Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video post edit and gimbal issue
1349 15 2017-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lethal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Hi everyone,
can anyone assist with possible causes on the attached video? Initially, the horizon is tilted considerable but at about the 37sec mark when the craft starts moving it straightens somewhat but towards the end tilts again.

I did all the calibrations and whilst the gimbal is now mostly OK, every couple of flights after a few minutes in the air the gimbal tilts and only way to correct it is to land and turn craft off, wait a couple of minutes and re-start
Is there a way of straightening the horizon in Windows Movie Maker? Please bear in mind I am comfortable editing photos but this is 1st attempt at videos.

Many thanks

2017-1-16
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hi, nice shots! Is the gimbal/horizon tilt like this with every flight?, it only seems to straighten a little
As you probably already now you can adjust the gimbal roll in the app etc.
Has it been like that all the time or only after a FW update?
Dose a gimbal calibration correct it at all?
2017-1-17
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Lethal,

Ditto on Nigel's comment.  The order in which you do the calibrations makes a difference.  I have to do the gimbal calibration first and then do the IMU calibration, otherwise the horizon does not level.  Counter-intuitive and just plain odd.  Probably worth a shot in your case though.  If it works great, if not reverse and do the IMU first.  See if the order makes a difference.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-17
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-1-17 02:40
Hi, nice shots! Is the gimbal/horizon tilt like this with every flight?, it only seems to straighten a little
As you probably already now you can adjust the gimbal roll in the app etc.
Has it been like that all the time or only after a FW update?

Nigel, gimbal calibration mostly fixed the horizon issue with the exception that probably every 3rd flight it drops down on the LHS approx 45degrees and only way to fix is land, reboot and take off again.
Thank you for responding!
Dont know a way of straightning the horizon in post edit do you?
2017-1-17
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-17 03:27
Aloha Lethal,

Ditto on Nigel's comment.  The order in which you do the calibrations makes a difference.  I have to do the gimbal calibration first and then do the IMU calibration, otherwise the horizon does not level.  Counter-intuitive and just plain odd.  Probably worth a shot in your case though.  If it works great, if not reverse and do the IMU first.  See if the order makes a difference.

Cetacean, thank you, will try and do the calibrations on the weekend. Have only done them a couple of times but never at the same time.
2017-1-17
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
United Arab Emirates

Lethal Posted at 2017-1-17 19:57
Nigel, gimbal calibration mostly fixed the horizon issue with the exception that probably every 3rd flight it drops down on the LHS approx 45degrees and only way to fix is land, reboot and take off again.
Thank you for responding!
Dont know a way of straightning the horizon in post edit do you?

What program are you using for editing?
For video straightening look on YouTube relating to
your program that you use for editing.
2017-1-17
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

Nigel, thanks again,  using Windows Movie maker and or LightRoom 5.7 and neither come up with anything that I can find on YouTube.
2017-1-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Lethal Posted at 2017-1-18 16:23
Nigel, thanks again,  using Windows Movie maker and or LightRoom 5.7 and neither come up with anything that I can find on YouTube.

You will need a more upmarket editor to find tools to straighten the video, but when you do, you will lose some of the area of the video, so it is far from an ideal solution. Better to experiment with the various pieces of advice on how to correct the crooked horizon in the gimbal.
2017-1-18
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

Vegas Pro can do this in the Pan/Crop screen. I've had to do that quite a bit with my P4P footage. Vegas Pro is more expensive than a lot of the video editors out there but it has quite a bit of audio and video tools included plus a large number of 3rd-party plugins. BTW, Magix recently bought Vegas Pro from Sony. Version 14 (the current release) is the first under Magix.
2017-1-18
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-18 16:53
You will need a more upmarket editor to find tools to straighten the video, but when you do, you will lose some of the area of the video, so it is far from an ideal solution. Better to experiment with the various pieces of advice on how to correct the crooked horizon in the gimbal.

Geebax, a number of gimbal calibrations mostly fixed the horizon issue with the exception that probably every 3rd flight it drops down on the LHS approx 45degrees and only way to fix is land, reboot and take off again. Have decided that it is not worth the money to invest in upmarket editor as most of the videos I have a reasonably level horizon and can adjust the colour in either LightRoom or Windows Movie Maker. Thank you for for your advice.
2017-1-18
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-1-18 17:14
Vegas Pro can do this in the Pan/Crop screen. I've had to do that quite a bit with my P4P footage. Vegas Pro is more expensive than a lot of the video editors out there but it has quite a bit of audio and video tools included plus a large number of 3rd-party plugins. BTW, Magix recently bought Vegas Pro from Sony. Version 14 (the current release) is the first under Magix.

Cobra , a number of gimbal calibrations mostly fixed the horizon issue with the occasional exception. Have decided that I could not justify the money to invest in upmarket editor as most of the videos I have a reasonably level horizon and can adjust the colour in either LightRoom or Windows Movie Maker. In all honesty, I actually prefer photos. I liked the movie file (it was the very first flight away from my backyard) and was just trying to find a quick solution but as with most photography, there are no easy solutions. Thanks for your input!
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry if this was missed, but did you notice this after a firmware update or right out of the box? Is the aircraft up to date.

That was a really nice shot, by the way, I love the sky's reflection in the water along with the color of the sunset. It would make quite a lovely still.
2017-1-18
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-18 23:21
I'm sorry if this was missed, but did you notice this after a firmware update or right out of the box? Is the aircraft up to date.

That was a really nice shot, by the way, I love the sky's reflection in the water along with the color of the sunset. It would make quite a lovely still.

Dji-Jamie thank you for responding - yes it was out of the box with all updates done in mid July 2016. Whilst later update or calibration not sure which) mostly fixed issue I still have occasional issue with gimbal failure. I will work on that this weekend and see if I cant get it to happen whilst video is on. Regardless once it fails, only way to correct is to land a/c, turn it off, turn back on and it has reset to normal. will post video when I capture it
Thank you for your appreciated comment in the video!
2017-1-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Lethal Posted at 2017-1-19 01:40
Dji-Jamie thank you for responding - yes it was out of the box with all updates done in mid July 2016. Whilst later update or calibration not sure which) mostly fixed issue I still have occasional issue with gimbal failure. I will work on that this weekend and see if I cant get it to happen whilst video is on. Regardless once it fails, only way to correct is to land a/c, turn it off, turn back on and it has reset to normal. will post video when I capture it
Thank you for your appreciated comment in the video!

Since the gimbal issue seems to happen intermittently, Do you happen to notice it after a few battery swaps while on location, or does it seem to happen even at the first battery of the day. It would be nice to pin point whether its a possible motor taxation over time.
2017-1-19
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-19 14:30
Since the gimbal issue seems to happen intermittently, Do you happen to notice it after a few battery swaps while on location, or does it seem to happen even at the first battery of the day. It would be nice to pin point whether its a possible motor taxation over time.

DJI-Jamie, never really noticed as it always seemed to happen at critical times but will try to replicate this weekend and advise.
2017-1-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Lethal Posted at 2017-1-19 19:01
DJI-Jamie, never really noticed as it always seemed to happen at critical times but will try to replicate this weekend and advise.

Let me know what you come up with whenever you can.
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules