DJI Inspire 2 TB-50 Battery Best Practices
6169 10 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

After searching the threads and doing so research, I would like to see more information on how to properly care for the Inspire 2 batteries.

While most of the basics are covered to get the most cycles out of the batteries, more details on handling the batteries before and after being each flight would be helpful.

I have used Lipos before when I used to race Offroad R/C vehicles. One thing is for sure, if you negelect your batteries, you can considerable degrade their performace and shorten their life.

Some questions for DJI:

While the manual says to store your batteries between 40-65% when not in use, what is the best method for achieving this?
a. After use, what is the best practice on how long to wait before recharging? Would it be best to wait until the battery is below 85 F, or some other parameter?
b. The manual says to charge the batteries after each flight, what is the best way to get them from 100% charged to the perscribed 40-65%. I read that this happens on its own if the batteries aren't  used after charging in about 10 days. I have learned not to store lipos fully charged, how does their drop in charge happen? Will the draining of the charge stablize once it has reached it's storage charge (40-65%)? Will they continue to discharge at this accelerated rate?
c. Is it possible to precharge the batteries prior to using the Inspire 2? Obviously you would do this before fly, but what if you are going to an assignment and want to say precharge all your batteries that will be use to some figure like 80%, then just top them off before use? This would save charging time on location and would also let you know what is relative safe if you didn't get to draw it down for storage.

If I have more than one set of batteries, should I keep them together in sets?

Should the sets be charged together using the charging hub?

Does the charger cycle, balance packs or cells, and or does it perform any other advanced functions to maintain the batteries health?

While I haven't recevied my Inspire 2 order yet, I want to do everything possible to make sure I get the most cycles out of the batteries and prevent any premature failures.

Please add to this thread if missed anything.

2017-1-18
Use props
ARVMR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 366306 ft
United States

I have these same questions. Does anyone have some knowledge to lend based on their experience?
Specifically, I'm wondering if I should charge after every flight, even when I'm not sure if I'll fly again within 10 days? Should I keep my battery levels low immediately after flying, in case they end up storing "long term"? Or, should I charge after every flight and if 10 days pass without use, let the automatic drain take it from there?
2017-5-22
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 391293 ft
United Kingdom

this is an interesting topic!

Here are my questions based on the 1st thread:

1. There are lots of thread from RC enthusiast all around the web regarding Lipo storage, the general rule is more tends to "not leaving the fully charged Lipo for over 24-48 hours otherwise degrading the internal chemical". I also own RC toys and follow this rules so I have my Lipo balance charger to discharge any un-used battery before storage (even just store it for a few days). From what DJI instruction said the battery will only start discharging after 10-days, that sounds like there are nearly a week (7 days) to give Lipo chemical degrade every time.....

2. There are myth around which don't keep your battery manually in 50-60% otherwise the same "intelligent discharge" will still kick in after 10-days and leave the battery to level 20-30%, and so harm the battery.

DJI, can you give some explanation ?
2017-5-22
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

We have no response so far?
2017-5-24
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

JoePGM Posted at 2017-5-22 13:45
this is an interesting topic!

Here are my questions based on the 1st thread:

Latest firmwares allows to set discharge delay two 2 days minimum. This is a selectable setting. I consider it still too long time to keep fully charged battery waiting to slow discharge to begin. Quite often it happens that I charge all batteries and then filming is cancelled. 4.3V per cell is then slowly degrading 4 x 200€ batteries for nothing and discharging by flying is not good practise.

Hopefully DJI does some button technique which allows to trigger manual discharge by owner selectable time.

Most convenient "after flight charge" - method I've found to be to use timer. Just set appropriate time what is estimated correct time to achieve approx 50% charge. I do it when possible after waiting full cool down, especially with Inspire 1 which batteries are more warm after flight than Inspire 2 batteries.

More convenient than timer would be to have "storage charge" - button or button technique directly on battery.
2017-5-24
Use props
Sharif
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is one of those questions where it's easy to overthink things, and opinions will vary greatly.  I try to worry about as little as possible and focus on the tasks at hand and insuring I am safe when operating the big bird.  It's a beast, and I don't want it crashing onto someone's head.  My method is to keep it simple.   I charge my batteries after each flight, and then I top them off if needed before each flight.  I have a lot of batteries so creating a workable system of charging/discharging could consume a lot of my limited attention span.

Charge the batteries, fly the bird.  Charge everything up before trips, travels, events...etc.  Otherwise, they just sit in my case until I am ready to charge them. I personally set the auto discharge to the maximum duration which I "think" is 20 days.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, so hopefully DJI can chime with in with any recommendations that can help all of us.

2017-5-25
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Does it mean you fully charge after use and top it up to full when use, 2 charges for each use. Does it mean you get half of useful life from the battery if they have a approximate 200 charge life
2017-5-25
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

DTK Posted at 2017-5-25 15:58
Does it mean you fully charge after use and top it up to full when use, 2 charges for each use. Does it mean you get half of useful life from the battery if they have a approximate 200 charge life

That's DTK interesting question. I wonder how charge counter counts with timer charge where battery charging is cancelled to approx storage charge and top off before flight. That is also basically double charge. I'll check this.

In general It's hard to believe intelligent battery has any printer type hard limit for charge cycles or at least I've never heard someone reached any limit. Circuit for sure monitors cell voltage variations, temperature etc. to decide when battery is finished. But this is only assumption.

With normal RC LIPO's it is easy to double life span by using properly without having too much time consuming hassle. Same should apply here.
2017-5-25
Use props
Sharif
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-25 15:58

That is correct.  Because I rarely go 20 days without flying the drone, I don't always have to top off...90% or better is "full" in my eyes. But for a big event, I will even top off those 90%'s just so everything is fully loaded to the max.

2017-5-28
Use props
fans9f85da53
lvl.3
Flight distance : 502982 ft
United States

ARVMR Posted at 2017-5-22 05:44
I have these same questions. Does anyone have some knowledge to lend based on their experience?
Specifically, I'm wondering if I should charge after every flight, even when I'm not sure if I'll fly again within 10 days? Should I keep my battery levels low immediately after flying, in case they end up storing "long term"? Or, should I charge after every flight and if 10 days pass without use, let the automatic drain take it from there?

I have researched this issue with several different companies outside of DJI and the answer I continually receive is the batteries for the Inspire 2 (TB50) are self supporting with the intelligent flight features. I set my batteries for 5 days discharge rates which during the winter months allows them to be ready for me to fly while still keeping them as safe as possible. Other than that I don’t have any more suggestions to offer.
2018-2-2
Use props
fans9f85da53
lvl.3
Flight distance : 502982 ft
United States

Sharif@Forged Posted at 2017-5-25 04:21
This is one of those questions where it's easy to overthink things, and opinions will vary greatly.  I try to worry about as little as possible and focus on the tasks at hand and insuring I am safe when operating the big bird.  It's a beast, and I don't want it crashing onto someone's head.  My method is to keep it simple.   I charge my batteries after each flight, and then I top them off if needed before each flight.  I have a lot of batteries so creating a workable system of charging/discharging could consume a lot of my limited attention span.

Charge the batteries, fly the bird.  Charge everything up before trips, travels, events...etc.  Otherwise, they just sit in my case until I am ready to charge them. I personally set the auto discharge to the maximum duration which I "think" is 20 days.

I agree with you about overthinking this issue. I’m much more concerned with all the other problems that DJI has not addressed!!
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules