Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic drifting- IMU calibration hasn't helped
2487 13 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd8d55759
lvl.1
United States

Hi ya'll,

{Flying with the latest firmware update}

Yesterday evening I was flying my mavic in low light and it's forward obstacle avoidance sensors didn't sense a small tree branch and it damaged a couple of props. I was flying it very slow, and the drone fell about 3 feet. I noticed that it was no longer hovering steady (it's always been perfectly steady almost). I changed out the props, but it still didn't hover steady. I tried to calibrate the IMU in two different locations, both times with no luck. I spoke with a somewhat rude tech support person via DJI's online tech support chat, and they suggested I try to calibrate IMU again along with calibrating the controller and compass. I go to do so, and realize the app will no longer let me calibrate anything, the calibration buttons are unresponsive (what the heck?!). I begin to wonder if the new firmware is buggy, so I downgrade the controller and mavic to the version before, and I'm able to calibrate the IMU and Compass again, but not the controller.. the drone still flies very shakily at this point and I know this is out of the norm for it. It can't hover steady at all, no matter the conditions.

I emailed tech support because the chat tech support takes a long time to help you, and wouldn't answer the one question I did ask when they got to me. Still haven't heard back from emailing DJI. If anyone has had this issue or an idea please throw it out there lol!

Here is a video of some of the swaying, you can't tell it too much in video but you can quite obviously see it when you're watching the drone itself. Also, I live out in the middle of no where, not in a residential area. I have no neighbors or buildings or what have you near me, this is my house that is in way out in the country lol.

2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for the crash. The forward obstacle avoidance sensor will lose effect in bad light conditions. Please pay attention to that while flying. Also from the video the drifting problem is not so obvious. Could you please send the video showing drone hovering.
1.jpg
2017-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Judging by that video doesn't look like IMU problem , have you calibrated gimbal , because all I can see is horizon is slightly off, and the video is a bit out of focus, could be quality.
2017-1-18
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2017-1-18 00:14
Sorry for the crash. The forward obstacle avoidance sensor will lose effect in bad light conditions. Please pay attention to that while flying. Also from the video the drifting problem is not so obvious. Could you please send the video showing drone hovering.

here is the drone drifting, It's much more noticeable from watching it itself.

I've tried calibrating everything, I tried to turn off prop guards or prop cage but can no longer find that option in either DJI Go apps. I also tried to do factory reset on both drone and controller, but the DJI assistant 2 kept telling me "factory reset failed" and that is all the information it gives.
2017-1-18
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-18 09:58
Judging by that video doesn't look like IMU problem , have you calibrated gimbal , because all I can see is horizon is slightly off, and the video is a bit out of focus, could be quality.

I posted a photo of the drone itself above, you can see it very noticeably drifting vertically and horizontally. There was one small gust of wind in this video, but other than that one second the conditions were very still. The gimbal has seemed fine as far as I have been able to tell. I have only hovered the drone since the drifting started.
2017-1-18
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

After downgrading the firmware in both controller and mavic with no results, I upgraded them again to the latest firmware. No results. After hovering mavic once to look for any changes, I notice this notification in overall status. No clue what the damping plate is (new to this). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

After rebooting the drone the notification went away, but I think it'd be worth a shot to check out what it was warning me about. I just don't know how to haha
20170118_173106.jpg
2017-1-18
Use props
ml71
lvl.3
United States

Did you ever resolve this issue and if so, how?  Thanks.
2017-1-28
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

mscarohaley Posted at 2017-1-18 13:47
https://youtu.be/M-fl-ZfeI4w

here is the drone drifting, It's much more noticeable from watching it itself.

Well, actually this looks absolutely normal to me .............. From the sound we can hear some wind-gusts and it seems You are surrounded by trees which leads to influence of Mavic by leewards-airflow-effects. The ground pattern also seems not to be so precise, so VPS constantly seeks for more precise positioning.

Your Mavic is constantly trying to hold position, that´s what Mavic should do. Drifting would mean if drifts AWAY without trying to regain position. You should try in an enclosed big hall with good GPS-signal and I am pretty shure it will hover rock-steady ..............
2017-1-29
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-29 00:40
Well, actually this looks absolutely normal to me .............. From the sound we can hear some wind-gusts and it seems You are surrounded by trees which leads to influence of Mavic by leewards-airflow-effects. The ground pattern also seems not to be so precise, so VPS constantly seeks for more precise positioning.

Your Mavic is constantly trying to hold position, that´s what Mavic should do. Drifting would mean if drifts AWAY without trying to regain position. You should try in an enclosed big hall with good GPS-signal and I am pretty shure it will hover rock-steady ..............

I know this is in face not normal, because I've flown it in that exact same yard and it hovered rock steady every time. I've taken it to numerous new locations since it started doing this, and it cannot hover steady no matter where I am. It hovers up and down and right and left. When I know how steady it was in these exact locations before, and now see how completely unsteady it is I know there's something way off. My return to home also seems to do what it wants now. If I hit return to home, it shoots up over 300 or 400 feet straight up before I can hit cancel..which is odd because I have a 98ft height cap on that.
2017-2-2
Use props
mscarohaley
lvl.1
United States

ml71 Posted at 2017-1-28 22:28
Did you ever resolve this issue and if so, how?  Thanks.

I have not resolved this issue, no one seems to know how to fix this. DJI has been absolutely 0 help, and have insisted I send it in and pay for it to be fixed. I guess that actually means send it in and get a replacement one that's refurbished. Truly hoping not to be one of the unlucky ones that just keep having to get a different one every couple of weeks, I've met several people online like that so far.
2017-2-2
Use props
fans04be7a96
lvl.1
United States

Hello everyone. I have been experiencing the same issues with my Mavic. After the update it would drift, yaw and lose GPS as mentioned above and in other threads. My solution that worked for me was as follows.  I went to a park that was very open, no metal or powerlines  anywhere nearby. I took my launch platform and a level. got the platform level in three planes and calibrated the IMU, the controller, the Compass uninstalled the Go 4 app and reinstalled (at home on wifi) it before pairing it to the Mavic. I turned everything on, shut down and re-calibrated everything again making sure the platform was still level. After doing the IMU, compass (with the controller 20 feet away and nothing in my pockets), gimble (just because I had a perfectly level area) I installed a new battery and launched it in a pretty stiff breeze...and it is once again ROCK SOLID and flying as it did the first time I got it. I flew it for three batteries and never had a GPS signal drop or anything...flew perfectly. I did all this after the update in my yard but I have a power drop to the house and didnt have everything perfectly level and such so I think that was the issue. I may try to install the latest update and repeat the sequence at the park tomorrow and see if its the update that isnt working (doubt it) or if I was trying to do the calibrations in an area that wasnt a good area to calibrate in. I will post tomorrow or Sunday with the results knowing I can go back to the .300 update that is working as it should. I hope others have as much success as I did.  I was truely ready to sell the dang thing and was so frustrated with all of it.  Best of luck!
2017-2-17
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans04be7a96 Posted at 2017-2-17 16:47
Hello everyone. I have been experiencing the same issues with my Mavic. After the update it would drift, yaw and lose GPS as mentioned above and in other threads. My solution that worked for me was as follows.  I went to a park that was very open, no metal or powerlines  anywhere nearby. I took my launch platform and a level. got the platform level in three planes and calibrated the IMU, the controller, the Compass uninstalled the Go 4 app and reinstalled (at home on wifi) it before pairing it to the Mavic. I turned everything on, shut down and re-calibrated everything again making sure the platform was still level. After doing the IMU, compass (with the controller 20 feet away and nothing in my pockets), gimble (just because I had a perfectly level area) I installed a new battery and launched it in a pretty stiff breeze...and it is once again ROCK SOLID and flying as it did the first time I got it. I flew it for three batteries and never had a GPS signal drop or anything...flew perfectly. I did all this after the update in my yard but I have a power drop to the house and didnt have everything perfectly level and such so I think that was the issue. I may try to install the latest update and repeat the sequence at the park tomorrow and see if its the update that isnt working (doubt it) or if I was trying to do the calibrations in an area that wasnt a good area to calibrate in. I will post tomorrow or Sunday with the results knowing I can go back to the .300 update that is working as it should. I hope others have as much success as I did.  I was truely ready to sell the dang thing and was so frustrated with all of it.  Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad things worked out for you.
2017-2-17
Use props
JeffDixon
New

United States

im having the same issue right now. mavic is erratic.  noticed RC is giving a false reading when calibrating.  restarting calibration on RC hasn't worked... firmware update hasn't worked

2017-2-17
Use props
JeffDixon
New

United States

[img]https://forum22.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/%5BIMG%5D[/IMG][/img]
2017-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules