Extremely Wobbly Video
6038 20 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

As I have been having issues with focus, I did a reset of the camera. The first flight of the day, the video was ok but a bit out of focus in some areas.
On the next flight, I had a lot of problems with the GO 4 app at the start. It kept closing several times. After this happened, the video I took is full of wobbles. I have checked that the gimbal is seated correctly so I am wondering what the fix is and could it have anything to do with the GO 4 app.

2017-1-17
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

I highly doubt this is an app issue I've seen this issue on other peoples mavics it appears to be a common problem I'd try to contact support or someone who works at DJI on this forum. Maybe it can be fixed with future updates but you might need to send it in. It will most likely be covered under warranty so I wouldn't worry too much.
2017-1-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

BentonJoyce Posted at 2017-1-17 21:43
I highly doubt this is an app issue I've seen this issue on other peoples mavics it appears to be a common problem I'd try to contact support or someone who works at DJI on this forum. Maybe it can be fixed with future updates but you might need to send it in. It will most likely be covered under warranty so I wouldn't worry too much.

If anyone from DJI would like to provide feedback, I would appreciate it. There has never been a heavy landing or other issue. It just suddenly started to happen.  Returning under warranty really is a big issue so I would much prefer to try other things to see if it can be fixed but I am not sure what I should try.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-1-17 22:08
If anyone from DJI would like to provide feedback, I would appreciate it. There has never been a heavy landing or other issue. It just suddenly started to happen.  Returning under warranty really is a big issue so I would much prefer to try other things to see if it can be fixed but I am not sure what I should try.

Please make sure that the vibration absorbing board is in the right positionas, here is the tutorial video:   And then cal. the IMU and the gimbal. By the way, what's the drone version now?
2017-1-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2017-1-17 22:26
Please make sure that the vibration absorbing board is in the right positionas, here is the tutorial video:   And then cal. the IMU and the gimbal. By the way, what's the drone version now?

I will do the calibrations but where do I find the drone version? The gimbal is definitely seated correctly.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
China

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-1-17 22:32
I will do the calibrations but where do I find the drone version? The gimbal is definitely seated correctly.

First turn on the drone and controller, and click on the DJI Go APP, go into the camere View---general setting---About, on the about page you can see the version of the drone and the DJI Go APP.
2017-1-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2017-1-17 23:32
First turn on the drone and controller, and click on the DJI Go APP, go into the camere View---general setting---About, on the about page you can see the version of the drone and the DJI Go APP.

The Go 4 app version is 4.0.1 and the drone and remote are both 01.03.0200.
It will be tomorrow before I get a chance to do the calibrations but having looked again at the video, it really does not appear to be an actual gimbal hardware issue otherwise the wobble would be there all the time. When I look at the video frame by frame in the sections that wobble, it appears that the video is compressing and decompressing in the vertical. It is obvious particularly because there is a treeline and I can see that the vertical height of the treeline reduces and then increases continually in the wobbly motion. It is a vertical compressing/decompressing movement, not horizontal.
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-1-18 01:27
The Go 4 app version is 4.0.1 and the drone and remote are both 01.03.0200.
It will be tomorrow before I get a chance to do the calibrations but having looked again at the video, it really does not appear to be an actual gimbal hardware issue otherwise the wobble would be there all the time. When I look at the video frame by frame in the sections that wobble, it appears that the video is compressing and decompressing in the vertical. It is obvious particularly because there is a treeline and I can see that the vertical height of the treeline reduces and then increases continually in the wobbly motion. It is a vertical compressing/decompressing movement, not horizontal.

So now it is at the latest version already, please do the calibration and fly the drone at windless environment. If the problem still exists, please inform me here.
2017-1-18
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2017-1-18 03:53
So now it is at the latest version already, please do the calibration and fly the drone at windless environment. If the problem still exists, please inform me here.

I have done the calibrations without problem. It is too windy for me to fly at the moment so may have to wait a day or so. Thanks,
2017-1-18
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2017-1-18 03:53

So I tried 3 flights this morning in a different location as it was raining where I normally go.
I reset the camera and flight 1 was on the factory settings of NTSC 3840 x 2160 30fps and .mov
Flight 2 was PAL 3840x2160 24fps MP4
Flight 3 was PAL 3840x2160 25fps MP4
There is no doubt that 30fps is definitely the smoothest and 24fps is slightly jerky.
Flight 2 and 3 both had a couple of very short durations of wobbles with a more abrupt change of direction.
In all 3 flights there were wobbles during the RTH mode.  I had only been flying at a height of around 10 metres so when I chose RTH, the drone took off like a scalded cat and shot up to the RTH setting of 30 metres. All good, no wobbles during the ascent. But when the drone then started its return and was doing its thing to get to the home point, that is when the wobbles happened because the manoeuvres were very abrupt.
The other day when I first noticed the wobbles, there were many wind gusts from time to time.
So perhaps you can tell me, is this hardware or software. I don't really want to return the drone for repair unless you can categorically assure me it is something that has to be repaired or replaced.
I am far from an expert but it sure looks like it is a firmware/software issue.
2017-1-20
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

DJI-Paladin, would really appreciate a response from you.
I have done some further reading on the internet and found a report from DroningON which was updated as at 4 January 2017. In this report, there is mention of DJI releasing a video demo to ensure the gimbal is correctly seated and this is to fix jello. So I can discount that one because my gimbal is definitely correctly seated, has no problems at startup wtih unusual movements and is easy to calibrate with no faults. The next part of this report refers to Micro Gimbal Spasms During Flight. It further says that is it theorised that the problems is caused by the gimbal motors twitching or not quite locking into position and is caused by damaged gears. I can't believe this would be my problem as my mavic has never had a bump of any kind, no blade strikes and nothing other than normal landings. There is a further report of other minor glitches called Micro-Shake and the cause is still unknown but could be due to the light weight of the mavic pro and when flying at speed or in wind, the gimbal, on occasion, cannot maintain complete stability.
Here is a link to this report:  http://www.droningon.co/2016/10/ ... with-dji-mavic-pro/
None of these really describe my issue apart from the last one. To date, my mavic has been faultless except for the video at times. Even the RTH which I have used quite a number of times, lands the mavic within a couple of inches of takeoff which is really impressive.
I would just like to know whether it really needs a hardware fix or if it could be fixed with updated software/firmware. Sending it back for repair means that it could suffer some other damage during transport and I end up with other problems or even worse, a refurbished unit with many other problems.
The other thing I would like to know is if this video problem of mine is something I have to live with because it is just a limitation of the mavic pro gimbal and I just have to learn to cut out the bad bits in the video.
2017-1-22
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

Just so you know I had this jello effect on my first Mavic I received back in November. I worked on it for 4 days without luck. You have 14 days to exchange it for another. For me my second Mavic works rock solid even in sport mode, I have never seen any video issues even in high wind. If you are within 14 days request an RMA and get a replacement, no questions asked. If you haven't crashed it, get a new one.
2017-1-23
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

BayArea99 Posted at 2017-1-23 10:36
Just so you know I had this jello effect on my first Mavic I received back in November. I worked on it for 4 days without luck. You have 14 days to exchange it for another. For me my second Mavic works rock solid even in sport mode, I have never seen any video issues even in high wind. If you are within 14 days request an RMA and get a replacement, no questions asked. If you haven't crashed it, get a new one.

I did not know that about the 14 days and I am past that now. I kept thinking it was something I was doing at first but one I know it is the drone. I can't seem to get a response from DJI about it. There are so many horror stories of people returning their drone when faulty and receiving another faulty one, not a new one.
2017-1-23
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

If DJI-paladin cannot help me, can someone else from DJI at least give some response as to what might be causing my problem.I am now fairly certain it is not caused by wind as a number of other users are able to take perfect video in windy conditions.
2017-1-24
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

Just what does it take to get a response from DJI. Surely, by now, you must have some idea what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.
2017-1-24
Use props
Art Vandaley
New
United States

I am getting the same issue.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnRIbOFeC4FchDjvvioHzjwgmteE
2017-2-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Just so you know I had this jello effect on my first Mavic

This has nothing to do with jello effect.
2017-2-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Just so you know I had this jello effect on my first Mavic

This has nothing to do with jello effect.
2017-2-18
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 778209 ft
United Kingdom

Watch until the end

2017-2-18
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Interesting-are you using DJI filters? If not, which brand?
2017-2-18
Use props
Scottty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169902 ft
Germany

MavicMule Posted at 2017-2-18 16:43
Interesting-are you using DJI filters? If not, which brand?

In a german forum the same solution was found - adding some tiny weight to the gimbal or camera solves that problem. It really seems to be not optimized parameters in the controlling the gimbal movement. There are always small tolerances in production which can causes the jello in some mavics and no jello in other mavics.
DJI probably just needs to optimize these parameters in their PID controller.
Good test by the way, GallacherBoy.
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules