2922 15 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianDavis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 394528 ft
United States

Hey all,

I just got my Inspire 2 and X5S camera. I tested it out today and while reviewing the footage there is a horizontal line pattern in it. Has anyone else seen this issue? It's at 100ISO and recording in 4k at 30fps. I'm still waiting for my SSDs to arrive so I'm only shooting in h264. Let me know if anyone has seens anything like this.

Thanks!

Brian

Horizontal Lines 01

Horizontal Lines 01

Horizontal Lines 02

Horizontal Lines 02
2017-1-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Brian, could you please upload the original images to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to check it.
2017-1-19
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

All I can offer is that it is definitely there. It took me a few seconds to see it but once I did, it was blaring.  I am just squeezing the trigger on my I2.  Hope it's just a setting fix.
2017-1-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Did you remove that protective coating off the lens  ? Not trying to be a smarty pants but someone had a a similar problem on another thread.  

donnie
2017-1-19
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-19 09:01
Did you remove that protective coating off the lens  ? Not trying to be a smarty pants but someone had a a similar problem on another thread.  

donnie

Thanks for the reply, Donnie. I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately there's no protective coating that comes on the lens for the X5S. It's an interchangeable micro four thirds lens which comes with a lens cap to protect the front of the lens.
2017-1-21
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-19 02:16
Hello Brian, could you please upload the original images to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to check it.

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for the help. I was on chat with tech support today and was told to make sure all the firmware versions were up to date for the camera and controller and to re-calibrate everything. I've done all that and the horizontal line problem persists. Here's a dropbox link to some examples. Please let me know if you need any more.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ni0gi ... YiY3AIkB9CrRBa?dl=0

2017-1-21
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-19 04:45
All I can offer is that it is definitely there. It took me a few seconds to see it but once I did, it was blaring.  I am just squeezing the trigger on my I2.  Hope it's just a setting fix.

I really hope you have a better experience than I've had. I ordered the I2/X5S/Raw-ProRes combo. They only delivered the I2. I had to call then up to get the X5S and now that I have it, I'm having these horizontal line issues. Hopefully everything will be perfect with yours.

Best of luck!
2017-1-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-1-21 03:56
Thanks for the reply, Donnie. I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately there's no protective coating that comes on the lens for the X5S. It's an interchangeable micro four thirds lens which comes with a lens cap to protect the front of the lens.

It was a long shot but believe it or not have seen it before !!  This looks  bad, I have not seen this before with horizontal lines like that .   Maybe some of the More experienced  camera gurus can chime in.

Sorry you are having issues.

donnie
2017-1-21
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-1-21 04:33
I really hope you have a better experience than I've had. I ordered the I2/X5S/Raw-ProRes combo. They only delivered the I2. I had to call then up to get the X5S and now that I have it, I'm having these horizontal line issues. Hopefully everything will be perfect with yours.

Best of luck!

Thanks. Do you have a YT channel because I feel like I heard this story before.  Maybe I read it here as I've been loading myself up with so much info on it.  I don't mind spending a lot on an item that will earn it back but there is a stigma to using non DIY products on real sets and I am hoping that this will be the breaker of that.

I have been begging for some anecdotal info and even started a thread asking for it.  This is not good news.  I imagine that they will take care of their "power users" though.  I hope so.  If they really want to break into the big league movie market without selling individual parts, this is the unit I was hoping would do it.  Ugh, I really hope they pull it together on this one.  

Best of luck to you!

By the way, my hunch on your vertical lines is a bad connection of some sort. My many years of experience with digital cinemetography has taught me that when I see interlacing on a progressive image, there is a bad connection somewhere, whether it is a solder point or some other item that is not seated properly, my completely guessing guess is that it's an artifact caused by a connection somewhere but it's literally a wild guess based on what it's doing and nothing else.

2017-1-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-1-21 04:29
Hi Mindy,

Thanks for the help. I was on chat with tech support today and was told to make sure all the firmware versions were up to date for the camera and controller and to re-calibrate everything. I've done all that and the horizontal line problem persists. Here's a dropbox link to some examples. Please let me know if you need any more.

I'll help to forward the files to our engineers for review.
Thank you for your feedback.
2017-1-23
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-22 05:12
Thanks. Do you have a YT channel because I feel like I heard this story before.  Maybe I read it here as I've been loading myself up with so much info on it.  I don't mind spending a lot on an item that will earn it back but there is a stigma to using non DYI products on real sets and I am hoping that this will be the breaker of that.

I have been begging for some anecdotal info and even started a thread asking for it.  This is not good news.  I imagine that they will take care of their "power users" though.  I hope so.  If they really want to break into the big league movie market without selling individual parts, this is the unit I was hoping would do it.  Ugh, I really hope they pull it together on this one.  

Thanks, ArtistFirst. I appreciate your insight. I'm hoping I can get this drone to work as well. I got it so it would cut well with my Ursa Mini 4.6k. From the video reviews I've seen, the image quality seems to match well. Before the I2 I was flying to Phantom 4, which cut okay with my GH4. The image quality was lower but the "hey, that's cool drone footage" factor compensated a bit. Now trying to cut P4 footage with the UM46 is a huge stretch.

I do have a you tube channel, but I don't have anything uploaded regarding this horizontal line issue. I have a video on the No Image Transmission problem that seems pretty common with the phantom series and how to fix it.

All the best!
2017-1-23
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-23 03:49
I'll help to forward the files to our engineers for review.
Thank you for your feedback.

Thank Mindy,

When can I expect to hear back from the engineers?

Thanks for your help with this.
2017-1-23
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-1-23 12:02
Thanks, ArtistFirst. I appreciate your insight. I'm hoping I can get this drone to work as well. I got it so it would cut well with my Ursa Mini 4.6k. From the video reviews I've seen, the image quality seems to match well. Before the I2 I was flying to Phantom 4, which cut okay with my GH4. The image quality was lower but the "hey, that's cool drone footage" factor compensated a bit. Now trying to cut P4 footage with the UM46 is a huge stretch.

I do have a you tube channel, but I don't have anything uploaded regarding this horizontal line issue. I have a video on the No Image Transmission problem that seems pretty common with the phantom series and how to fix it.

Of course.

Yeah, using a compressed image at h.264 is beyond a stretch for either the UR46 or the GH4 with the P4 to be honest but with the X5S, here are two comparisons that have me salivating.

Here is one against the Red Scarlet W compared to the X5S

And here is one with just the regular old compressed X5 against various cameras.  There is something about the way the larger sensor and the uncompresse (well only one generation of compression which is virtually lossless) compared with multiple generations of comrpression when coming out of something like the P4 which is compressed on board and then further when going out of YT and most people don't know what they are doing and actually lose a thrird generation by compressing h.264 out of their editor before being processed by whatever delivery, YT, Vimeo or whatever.  THose two or three generations of compression, aside from making it SO dark, it also does something that is sort of difficult to eplain to water that when you look at this compressed image of the waves here (including the white water) it looks RIGHT.  It's hard to explain but since you have a P4, you know what even your best water shots look like and it isn't like this.  I wish I could have got my hands on that footage because I could have made it look even more cinematic but this guy did a good job of making the comparison.

2017-1-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-1-23 12:10
Thank Mindy,

When can I expect to hear back from the engineers?

I have confirmed with our engineers. It's probably a hardware issue.
If you are locaed in Unite States, you could fill in an online repair request form and apply for pickup here. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
If you get the case number, please let me know. Thanks.

2017-1-23
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-23 23:24
I have confirmed with our engineers. It's probably a hardware issue.
If you are locaed in Unite States, you could fill in an online repair request form and apply for pickup here. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/AreaIf you get the case number, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks, Mindy. I had hoped it was just a setting, calibration, or firmware thing that could be easily fixed but through all my research and testing I figured it was a hardware issue as well. I shipped it back to the seller in exchange for a new one since I was still within their return window. Hopefully the new one will be fully functional. Thanks again for you help with this.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-1-24 11:19
Thanks, Mindy. I had hoped it was just a setting, calibration, or firmware thing that could be easily fixed but through all my research and testing I figured it was a hardware issue as well. I shipped it back to the seller in exchange for a new one since I was still within their return window. Hopefully the new one will be fully functional. Thanks again for you help with this.

Good to hear you're getting it addressed.
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules