for £239 and this is the only thing it will be used for?
2017-1-16
Use props
luvtofly
lvl.1

United States

Got this short lightning cable from here,got the link from an earlier post.https://www.allputer.com/index.p ... cc376a854db3de15d49
2017-1-16
Use props
luvtofly
lvl.1

United States

https://www.allputer.com/index.p ... cc376a854db3de15d49 got this short angled lightning plug fro her.
2017-1-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United States

luvtofly Posted at 2017-1-16 15:39
https://www.allputer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_137&products_id=2888&zenid=0b9ad239caf8ccc376a854db3de15d49 got this short angled lightning plug fro her.

Yes that will do the job thanks
2017-1-16
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-16 15:34
Better still and yes I have ordered the Combo if it ever turns up in the UK but was on chat yesterday and they said it would be despatched by the 18th.
Do you think its worth paying the extra for an Ipad Mini 4 as its £379 or you can get a Ipad Mini 2 for £239 and this is the only thing it will be used for?

I'd get the iPad Mini 4. It's got the faster processor, an anti reflective screen and will last longer from a software update perspective.
2017-1-16
Use props
fans370bf225
lvl.1
United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-16 13:09

I use an iPad mini 4 and it works great. Go to YouTube and lookup drone valley and he shows you what he does. L do about the same but I don't have the angle cord yet.
2017-1-16
Use props
Albatross911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1708084 ft
Hong Kong

Chriscycling Posted at 2017-1-16 16:08
I'd get the iPad Mini 4. It's got the faster processor, an anti reflective screen and will last longer from a software update perspective.

I'm using a mini 2 and under sun light I can barely see the screen. So if the mini 4 has an anti reflective screen and is brighter it would help a lot. I'm considering buying a hood because of this. Otherwise the bigger screen is always nicer than using a phone.
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-16 15:34

It's totally up to you. The 2 has the A7 and the  has the A8.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

luvtofly Posted at 2017-1-16 15:39
https://www.allputer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_137&products_id=2888&zenid=0b9ad239caf8ccc376a854db3de15d49 got this short angled lightning plug fro her.

Thanks for the link.
Hopefully those are built well enough to handle all the data passing through it.
These are what I have now.
https://www.amazon.com/Cambond-S ... ond+lightning+cable
2017-1-17
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-17 06:52
Thanks for the link.
Hopefully those are built well enough to handle all the data passing through it.
These are what I have now.

I used this puppy from Monoprice:

Keychain with Stowaway 6-inch Apple MFi Certified Lightning™ to USB

No data issues or product quality issues, but you do have to break it out of the plastic holder.  For this reason alone I'd save the hassle and go with thee allputer version if it works.
Monoprice Cable.jpg
2017-1-17
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Albatross911 Posted at 2017-1-16 17:42
I'm using a mini 2 and under sun light I can barely see the screen. So if the mini 4 has an anti reflective screen and is brighter it would help a lot. I'm considering buying a hood because of this. Otherwise the bigger screen is always nicer than using a phone.

Screen is better on the 4 but I still need a hood in bright sunlight. Until the Crystal Sky screens become available we'll all still need the hoods on sunny days
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Chriscycling Posted at 2017-1-17 07:37
Screen is better on the 4 but I still need a hood in bright sunlight. Until the Crystal Sky screens become available we'll all still need the hoods on sunny days

With any tablet you need a sunshade in the sun.
BUT, with the CrystalSky monitors you wouldn't need a sunshade.
With the P4P+ I had the monitor facing directly into the sun and I could still easily see everything on the screen, I was amazed on how clear it was in direct sunlight.
2017-1-17
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

I would go with the iPad Mini 4 not the mini 2, as you can see the original iPad mini cant be used, so  this may soon happen with the iPad mini 2.  but if i were you id wait about another 1.5-2 months as there are rumors that Apple will be having a release in March. That may be for the new iMac and new iPads. Which will end up dropping the prices of all previous generation iPads and give you another option on the newest version.

This is why i'm sitting back and waiting.
2017-1-17
Use props
Red5
New

United Kingdom

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-17 09:49
I would go with the iPad Mini 4 not the mini 2, as you can see the original iPad mini cant be used, so  this may soon happen with the iPad mini 2.  but if i were you id wait about another 1.5-2 months as there are rumors that Apple will be having a release in March. That may be for the new iMac and new iPads. Which will end up dropping the prices of all previous generation iPads and give you another option on the newest version.

This is why i'm sitting back and waiting.

I just picked up a 3 month old iPad mini 4 64GB with Cellular for £235 as the owner is upgrading the new one so you may be right.
2017-1-17
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Red5 Posted at 2017-1-17 10:17
I just picked up a 3 month old iPad mini 4 64GB with Cellular for £235 as the owner is upgrading the new one so you may be right.

Thats a good deal! Most of them used in the US that are usually around £320 ($400 US) the lowest ive seen is £260 ($320 US)
2017-1-17
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-17 07:18
I used this puppy from Monoprice:

Keychain with Stowaway 6-inch Apple MFi Certified Lightning™ to USB

https://www.allputer.com/index.p ... 37&products_id=2888  YOU WILL  find a 8 inch  cable with  right angle on both ends,  comes in different color  and only 4.95 each,  I have the Ipad mini 4  and this cable works perfect,,,  live in the USA  shipping time  from date order to arrival  was  16 days,  not bad,   

[url=][/url]
2017-1-17
Use props
Rick A
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3566 ft
United States

I use the mini iPad 4 and when needed I tether it to my phone. It works great and has the reflective coating maintaining a little better screen clarity.
2017-1-17
Use props
DGP23
New

United Kingdom

Hi everyone, first post on here   was about to start a new thread so glad Ive found this one. I have a Mavic on order (hopefully turning up soon   )  and realised I would have to update my phone.
went into my phone shop yesterday and showed the list of compatible devices and we decided a iPad mini would probably be great for this and came out with a iPad mini 4 for just an extra £10 a month, whilst keeping my old phone, as a phone. was pretty pleased with myself till I saw the length of it and started doing some research, only to find out they don't fit, need aftermarket holders etc. Good to see people on here are using them as I was worried I may have to cancel the contract if the mavic doesn't turn up in time.  Couple of questions - Ive seen people using a shorter right angled cable. Is this essential straight away, or just something that fits better down the line? and also wondering how the controller feels with a mini 4 wedged into the holder? is it comfortable to use?, easily reach all the buttons / sticks etc.
thanks in advance, at least after reading this Im hoping I don't have to return the iPad cheers, Glenn
2017-1-17
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

DGP23 Posted at 2017-1-17 22:01
Hi everyone, first post on here   was about to start a new thread so glad Ive found this one. I have a Mavic on order (hopefully turning up soon   )  and realised I would have to update my phone.
went into my phone shop yesterday and showed the list of compatible devices and we decided a iPad mini would probably be great for this and came out with a iPad mini 4 for just an extra £10 a month, whilst keeping my old phone, as a phone. was pretty pleased with myself till I saw the length of it and started doing some research, only to find out they don't fit, need aftermarket holders etc. Good to see people on here are using them as I was worried I may have to cancel the contract if the mavic doesn't turn up in time.  Couple of questions - Ive seen people using a shorter right angled cable. Is this essential straight away, or just something that fits better down the line? and also wondering how the controller feels with a mini 4 wedged into the holder? is it comfortable to use?, easily reach all the buttons / sticks etc.
thanks in advance, at least after reading this Im hoping I don't have to return the iPad  cheers, Glenn

Good questions:

1) You can use any cable you like to start with.  If it's longer you can just coil it and tie the coil with some tape or something to keep it a little neater, but it really doesn't matter.

2) Having a right-angled lightning connector is helpful, but not essential.  Because of the size of the iPad the connector doesn't dig into the palm of your hand so much because it really connects to the iPad slightly below where your hand sits in normal use.  It probably bugs some people more than others, but I have largish hands and don't have a problem with it.  A normal cable is usable out of the gates.

3) Feels great in the hands with the iPad Mini 4.  It's truly wedged in there... a very snug fit... almost like it was designed for it (which it  wasn't).  For this  reason the controller + iPad feels like one solid, cohesive unit.

I thought it would be a little too big and too clumsy and that I'd try it a couple of times and then revert back to my iPhone, but no - it's perfect.  Also, the larger screen not only makes it easier to see what the bird sees, butt also makes it easier to access the menu items on the DJI Go app.  Great solution.
2017-1-18
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

DGP23 Posted at 2017-1-17 22:01
Hi everyone, first post on here   was about to start a new thread so glad Ive found this one. I have a Mavic on order (hopefully turning up soon   )  and realised I would have to update my phone.
thanks in advance, at least after reading this Im hoping I don't have to return the iPad  cheers, Glenn

I also use the mini 4,   find it to be great,  have the cable pictured above, and works great, and cheap price, but  shipping time is a little long,    The pictures above also show the fit,   feels good in hand, and can control sticks,  with no issues,    My only  problem,  is   would like some sort of a Landyard,  that would  hold it,  when I  did not want to have it in my hands instead of sitting on the ground,  I know they show one in aftermarket stuff,  but the strap is in the middle of the ipad when being used,   Guess it might not be a issue,  but  not sure,   with the ipad mini with phone service, the gps is built in, and it is using  ipad apple maps,   enjoy
2017-1-18
Use props
hak1308
lvl.2
Flight distance : 121 ft
Canada

Does anyone know if iPad mini Original will work? Is it ok speed wise or too slow?
2017-1-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules