Phantom 3 executes auto re-land with 40% battery
2356 28 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 337953 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry if this is shown more than once but my computer does not seem to show this has been posted earlier
I
have just found one of my P3 batteries requires the phantom to re-land with over 30% battery remaining.
I have checked the menu and note the Critical re-land level is still set to  10% - THis is the same level as my other batteries.
The readout I get in the App  display tells me that battery level is critical and it is relanding, however, the battery charge indicator still show over 30%. Pretty confusing. The machine does indeed execute a re-land.
My Firmware is Ver 1.10 but suspect this is not the issue as the other batteries seem to perform OK
Is there a fault with this one battery or is there another adjustment which I may have overlooked please? The battery has only had 26 recharges.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks

2017-1-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

The battery is working fine before, right?
Would you please make a screenshot for the page when it requires to land?
Then please sync your flight records and tell us the exact date and time it happened, we'll help you check it.
Just to clarify, your app account is the same e-mail address used for forum or not?
2017-1-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I had an aftermarket battery that did that.  It warned of  low battery at 29% and then went to auto-land at 27%.  The cells were balanced and it had only 31 charge cycles.  There was some swelling though.  I retired the battery (I use it for bench work).  
2017-1-20
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-20 01:20
Then please sync your flight records and tell us the exact date and time it happened, we'll help you check it.

HI Thanks for your reply. I hope to test it again today and will  see what I can do in respect of the screenshot and syncing of records. Yes, I confirm the accounts are the same.Regards
Graham
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

fansf1fcbe4d Posted at 2017-1-26 01:26
HI Thanks for your reply. I hope to test it again today and will  see what I can do in respect of the screenshot and syncing of records. Yes, I confirm the accounts are the same.Regards
Graham

Is that a genuine OEM DJI intelligent flight battery, or a counterfeit unit?

Certainly a strange or an odd behaviour. Did it only happen the one time?

RedHotPoker
2017-1-26
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-26 01:30
Is that a genuine OEM DJI intelligent flight battery, or a counterfeit unit?

Certainly a strange or an odd behaviour. Did it only happen the one time?

Hi, Thanks for your comment, yes it was strange and was a bit thought provoking at the time. Actually it has  happened three times hence my post. It is a genuine battery which I bought with the machine from a well known dealer.
Today was the first chance I have had to fly it again, this after the complete draining down of the battery and full  recharge followed by the latest Firmnware update with that battery installed. Result -  it seems ok again now. So, really I do  not know what the issue was,nor whether my actions have fixed it and will be cautious in case it happens again. As mentioned before, it was not a one off issue, but we shall see. I shall update with screenshots etc as requested by Natalia if it happens again.
Thanks for your interest
2017-1-27
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Natalia, Further to your request, I have now flown the battery after a complete draining and recharge with the new Firmware installed with that battery in place. Today's flight was perfectly normal! I doubt whether my actions will have resolved the matter, but if the problem returns, I shall provide a screenshot and up to date flight records so we may explore this further. I have taken screenshots on this last flight but clearly, they would  seem to be superfluous at the moment. I shall monitor and advise in the future if there is a repetition of this issue. As it has done this three times so far, I shall need a  little time to be satisfied that all is well.
Many thanks for your help to date,
Regards
Graham
2017-1-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansf1fcbe4d Posted at 2017-1-27 03:06
Hi, Thanks for your comment, yes it was strange and was a bit thought provoking at the time. Actually it has  happened three times hence my post. It is a genuine battery which I bought with the machine from a well known dealer.
Today was the first chance I have had to fly it again, this after the complete draining down of the battery and full  recharge followed by the latest Firmnware update with that battery installed. Result -  it seems ok again now. So, really I do  not know what the issue was,nor whether my actions have fixed it and will be cautious in case it happens again. As mentioned before, it was not a one off issue, but we shall see. I shall update with screenshots etc as requested by Natalia if it happens again.
Thanks for your interest

Please visit www.healthydrones.com

Eh, As well http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Upload the flight LOG from that last time it happened and you can get a pretty detailed explanation of even the battery behaviour for it. Then you and others here will have a chance to analyze them & contribute helpful thoughts, which shall give you consideration for pause or pleasure. Hopefully the deep cycle of the battery was a positive influence in correcting that baffling battery behaviour.

I want to see what the valuable battery details reveal to you. It may also be helpful for others here, to realize, that deep cycling these intelligent flight battery packs will indeed be a beneficial practice, and not something that's a matter of personal pilot preference. ;-)

Thanks for taking the time, to go through the simple steps, to get those LOG files published.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-27
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-27 10:22
Please visit www.healthydrones.com

Eh, As well http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Hi Thanks, very useful information . I didn't realise there was so much information contained in the flight logs. I shall explore.....

Regards

Graham
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansf1fcbe4d Posted at 2017-1-28 00:22
Hi Thanks, very useful information . I didn't realise there was so much information contained in the flight logs. I shall explore.....

Regards

Yes, it's all in there.

The drone is much smarter than we might believe, & has a micro chip which has been programmed to receive. ;-)
Please Share the links here, when you have completed the upload to those two helpful websites.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-28
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-28 00:44
Yes, it's all in there.

The drone is much smarter than we might believe, & has a micro chip which has been programmed to receive. ;-)

Hello again, Yes I will thanks, I am also posting a reply to Natalia inviting her to  look at my flight records as clearly there is more there than I thought.
I will update when I get more info, thanks again,
Graham
2017-1-28
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello  Natalia,

Further to my last contacts, I confirm my last flight test with this battery was normal -  after a deep recycle and firmware upgrade. However, 'Red Hot Poker' has started a train of thought with me. I realise now my earlier records may be of value to  you in assessing the problem and whether any action is required.
I have siynced my flight records and the address and login are as per this account. If you look at the records for 18 January 2017, you  will see 4 flights. Three were short  -  1 - 2 mins duration and you  will clearly see  what happened. Initially, with 50% battery power remaining, a warning was displayed indicating that Propulsion power was being limited to preserve the battery, shortly after the Critical warning came up saying it was landing.
Subsequent examination of my Settings showed the Critical warning was set to 10%, the cautionary level was 30%, I have since changed that back to 20%. At no time in these flights did I get anywhere near these levels -  as you  will  see. The last flight was after a battery change and I managed 15 minutes on that one. I hope this helps.
I don't know if the number on the battery helps but it is given here anyway,
2017-1-28
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yes, it's all in there.

WEll, I have carried out the action for the first option and this is the file s result -  pretty lengthy but it tells the story  of the conflict I had between actual  voltage and the messages -  I am not too  sure I am any further forward yet but will try the other link as well.
OK THanks deleted and uploaded the file into Healthy Drones. That is interesting and seem to confirm the battery is OK,
Thanks

2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansf1fcbe4d Posted at 2017-1-28 03:18
WEll, I have carried out the action for the first option and this is the file s result -  pretty lengthy but it tells the story  of the conflict I had between actual  voltage and the messages -  I am not too  sure I am any further forward yet but will try the other link as well.
Time        Flight Mode        GPS        Altitude        Speed        Home Distance        Battery        Battery Voltage        Cell 1        Cell 2        Cell 3        Cell 4        Cell Deviation        Message
0m 0.9s        P-GPS        18satellites        0ft        0mph        0ft        50%        15.239V        3.805V        3.805V        3.821V        3.808V        0.016V        

Yeah, please just share the link to the LOG files, you don't need to post all that info in your thread.
It's much easier to read on the website it originated.

Besides, there are other options on their websites to view as well.

Yeah, that's unreadable on my iPad screen, lines wraparound, the way it's been presented here.
Perhaps delete all of that and simply share the link. Thanks.

RedHotPoker

2017-1-28
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-28 04:15
Yeah, please just share the link to the LOG files, you don't need to post all that info in your thread.
It's much easier to read on the website it originated.

OK here is the link - http://healthydrones.com/main?share=PpmCyx  it was only a short flight but hopefully the data will be of interest. THanks Red Hot Poker for the info
2017-1-28
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Yes, it's all in there.

"micro chip which has been programmed to receive. ;-)"

You can check out anytime you like.... but you can never leave.  ;)
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sasquad Posted at 2017-1-28 07:32
"micro chip which has been programmed to receive. ;-)"

You can check out anytime you like.... but you can never leave.  ;)

Not my first laugh of the day, but the hardiest... Thanks. Haha

Yeah, I had to. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansf1fcbe4d Posted at 2017-1-28 04:57
OK here is the link - http://healthydrones.com/main?share=PpmCyx  it was only a short flight but hopefully the data will be of interest. THanks Red Hot Poker for the info

There ya go... ;-)

Where is the www.phantomhelp.com LOG info?

RedHotPoker
2017-1-28
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-28 12:06
There ya go... ;-)

Where is the www.phantomhelp.com LOG info?

I think this is the link you mentioned, http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/226YZVEKXD0OXKYBJAN2/
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Soooo, decent satalite connection, but you took off with your flight battery at 50% charge?
That's generally a no no. It's wise to top off battery packs before Taking Off on flights. Bad things often happen, as you experienced yourself.

I'm not sure what else to say. Flight was too short, to get much good info. Charge them packs before you fly....

RedHotPoker
2017-1-28
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

Taking off with less than full charge is not recommended
You were also low on battery temp. I believe 25c is minimum, 77*f. 15c is no start. You were 64f
It limited you to propulsion output.
Your one battery cell had 11.4 deviations which can be a sign of future problems.
if a cell drops to 3.0volts it will shut down the battery
There isn't enough data for such a short flight to give more details

2017-1-28
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-28 13:31
Soooo, decent satalite connection, but you took off with your flight battery at 50% charge?
That's generally a no no. It's wise to top off battery packs before Taking Off on flights. Bad things often happen, as you experienced yourself.

Hi thanks for your thoughts, I normally do have a full  charge but this had self depleted and for the small requirement I had I figured it better to run it down - clearly it seems not a good idea? I had thought it better for the battery to  run it down and take a full charge rather than have a series of short top ups. Evidently this may not be the case? THe  flights were certainly short,  I had intended them to  be longer but for the fact of the issues experienced. I changed battery after these incidents and flew with no problems -  but that did have a full charge.

So, always happy to  learn and my thanks to you  both. I note the comments too about battery temperature, this is  Scotland and I try to keep in practice despite the climate!!

Thanks again
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, once a battery begins the auto discharge, exact voltage can be tricky to predict. Even by pressing its power button once, or while reading the voltage in the app.
The battery info in the app can be extremely helpful, but it's not exact enough to trust, with flying on a sufficiently depleted battery.  Which you have at 50%, that was very low.
You never mentioned that the errant battery was already down at 50% in the opening post of this thread. ;-)

Oh well, now you/we know. Not even for a selfie... Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-28
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Between making sure the battery had the latest firmware on it and full cycling the battery was probably the answer, the latter probably recalibrating the charge to voltage tables.
Incidentally, bringing down the battery to 0 charge as per the app/indicators and even storing it there for a few days won't cause as much harm as many are led to believe.   LiPos can handle low voltage down to near 3.0V.   When the intelligent batteries say they are down to zero charge, they have about 3.5V on them, well above the threshold that tends to cause damage to capacity.
2017-1-28
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-28 17:13
Between making sure the battery had the latest firmware on it and full cycling the battery was probably the answer, the latter probably recalibrating the charge to voltage tables.
Incidentally, bringing down the battery to 0 charge as per the app/indicators and even storing it there for a few days won't cause as much harm as many are led to believe.   LiPos can handle low voltage down to near 3.0V.   When the intelligent batteries say they are down to zero charge, they have about 3.5V on them, well above the threshold that tends to cause damage to capacity.

Well, thanks again Red Hot Poker, Danman and others. This has been a useful  session -  proves the value of the Forum I think. Yes, it is true I didn't mention the 50% thing - I didn't realise it was so  relevant but thanks. I shall now run a test on that battery from its last satisfactory flight to  see how it differs.
One final point now and that is recharging. I have indicated that I try to  do  full recharges rather than small top ups after depletion. Is there a figure of the actual charge state below which the battery actually records it being charged as apposed to  a top up? To  clarify, I have kept a spreadsheet of my batteries recharging and deep cycling since I started. I now note that I am indicating more recharges on the spreadsheet than the battery claims. I think the one we have been looking at reckons it has had 25 charge cycles whereas I thought it was 33. I hope this makes sense!
Regards

Graham
2017-1-29
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

On a related note, I have been under the assumption that the battery would cut out at what it deems 0% charge, or about 14V total, but apparently if you leave the AC on, it will go down to as low as around 12V.  I didn't intend to let it go down that low in determining when it would cut out, and only one cell went near 3V, the other 3 were at around 3.1.   Waiting for one battery to finish charging so I can quickly get this one back to normal parameters.
So does anyone know at what point the intelligent battery will indeed shut off when the voltages get way too low?   As I said I assumed it would be around 3.4V but apparently that is not the case.
At least you can't run the motors if the % charge is below 10%.

In any case, as long as you don't go below 0% (14V), you are not in danger of harming the battery, particularly if you charge it soon after.
2017-1-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I use the onboard flight SiM to drain down batteries below flight voltages.

The battery charges counted, are considered full charges, so you'd need to top them up several times for it to show up as one charge, on the record in the app. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-29
Use props
fansf1fcbe4d
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-29 18:49
I use the onboard flight SiM to drain down batteries below flight voltages.

The battery charges counted, are considered full charges, so you'd need to top them up several times for it to show up as one charge, on the record in the app. ;-)

OK, thanks for that. Regarding draining down, I try to fly it for as long as possible - generally down to 20% then just leave the battery on until it dies. It can be a useful time to view the album or change settings etc to speed up the draining process. A pity the manual does not  give much info about battery use.
2017-1-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansf1fcbe4d Posted at 2017-1-30 00:24
OK, thanks for that. Regarding draining down, I try to fly it for as long as possible - generally down to 20% then just leave the battery on until it dies. It can be a useful time to view the album or change settings etc to speed up the draining process. A pity the manual does not  give much info about battery use.

There are some devices available that drain down the batteries as well, but I don't find those necessary.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules