Your AT&T network 2G GPS Tracker Stopped Working January 1st
3180 12 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

2G wireless service was terminated in the USA for AT&T on January 1st 2017.
That means ALL 2G based trackers using H2Owireless or AT&T networks will no longer work and you will have to change carriers.
This includes Trackimo, TK102 (all versions) and TK109 (all versions) AFAIK.

If you have a 3G GPS tracker consider yourself lucky.
Most people here have 2G trackers.

This does NOT affect GPS reception....only GPS trackers that use wireless service.

If you use Marco Polo I think you are ok.

If anything in this post is inaccurate, please feel free to correct.

2017-1-19
Use props
Microchips
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3348051 ft
United Kingdom

2G still ok in the UK for a year or two, they apparently will pull 3G before 2G as it is still a money earner due to the fact it is of a low frequency which is ideal for rural places.
2017-1-19
Use props
Bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

My trackimo still works
2017-1-19
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Bfd300 Posted at 2017-1-19 10:36
My trackimo still works

Some Trackimo devices made in 2015/2016 were already upgraded to 3G
2017-1-19
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Noone else has noticed yet?   lol
2017-1-23
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

This is not completely true, it is determined by the carry (ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon and so on) Someone didn't just flip a switch on News Years Day and turnoff the service in the whole USA. It's being phased out over time, 2G devices still work, even in the states. Now ATT did shut it down, but T-Mobile and Verizon did not. Verizon is schuduled to have it off by Jan 2021, but the service will be getting down graded over that time.
Here's a break down:
AT&T began sending out letters to customers with old 2G-only devices still active on their plans, reminding them that as of January 1st 2017 those devices will become completely obsolete and unusable.
  • Verizon: Verizon has a rough target of 2021 for a final shutdown of its 2G and 3G networks, after which point Verizon's network will be 100% LTE. But Verizon has already begun the transition, in many areas having drastically cut back 3G capacity to devote more resources towards LTE. If you are still using a Verizon 3G device, it will only get slower over time. Verizon's 2G CDMA network will likely outlive its 3G network in many areas, because CDMA is needed for voice calls on all phones that are not VoLTE compatible.
  • T-Mobile: T-Mobile's 2G technology supports a lot of hard-to-upgrade systems, such as home security alarms, car trackers, and even vending machines. To keep supporting these types of customers, T-Mobile has announced that it has no plans to shut down its 2G EDGE network anytime soon - no earlier than 2020. T-Mobile has however transitioned a lot of its 2G capacity and much of its original "4G" HSPA+ network to LTE, and will continue to do so.
  • Sprint: Sprint shut down its 4G WiMax network last November, but has indicated that it plans to keep its older 2G and 3G networks around "for the long haul", with no sunset date as yet even hinted at.

2017-1-23
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

William thanks for the info.

So it's only devices using AT&T networks at this point.

I was Using H2OWireless and have confirmed they do indeed use AT&T networks.

I edited the OP to refelct the more accurate info.
2017-1-25
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2017-1-25 16:39
William thanks for the info.

So it's only devices using AT&T networks at this point.

I would also add this. That T-Mobile's 2G service might have also took a big hit on Jan.1st, because of reading an article that stated T-Mobile leased out ATT towers for about 2/3's of their 2G coverage in the USA (both use GSM). So when ATT pulled the plug on 2G, 2/3's of T-Mobile's 2G service went with it.
Also some GPS trackers use a world wide SIM chip (e.g. Trackimo) so they are not carrier dependent, they work on any network it can connect with. Now that all of ATT and 2/3's of T-Mobile's 2G service is gone, the overall coverage will be reduced. So there's a good chance that dead spots will grow larger.
2017-1-26
Use props
Baddpuppy
New

United States

Yep I used a 2G pod tracker for my pup and it went out in January.  They are going to get the 3G to me soon I hope.
2017-1-26
Use props
TrackIT
lvl.1

Philippines

Trackimo has already released their 3G device.
2017-2-23
Use props
TrackIT
lvl.1

Philippines

and follow up on this thread. the Trackimo 2G device is still working in some area's
2017-5-15
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

I've been using trackimo for a couple of months now and for once I hadn't encountered any problems.
2017-6-15
Use props
mictrack.com
New

China

Mictrack also have release the 4G GPS Tracker instead of 2G/3G device, you do not worried about to upgrade again if 3G close in the future.
2017-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules