Be prepared by purchasing a mini usb cable on both sides
1715 16 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

I just received my new refurbished phantom 3 standard yesterday. I charged everything up last night and planned on hooking up to the app to register and check for firmware updates today. To my suprise i cant even hook my phone up to the controller. The package only included a cord with small usb on one side and large on the other. My samsung s6 active has a mini usb plug on it as does the p3 controller. Im fairly suprised that a mini cable wasnt included. In my case i live in the country and this will require an hour long round trip just to go buy the small cable i need. If anyone else is using an android with a mini usb plug on it than id recommend buying a cord at the same time you purchase your drone. Please dont make the same mistake i did. I have tons of usb cables but everyone of them is large to mini usb.
2017-1-19
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

You do not connect your phone/tablet to the transmitter on a P3S, connection is via wifi hotspot set within the transmitter. RTM.

2017-1-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, it's a much simpler arrangement. No cabling necessary. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-19
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

Oh really? As you can tell I'm totally new to the phantom. The manual included says to hook it up to the controller but that's not my controller showed in the picture of the manual. I will try this again. Thank you for the help!
2017-1-19
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Rob Weeks 9 Posted at 2017-1-19 13:41
Oh really? As you can tell I'm totally new to the phantom. The manual included says to hook it up to the controller but that's not my controller showed in the picture of the manual. I will try this again. Thank you for the help!

You charge the controller with the usb cord provided, hooked to usb port on your computer or a phone charger.
2017-1-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rob Weeks 9 Posted at 2017-1-19 13:41

You can download the full manual from This DJI web page. A good bookmark as lots of info' on this page.
2017-1-19
Use props
olfart
lvl.1
United States

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-1-19 13:37
You do not connect your phone/tablet to the transmitter on a P3S, connection is via wifi hotspot set within the transmitter. RTM.

Yeah, it's a much simpler arrangement. No cabling necessary. ;-

RedHotPoker

Unless your phone won't operate on wifi and Internet at the same time.  My phone is my Internet connection, but it will only connect to one or the other at one time, not both.  So I've ordered a cable which will be here next week.  And I can't start a thread, because I'm NEW.  Who needs to ask questions more than a NEW flier?

FRUSTRATION!
2019-1-10
Use props
olfart
lvl.1
United States

olfart Posted at 1-10 10:00

RedHotPoker

SOLVED at last.  A friend sent me a link showing how to do the wifi shuffle and get the update done.

In the interim, I called DJI Support and spoke with a very nice man in India or Pakistan who was no help at all.  Promised to email me a link with instructions within the hour, and that was 4 hours ago.
2019-1-10
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

RedHotPoker

The phone should be connected to the Phantom S´s system during flight via WIFI and not to the internet via the same... Internet during flight not required else you want to stream feed to FB or YT via cellular 3-4G.
2019-1-10
Use props
olfart
lvl.1
United States

Peterx Posted at 1-10 14:42
The phone should be connected to the Phantom S´s system during flight via WIFI and not to the internet via the same... Internet during flight not required else you want to stream feed to FB or YT via cellular 3-4G.

Agreed, but Internet is required for updates, which was what had me grounded.  Finally got it squared away and got my first flight in late this afternoon.
2019-1-10
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

You can switch between the house hold WIFI and the Phantom S´s system in order of the go app when you upgrade FW . How was the first flight? Was it safe?
2019-1-11
Use props
olfart
lvl.1
United States

Peterx Posted at 1-11 00:58
You can switch between the house hold WIFI and the Phantom S´s system in order of the go app when you upgrade FW . How was the first flight? Was it safe?

The first flight was safe as a baby in its mother's arms.  Stayed in beginner mode just to make sure. 90' radius is plenty for flying in my yard, and I went up 90' to see over the trees.  I'm tickled spitless!
2019-1-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Have you downloaded the FULL manual instead of using that useless flyer in the box ?

Nigel
2019-1-11
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

Unless your phone won't operate on wifi and Internet at the same time.  My phone is my Internet connection, but it will only connect to one or the other at one time, not both.  So I've ordered a cable which will be here next week.  

A cable will do nothing for you. As stated, the app will first download the update then it will connect to the drone.
2019-1-11
Use props
olfart
lvl.1
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-11 06:41
Have you downloaded the FULL manual instead of using that useless flyer in the box ?

Nigel

Yes, I did that yesterday.  That's why I made the comment about dji not thinking about including the manual in the box.  It certainly could have helped somewhat, but it's still woefully short on details about updating.
2019-1-11
Use props
olfart
lvl.1
United States

Texas-Mark Posted at 1-11 14:53
A cable will do nothing for you. As stated, the app will first download the update then it will connect to the drone.

Mine didn't do that on the first or even second attempt, but it finally did.  My phone IS my household wifi, and  I was hoping the cable could be used to bypass the wifi connection to the P3SE while remaining connected to the Internet.
2019-1-11
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

There is the manual of the Standard.
2019-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules