Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Don’t Mess Up Your Night Shots!
22630 60 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanscbe312e7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306722 ft
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-1-20 06:26
I wonder how that shot was made in focus. With such light, I cannot focus at all...

I believe I saw a manual focus setting in the dji go 4 app which might allow better focus in low light, haven't tried it so just a thought.
2017-1-23
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Thanks Mindy!
2017-1-23
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Nees Posted at 2017-1-20 06:26
I wonder how that shot was made in focus. With such light, I cannot focus at all...

Use manual focus.
2017-1-23
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Impossible, tried. You cannot see what is in focus. Infinity is even completely out of focus when I tried. Which shouldn't be the case at 100m height.
2017-1-24
Use props
zerubeusy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108547 ft

United Kingdom

I turn this off anyway or I'll be locked off by the cops :3
2017-1-24
Use props
KameronaTm
lvl.1
United States

How do you get it to focus at night?  I can't find the manual focus option either
2017-1-24
Use props
browncoat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12497 ft
United States

Great tips guys. thanks for all the useful info.
2017-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job..
2017-1-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

To use Manual Focus you first must enable it under General Settings, then, when connected to the Mavic, you'll see the interface change to show an AF/MF icon to the left of the AE Lock icon. I'd also turn on Peak Focussing because it'll be hard to focus at night, anyway.
2017-1-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-1-24 02:01
Impossible, tried. You cannot see what is in focus. Infinity is even completely out of focus when I tried. Which shouldn't be the case at 100m height.

I read somewhere (DJI Mavic FAQ, maybe?) that you can't change the slider to infinity and expect focus to actually be at infinity. I think what they're trying to say is that the manual control can overshoot infinity, but I haven't tested this myself. Turn on focus peaking, that should help a lot.
2017-1-26
Use props
Dr. One
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2673110 ft
Japan

I have only flown this new drone about 12 times and maybe i am just missing something but from the first dozen floights i would have to say that
I really am unimpressed with the camera quality with the mavic even though the specs say that they are almost identical i have the phantom 3 4k pro since it came out.

i have not been able to match the quality of the phantom 3 pro with the mavic.  

Night flying is not the same.  I can barely see a thing on the phone screen.  Its a little better when watching the sd card images.

Even when there was a little bit of light, with the phantom 3, I would be able to get a decent video and almost always be able to get a great shot by switching the ISO and/or the Shutter speed. On the Mavic Pro there is no way to manually switch the iso and shutter speed with the right trigger slider.  on the phantom 3 you could press it in and it would switch between the ISO and the Shutter speed... which would allow you to quickly and safely get the right camera settings for whatever light conditions there might be.   
is there an option to switch between those 2 settings like the phantom 3 does on the controller?  or do i have to go let go of the controller with one hand to touch the screen and switch between ISO and Shutter Speed?
What about the same question for the focusing of the camera (in both video and photos)?  do i have to let go of the controller  and touch the screen every time i want to get a clear shot? (its ok in auto mode but kind of annoying that you have to constantly be touching the screen)

then in video mode the light seems to be pulsating - i thought this would be the case on the screen but it translated over to the sd card and looks ok but not anywhere near the phantom 3 videos i can get.

Yes the lights are automatically turning off during my shot.
Yes I am in manual Mode and switching to auto mode to see if that makes any difference.  
Yes of course, there's a little better picture on the low light shots with the manual mode but nothing as good as the Phantom 3 (or 4 or inspire i would imagine).

- am I missing something?

- is the camera that much worse on the mavic?  

- do i have a faulty camera on my mavic?  

- any tips for commanding the camera to take better night shots?  (besides the obvious "light needs to be off " suggestion)

sorry for long post but those were all my night flying questions and opinions wrapped up into one post.  thanks for the future reply!
2017-1-28
Use props
fans9553217f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Brela Posted at 2017-1-20 05:26
This is a useful tip.

Wish I had my Mavic which I ordered 1st of November from Drones Direct so I could make use of it.

Watch out for DD, because they may suddenly become very unhelpful. In my case, the P3P had a motor fail and they claimed 6 month in that it was out of warranty. None of my paperwork or terms showed this. They ignore all my attempts to contact them. Lovely people.
2017-1-29
Use props
Brela
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5755 ft
United Kingdom

fans9553217f Posted at 2017-1-29 03:42
Watch out for DD, because they may suddenly become very unhelpful. In my case, the P3P had a motor fail and they claimed 6 month in that it was out of warranty. None of my paperwork or terms showed this. They ignore all my attempts to contact them. Lovely people.

That's not good - Did you manage to resolve this?
2017-1-30
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Thanks for the tips, I am learning like crazy.
2017-1-31
Use props
ForrestFlyer
New

United States

thanks for the tip
2017-2-2
Use props
Saskebaby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1017989 ft
Philippines

Thanks DJI Mindy...
2017-2-2
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-1-20 08:13
Nice tip. Is there a way to manually focus the Mavic Pro? Low light hampers the autofocus feature.

top right next to the iso, shutter speed there is an AF/MF toggle just press that once and you will be able to focus manually. Best way I found as AF at night is not very accurate.
2017-3-3
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I kind of like the red lights in my shot. I thought it had a neat effect :-)
2017-3-31
Use props
JJLMSU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37457 ft
United States

Good stuff, thanks.
2018-1-6
Use props
tjalex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

Thanks for sharing.. i have phantom 3 advance, mavic pro and phantom 4 pro.. soon i would like to video and take night pictures..
2018-9-15
Use props
tjalex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

what is the best settings for night video..if i use phantom 4 pro. thanks
2018-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now