ActiveTrack while skiing
1499 7 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
canistraccioil
lvl.2
Italy

Hi folks!

I'm going to use mavic while my son is skiing, on a little slope ski track.
Question: ActiveTrack mode will auto adjust the height while following the target, or shall I use the Terrain mode?

Any advice for best results?

Ciao
Paolo
2017-1-19
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

Unfortunately neither Active Track or Terrain Follow will descend. This is some sort of mad design choice by DJI.
2017-1-19
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Simply: NO !
2017-1-19
Use props
FlashGJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 293379 ft
United States

After extensive testing (and there are other threads about this) with the latest firmware/software Active Track will indeed both descend and ascend while tracking a subject. The real problem with using it for skiing is the speed of the moving subject. In my testing I found ActiveTrack to work reasonably well on slower moving subjects, but as the speed increases, it becomes more and more unreliable. Autopilot for iOS works great ascending and descending while in Follow mode, but it works by GPS and therefore follows the controller and must be moving faster than 3 mph. So it has its own pros and cons.
2017-1-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What about follow me?
2017-1-19
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Best procedure would be:

Shot 1: profile mode: start at head level approx. 5m away > follow for 30 secs. You might adjust vertical position of Mavic with the left stick slightly-slightly-slightly down

Shot 2: 5m ahead of target front slightly higher then head-position > follow 30 seconds. Again You might adjust vertical position with the left stick.

Shot 3: tracking- mode circling the target. You might adjust vertical position of Mavic with left stick

Be cautious: only slightly touch the left stick down otherwise the reaction will be too fast and target gets out of focus

Watch other people in the track of Your Mavic

Enjoy
2017-1-19
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi,

Unless it is ONLY you and your son...X it. Safety First!

Protect animal population. Spay or Neutered your Pet!
2017-1-19
Use props
canistraccioil
lvl.2
Italy

Thank guys for your advices!
I'm going to try and let you know...

Ciao
Paolo
2017-1-20
Use props
Advanced