D-Log h264
2153 17 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joejoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

recording the D-Log colorspace should give us most possibilities to grade our footage - even if h264 limits it.

But on my I2 the D-Log files lack of detail even without lowering the sharpness settings. It looks like having a compression of 50% or like a crappy camera (what´s not the case!!)!
"Cinelike" looks waaaay better

Anyone else having this issue?

2017-1-18
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

I´m having the X5S.

My first test was with D-Log (of course, as it´s the only option that makes sense) and was reaaally shocked about the camera quality  
However, the cam seems to be fine. Looking forward to the SSD drives!
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you happen to provide a sample video of what you're getting with D-Log? Does the quality drop only happen with video when usin D-Log or does it happen with stills as well?
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-1-18 05:11
YES.. It was o bad in use Cinelike. The D-Log looked totally washed out and when i try to process in Final Cut Pro it looked even worst
What Camera you using i have a X4S

If you're getting the same thing, could you also provide a sample as well? Is this also affecting stills or just video?
2017-1-18
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

sure, screenshot attached. directly after focusing the houses.
look at the trees and you´ll see what I mean

DJI_0007_screenshot_01.jpg
2017-1-18
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

have you tried pulling the colours back in DaVinci Resolve?
2017-1-18
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

have you tried pulling the colours back in DaVinci Resolve?
2017-1-18
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Have you tried pulling the colours back in DaVinci Resolve?
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

joejoe Posted at 2017-1-18 15:54
sure, screenshot attached. directly after focusing the houses.
look at the trees and you´ll see what I mean

Is it possible for you to provide the original footage via a file sharing site like Dropbox?
2017-1-19
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-18 15:50
If you're getting the same thing, could you also provide a sample as well? Is this also affecting stills or just video?

It affected both Video and Photos but i contacted Apple as my post processing is done in Final cut pro or aperture. I found them very supporting and after a short chat session and exchange of files we i configured both applications to produce better results but not as good as using alternate settings or even "none". Apple did advise to send files to DJI but i dont know how to do that as i cant use DropBox, Google drive, Facebook here in China as the great file wall of china blocks these applications.

D-Log unprocessed

D-Log unprocessed

Processed

Processed

Cinelike

Cinelike

after process

after process
2017-1-20
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

Coigreach, it´s not that much about the colors but especially about the loss of details.
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-1-20 01:20
It affected both Video and Photos but i contacted Apple as my post processing is done in Final cut pro or aperture. I found them very supporting and after a short chat session and exchange of files we i configured both applications to produce better results but not as good as using alternate settings or even "none". Apple did advise to send files to DJI but i dont know how to do that as i cant use DropBox, Google drive, Facebook here in China as the great file wall of china blocks these applications.

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, do these pictures have the same exposure settings and aspect ratio? This is also the X4S, correct?
2017-1-20
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

Yes i'm using an X4S for these photo i didn't have an X5S at that time

All i did was switched between D-Log and Cinelike on the camera menu the aspect ratio is changed by the camera not me.

AUTO settings ISO 400 f3.2 1/400 8.8mm on both

The difference is significant if you look at these photos taken off my photo editor (Aperature)
The photo D-Log is the most interesting as there is no information on the right of the graph but look at CineLike you will see there is more information to process acros the entire specturm.

D-Log

D-Log

CineLike

CineLike
2017-1-20
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I last night received a new preset for FCP from Apple support which sorts out my D-Log issues.
After running the preset i now get
I also have a support call with Apple to resolve the D-Log issues with Aperture on the photos. Will know on Monday ??

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90734634/Aplle%20preset.mov

2017-1-20
Use props
raven4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

H264/H265 are 8-bit signals. Log footage, categorically, looks dismal in 8-bit depths, simply because log footage requires post processing. With 8-bit, there's not enough information to allow much color grading. It's, generally, a very bad idea to apply Log to 8-bit data.
2017-1-20
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

of course log footage looks really flat. I´m used to raw footage, so I´m used to footage looking "different" in the beginning.
In my case it´s about details looking muddy, sludgy and washed-out detailwise.
Look at my screenshot, the trees look like a mess. or like,.... a closeup carpet or whatever

The whole idea of Log is to bring high dynamic ranges down to a low dynamic medium. sure 10bit would be better. but the issue is rather the compression than the bitrate.
2017-1-21
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

@Dr Jon, How do you import RAW photos in Aperture? I am assuming converter since Apple don't seems to support these files? They are not supporting the camera at all at the moment so I can't even look at them in Preview without converting the files.
2017-1-21
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I use Adobe light room for transcoding to JPEG and use Lightroom ( its an personal copy not a monthly pay plan)  as my film archive and store of the RAW photos. All photos in Aperture are contained in the Projects like any other shoots.     You can get a free copy of the customer owned version at

http://supportdownloads.adobe.co ... ;platform=Macintosh

Its an older version but it free I use it also for my many different cameras to covert to JPEG
2017-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules