CRASHED
1144 12 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc1fa131d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have, today, crashed my Inspire 1 into soggy ground (muppet!).
Nevertheless the anti-vibration plate underneath has broken and the camera gimbal is bent such that the camera will not rotate correctly without catching the top arm.
Does anybody have recommendations for spare parts and/or repair service in Worcestershire or nearby??
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about your crash.
I'd suggest you to send it in for fixing.
We can help to create a case for you. Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support".
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2017-1-17
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sorry to read about the crash too. It's kind of a mixed blessing when it's pilot error

I'm just north of Gloucester and have built a couple of Inspire 1s of my own from parts. The anti-vibration plate is an easy replacement which I'd be happy to help with if necessary, however I'd echo Mindy's recommendation to return the package for a full check-up and repair.

I've just sent in an X3 for a broken gimbal arm and lower casing - the returns process was painless and has only cost two weeks and about £50. It was even returned with a complimentary ND filter. My first experience of (out-of-warranty) support and in my opinion, well worth it.

You don't mention what camera it is but if the anti-vibration board is broken I'm guessing it must be an X5. In this case, you should definitely go the DJI repair route as camera parts such as the gimbal arm are not available directly -  none of the leading  independant UK drone repair places are able to fix them (certainly not when I last checked a month or so ago)
2017-1-18
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Same thing happened to me a year ago I eventually sent the X5 into dji to get estimate for repair and was pleasantly surprised Less than $300 Australian dollars to fix/repair gimbal with new components and wiring. I just bought new vibration board from local hobby shop ... Job done!
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like others have mentiones, it would be a good idea to send the unit into DJI for further evaluation. That way, you can get a better idea on what's broken and a decent estimate to get it up and running.
2017-1-18
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

We do not know your skill level and expertise. I would recommend sending it to DJI's shop to evaluate and provide an estimate. Some damage is easy to spot, but you might have hidden damage that goes undetected that could be troublesome later.

DJI does a great job at a fair price and you will know that everything checks out correctly again

PS very sorry for your crash
Rich
2017-1-18
Use props
Upthedowns
lvl.3
Flight distance : 288353 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bad luck with the crash.  I'm a UK based pilot and despite the horror stories you read on the forums I've only received good service from DJI.  There can sometimes be the odd language and/or cultural difference but if you are aware of this and go with the flow then I've found the service to be good overall with issues I've had.  Just follow the processes they give you to the letter as DJI is a process-driven organisation.
2017-1-19
Use props
fansc1fa131d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DarrenE Posted at 2017-1-18 01:01
Sorry to read about the crash too. It's kind of a mixed blessing when it's pilot error

I'm just north of Gloucester and have built a couple of Inspire 1s of my own from parts. The anti-vibration plate is an easy replacement which I'd be happy to help with if necessary, however I'd echo Mindy's recommendation to return the package for a full check-up and repair.

Thanks Darren. Don't why I am down as a beginner as I have been flying since last May and have a PFCO. One moment of inattention however!

I have replaced the plate and camera. Everything seems ok but I haven't tried a flight as I can't get it into travel mode. Otherwise the undercarriage rises and lowers as it should. I've tried a firmware update. Any ideas?
2017-1-21
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansc1fa131d Posted at 2017-1-21 10:28
Thanks Darren. Don't why I am down as a beginner as I have been flying since last May and have a PFCO. One moment of inattention however!

I have replaced the plate and camera. Everything seems ok but I haven't tried a flight as I can't get it into travel mode. Otherwise the undercarriage rises and lowers as it should. I've tried a firmware update. Any ideas?

It's all it takes! - that or sheer bad luck!!

Re: the forum ranking thing - just ignore it. It's purely based on the number of postings a member's made in the forums

That's great to hear you're back in business. Strange about the travel mode though.. Some common causes are the surface the craft is on - sounds silly but is it sitting somewhere it's transitioned okay in the past? It might be worth trying it on a few, low-friction surfaces.

Also if you're trying it in the app, perhaps give the controller a try.

If all else fails, you could try setting it manually using a small screwdriver on the bottom of the jackscrew, with the craft powered off. That'd at least mean you could transport it to try a flight, even if the travel mode issue remains. It'd also force the craft to come out of travel mode the first time you power it back on. That might be all it takes to un-screw the transportation-position logic..

Let us know how you get on!
2017-1-22
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

fansc1fa131d Posted at 2017-1-21 10:28

In case you need to move the gear manually , I have some tips on how to do it properly , without stripping it because turning  in the wrong direction .

http://forum.dji.com/thread-52862-1-1.html

Are you sure the VPS sensor behind the camera did not get damaged? that is what controls the height of the Travel Mode gear ?  Inspect it closely .

donnie
2017-1-22
Use props
fansc1fa131d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-22 06:33
In case you need to move the gear manually , I have some tips on how to do it properly , without stripping it because turning  in the wrong direction .

http://forum.dji.com/thread-52862-1-1.html

Thanks. VPS is detecting the ground if I lift the drone by hand. I fitted the props earlier and noticed tha t at the front they are just clipping the camera mount so I obviously have a more serious problem. Nothing appears twisted or out of place.
2017-1-22
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

fansc1fa131d Posted at 2017-1-22 12:01
Thanks. VPS is detecting the ground if I lift the drone by hand. I fitted the props earlier and noticed tha t at the front they are just clipping the camera mount so I obviously have a more serious problem. Nothing appears twisted or out of place.

If it is clipping the camera the booms are out of square  or tolerance ( I guess I am being captain Obvious )  something MUST be bent  and that may be the reason for the bind .  Or it may have stripped the worm gear ( For the landing gear )  during impact . I would Just take your lumps and send it in .  This is the way accidents always are , there is more than just meets the eye.  

Play it safe,and I am sorry for your crash .

donnie
2017-1-22
Use props
fansc1fa131d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-22 12:18
If it is clipping the camera the booms are out of square  or tolerance ( I guess I am being captain Obvious )  something MUST be bent  and that may be the reason for the bind .  Or it may have stripped the worm gear ( For the landing gear )  during impact . I would Just take your lumps and send it in .  This is the way accidents always are , there is more than just meets the eye.  

Play it safe,and I am sorry for your crash .

I had decided to contact DJI tomorrow. Thanks for your interest. Sometimes you need someone to state the obvious!
2017-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules