Polar Pro Landing Gear Demo
4494 34 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

I just recieved my Polar Pro Landing Gear and wanted to post a couple of pics and a video showing results. Overall very pleased. Thanks Jeff for making such wonderful products!

Quick video showing Mavic Pro landing with Polar Pro Landing Gear

P1170120-min.JPG
P1170121-min.JPG
P1170122-min.JPG
P1170123-min.JPG
P1170126-min.JPG
2017-1-17
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

First grassy pic is without landing gear. Second pic is with landing gear.
2017-1-17
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Nice - thanks for sharing!  I think getting the gimbal away from the ground (and dust) is very useful in certain situations.

I got the gouduoduo (unpronounceable) set from Amazon.  Different setup for the rear, but also very effective.

'M4BMW' yet a picture of an i8?
2017-1-17
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

i just ordered a set of the polar pro gear - this confirms my suspicions: they're great!  

solid post and great quality on the vid and images.

dave
2017-1-17
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-17 13:40
Nice - thanks for sharing!  I think getting the gimbal away from the ground (and dust) is very useful in certain situations.

I got the gouduoduo (unpronounceable) set from Amazon.  Different setup for the rear, but also very effective.

I am a performance driver for BMW here in Spartanburg SC and recently got to drive an i8 at the peformance center track. My personal ride is a M4. i8 mabey one day. Hopefully I can record some footage with my Mavic one day if it can keep up!
2017-1-17
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

M4BMW Posted at 2017-1-17 14:06
I am a performance driver for BMW here in Spartanburg SC and recently got to drive an i8 at the peformance center track. My personal ride is a M4. i8 mabey one day. Hopefully I can record some footage with my Mavic one day if it can keep up!

Ha!  Good for you.  My dream job!  I'd love to be able to drive that well...

I have to say I took a decent ride in an i8 in the summer and was immediately impressed (esp. the gear changes), but the almost synthetic noise the engine makes grew old quickly, and I don't think I would enjoy one for that reason.  Every generation of the M3/4 sounds great to me, though.  Every single one.

Engine sound is pretty important to me in terms of enjoyment, so I'm loving my Cayman GT4.
2017-1-17
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

In my opinion this set sure beats a hand catch and possible injury. Although I do feel like there will be cases were a hand catch is necessary like sloped terrain.
2017-1-17
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

I'd be a little concerned about the the back legs not being designed to land on. Original design had the body supporting the back of the Mavic when landing. Maybe they didn't want to put the stress of the weight on the hinge of the back legs that rotate down and out the way it does?
2017-1-17
Use props
Airwolf13
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36995 ft
United States

I LIKE it. bought it
2017-1-17
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

The 4-legged version has to be a little more stable than the 3-legged version I bought on the roughest terrain, but I do worry about the extra stress on the legs, and that flap that sits above the hinge of the rear legs.  I would guess that's a likely weak point.
2017-1-17
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

The good thing about Polar Pro is the lifetime warranty. You do pay a little more but in the long run I think well worth it. If a design flaw is suspected in the long run then I'm sure they will make it right.
2017-1-18
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

It looks neat! What's the total weight? Does it impact the airborne time? Also, is my understanding that the antennas are on the front legs of the drone. Do this kind of accessories have any impact over the signal quality?
2017-1-18
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

M4BMW Posted at 2017-1-18 04:52
The good thing about Polar Pro is the lifetime warranty. You do pay a little more but in the long run I think well worth it. If a design flaw is suspected in the long run then I'm sure they will make it right.

So, quick question....  do you have a pack that you carry your mavic in?  Are you just leaving the landing extensions on when you pack it away?
2017-1-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

How secure are those clips on the rear extensions? It doesn't look like they extend up all the way to sort of wrap around or grip onto the top of the Mavic's arms. Do they click into place in any way, or are they just held by friction?
2017-1-18
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-18 10:51
How secure are those clips on the rear extensions? It doesn't look like they extend up all the way to sort of wrap around or grip onto the top of the Mavic's arms. Do they click into place in any way, or are they just held by friction?

They are very secure. You have to force them a little bit so they fit.
2017-1-18
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

jayh410 Posted at 2017-1-18 10:01
So, quick question....  do you have a pack that you carry your mavic in?  Are you just leaving the landing extensions on when you pack it away?

I carry a hard shell case with foam cutouts and they fit in with the power supply insert.

20170118_201657-min.jpg
2017-1-18
Use props
Penguin
lvl.1

United States

Uh...I have saw this landing gear in the YouTobe,that is looking more nice.
2017-1-18
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

Penguin Posted at 2017-1-18 20:49
Uh...I have saw this landing gear in the YouTobe,that is looking more nice.

If you notice the polar pro has an extra design for stability in the front and rear in the event of a crash. Also I would prefer to support my American owned company vs a Chinese. Also material wise the glass filled nylon of the polar pro is gonna hold up far more than rubber.
2017-1-19
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Penguin Posted at 2017-1-18 20:49
Uh...I have saw this landing gear in the YouTobe,that is looking more nice.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqegmat0HhI

If Polar Pro comes out with a version that doesn't put additional stress on the rear legs I'll probably buy it but in the meantime this one is my preference as it relies on the same landing points that the Mavic was designed to use.  Works well.  Goes on and comes off easily..
2017-1-19
Use props
I love Drones
lvl.2
United States

M4BMW Posted at 2017-1-19 05:46
If you notice the polar pro has an extra design for stability in the front and rear in the event of a crash. Also I would prefer to support my American owned company vs a Chinese. Also material wise the glass filled nylon of the polar pro is gonna hold up far more than rubber.

if you want to start china & usa like trump first you should stop using mavic as that is made in China
2017-1-19
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

I love Drones Posted at 2017-1-19 07:47
if you want to start china & usa like trump first you should stop using mavic as that is made in China

Chinese do make some good drones i'll give them that.
2017-1-19
Use props
I love Drones
lvl.2
United States

M4BMW Posted at 2017-1-19 09:12
Chinese do make some good drones i'll give them that.

not taking away the credit of product made by PP but other  landing gear in video is not bad either i have used it & your half knowledge is danger that they are made of rubber, We are here a community to discuss the product not discussing China & USA let us leave that part to our politicians by the way PP is made in China as well .
2017-1-19
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

I also live on a golf course and did some landing in some sand traps and noticed a big difference in the amount of sand on the bottom of the Mavic from previous attempts without landing gear on. Looking forward to some beach trips this summer with the Mavic.
2017-1-19
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-19 06:01
If Polar Pro comes out with a version that doesn't put additional stress on the rear legs I'll probably buy it but in the meantime this one is my preference as it relies on the same landing points that the Mavic was designed to use.  Works well.  Goes on and comes off easily..

Our engineering actually puts less stress on the Mavic, it widens the stance and disperses the weight of the drone over a greater surface area, actually reducing the amount of stress on the back of the done. In addition to the better weight/impact distribution it provides a wider stance which makes it more stable.

-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-1-19
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

PolarPro Posted at 2017-1-19 10:47
Our engineering actually puts less stress on the Mavic, it widens the stance and disperses the weight of the drone over a greater surface area, actually reducing the amount of stress on the back of the done. In addition to the better weight/impact distribution it provides a wider stance which makes it more stable.

-Jeff from PolarPro

Thanks, Jeff.

I agree with the stability perspective.  I still prefer the idea of the rear load taking place on/around the aluminum heat sink plate vs. the legs.

I've seen from some of the initial crashes that that hinge/plate is vulnerable since it's a foldable.  More so because the rear legs fold under vs folding in.  In a front/side crash the front legs almost have built-in shock absorption from the hinging, whereas the rears do not.  I had a SNAFU where my Mavic skated low across my patio (broken prop) and the rear legs would have come more into play if they had leg extensions attached.

I have no crash data to back that up, but I really don't want to collect that crash data   So, I'll have to go with my gut.

If you guys release a design that works off of the rear center support I'll be a buyer for sure.  You guys make quality products.
2017-1-19
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2017-1-19 10:47

-Jeff from PolarPro

Stability because of a wider stance is different than the point made about putting stress in areas that didn't have it before. And saying it puts less stress on the Mavic only works if you assume all parts of "the back of the drone" are created equal. I could flip a car onto it's roof and say the same thing because the roof has a wider surface area than the tires but I'd be wrong because the roof isn't designed to support the weight. I'd still be concerned how the back hinges handle the landings over time. Fortunately the Mavic does land pretty softly so the stress wouldn't be too much I'd think. But if for some reason the Mavic landed a little hard who knows what might happen. Maybe nothing. But maybe overtime after a few semi-hard landings?
2017-1-19
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

Anyone got a dynamometer i can borrow?
2017-1-19
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Nervous about the wall behind it ...
2017-1-19
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-19 11:17
Thanks, Jeff.

I agree with the stability perspective.  I still prefer the idea of the rear load taking place on/around the aluminum heat sink plate vs. the legs.

Yah, we did not want to put anything near that rear downward sensor, so we did not connect it there, we also prefer the wider stance for increased stability. The good news is there are plenty of options out there for users to choose from, I personally like ours the best

-Jeff
2017-1-19
Use props
SpeedVision
lvl.2
Flight distance : 516168 ft
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-19 11:17
Thanks, Jeff.

+1  I also prefer the color match vs black.
2017-1-19
Use props
M4BMW
lvl.4
United States

Isn't it awesome that we love the Mavic so much that we argue over landing gear for it.
2017-1-19
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

These extensions are good, but another good thing to own is one of these landing pads. The advantage to a pad is that the props don't kick up as much dust on take off. Dust is bad on camera lens and bad for the cooling fan and for prop motors
2017-1-19
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Hmmm... I just ordered some, also have the other ones mentioned above by penguin.

Having a look on YouTube, someone who's used it a few times notice the Polar Pro landing gear is slowly stripping away the Mavic's paint on the rear legs. (Should've watched that video first before I made my order)

Check it out:
2017-1-24
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Is there any noticeable difference when flying with the landing gears attached?
2017-1-27
Use props
Penguin
lvl.1

United States

I love Drones Posted at 2017-1-19 07:47

Yes,your answer is so wonderful!!!
2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules