4k@30 or 1080@60?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd9ea013d
lvl.1
United States

Hello,
I'm wondering which camera setting would be better for cinemgraphic landscape sweeps while shooting the phantom 3 pro. Have you all experienced better/more cinematic results shooting 4k @30 fps or 1080 @60 fps and then slowing down to ~30-24 fps for when you have big sweeps across landscapes? I normally shoot in 4k but have noticed some jerkiness and to some of my sweeps. I also have FXP 10 - would it be better to shoot one way or another and then add in a motion blur effect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2017-1-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fansd9,

Both of those settings work very well on my P3P.  Which setting I use depends on what I want to do.  Mostly, it is settings and skill that make for smooth PANS.  In my experience, it is not a good idea to use 24 frames per second in a sweep because the human eye flicker rate is 25 frames per second, so by definition that setting will cause jerkiness.  Here are three images of past posts that may help you get smoother video.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
SmoothPANs.png
Improve Video.jpg
Improve Video2.jpg
2017-1-17
Use props
Helimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

You have more bitrate to play with if you shoot in 4K, but if the final output is going to be in 1080p or your PC can't handle 4K footage, you might wanna consider shooting in 1080p. Technically lower frame rates grant each frame more data, so unless you're going for slow motion, keep shooting in 24-30fps.

Jerkiness is usually the result of fast shutter speeds, so try to aim for 1/60 with 30fps and 1/120 with 60fps. Since P3P has a fixed aperture, you probably need ND filters to achieve proper shutter speeds.
2017-1-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I usually record in 4k 30fps at 1/60th shutter (getting EV as close to zero with ND filter) and then render that to 1080 @ 30 fps for general viewing. Once recorded in 4k it's always there for future use. In just a few years I'm sure 4k will be as commonly used as Full HD (1080) is now.
I also believe (having read some plausible descriptions) that the colour and detail is better on rendered 4k (to 1080) than recording at 1080. Although many things can be achieved in post processing it's still good to have the best input.

This is one example I found (not mine, all credit to the originator).
2017-1-17
Use props
fansd9ea013d
lvl.1
United States

Awesome, this is all super helpful. Thank you so much for the feedback!
2017-1-17
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

I have a P4P, and I have decided to record my general flights in 1080 60, and only the special flights in 4k 60. I decided to down grade my general videos because I am starting to fill up my external hard drive. I always pick 60 fps so that the landscape doesn't get blurry when turning quickly.
1080p video looks wonderful but for special videos it is nice to have the 4k version available.
2017-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules