4984 7 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Just been out with my mavic this afternoon as we had some lovely winter sun in the UK for my 4th proper flight.

I am puzzled as to how the Precision Landing function works and is triggered. On one of my flight it utilised it, on the others it hasnt.   I have created myself a little landing pad which has a distictive pattern on so it should be picking this up.   

Is anyone from DJI or a user able to post a detailed description of how precision landing location/terrain can be recorded and then can be utilised on RTH please?    Is it the main camera on the gimbal that needs to be tilted down to recognise the terrain?   etc etc

Apart from this, I have been having some very successful flights and really happy with my drone, gradually trying more features and becomming more adventurous

Thanks in advance
2017-1-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

No need to tilt the camera down. It uses the two separate optical sensors on the bottom. The trick is to send the Mavic straight up to a height of about 10m and then let it hover for a few seconds. Once you've done that, you should find that the Mavic will be able to use Precision Landing on RTH.
2017-1-18
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-18 08:50
No need to tilt the camera down. It uses the two separate optical sensors on the bottom. The trick is to send the Mavic straight up to a height of about 10m and then let it hover for a few seconds. Once you've done that, you should find that the Mavic will be able to use Precision Landing on RTH.

Thanks for you response.
That was my understanding of how it worked, although maybe a coincidence that it seemed to recognise the ground when i tilted the camera down.   Ill have to do a bit more controlled testing.

Is there any confirmation message/sound that it has successfully recorded precision landing point??   I know when it worked before it gave a message/sound to indicate it was using precision landing when it was coming into land, but i dont recall any confirmation that it had managed to record the point in the first place.

Unlike many on here who won't admit things, I'm am 99% that this issue is my user error.  Thankfully not an error that causes a crash etc though
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

gibbd Posted at 2017-1-18 09:32
Thanks for you response.
That was my understanding of how it worked, although maybe a coincidence that it seemed to recognise the ground when i tilted the camera down.   Ill have to do a bit more controlled testing.

Yes it uses the bottom optical sensors and not the main camera.
You have to be within these conditions and only use the throttle and no lateral movement and slowly rise up to 10m then it will be recorded correctly.
Capture.JPG
2017-1-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

gibbd Posted at 2017-1-18 09:32
Thanks for you response.

No audible or visual indicator that it has recorded enough data for a precision landing. Would be very handy if it did, though.
2017-1-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-18 09:54
No audible or visual indicator that it has recorded enough data for a precision landed. Would be very handy if it did, though.

LOL right?  You'll know if it recorded enough info after about 22 minutes though (or a RTH)!  
2017-1-18
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-18 09:50
Yes it uses the bottom optical sensors and not the main camera.
You have to be within these conditions and only use the throttle and no lateral movement and slowly rise up to 10m then it will be recorded correctly.

Thanks DJI Ken... I had read that all in the manual, just been struggling to actually get it to do a precision landing. It clearly works though as it did it for one of my flights.  Now I have a little more information and peoples experiences then hopefully it will be fine
Agreed that some form of audiible/visual indicator that its recorded enough data to use precision when it come back would be useful, especailly given it gives a pop-up that its using precision when it comes back into land

Cheers
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

gibbd Posted at 2017-1-18 10:39
Thanks DJI Ken... I had read that all in the manual, just been struggling to actually get it to do a precision landing. It clearly works though as it did it for one of my flights.  Now I have a little more information and peoples experiences then hopefully it will be fine
Agreed that some form of audiible/visual indicator that its recorded enough data to use precision when it come back would be useful, especailly given it gives a pop-up that its using precision when it comes back into land

No problem, have a great rest of the week.
2017-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules