Cold weather / battery question
1797 12 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Hello!

Im kinda new in this wonderful experience that is the P3S Loving it.

Today was about to start a new flight and was very cold outiside (about 7º celsius). The DJI GO app was telling me to warm up the battery to 25º celsius. I've tried to put inside my jacket for about 15 minutes to heat up. But still was getting the warning.

So i've decided to not take off.

My question is.. It is dangerous? it  have somehting that i need to worry about to take off in that conditions? or simply the bird won't take off because of that?

Thanks in advance!

2017-1-20
Use props
Microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

I have flown many times with the air temperatures at -15F (-26C)  with no issues at all.  You just don't leave your unused battery out in the cold, keep it warm before flight.

One trick to warm up your battery to avoid that warning is to get some hand warmers.
https://www.amazon.com/camping-h ... 8&node=14329821

2017-1-20
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Microcyb Posted at 2017-1-20 08:31
I have flown many times with the air temperatures at -15F (-26C)  with no issues at all.  You just don't leave your unused battery out in the cold, keep it warm before flight.

One trick to warm up your battery to avoid that warning is to get some hand warmers.

oh nice. Thanks for the feedback.

Those hand warmers you recommended  are disposable? or have multiple uses?

i've saw some "usb powered socks" arround the web to warm feet... Maybe the battery fits inside? (same shape as feet ? lol)

Thanks again
2017-1-20
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Microcyb Posted at 2017-1-20 08:31

Remember that the battery will gain or increase in temperature when the Phantom is flying. There is no chance of it getting too cold when flying in the colder weather. They put this precaution in the latest versions of the firmware to avoid a cold battery getting a large amp draw on it and damaging itself. I am guessing someone must have a bad experience at some point. You don't have to warm it up much, but if you just leave it in your cold car, it will prompt you to warm it up. Try turning on your heater on your car and hold the battery in front of the vent for a short time. It don't have to be warm to the touch per say. You won't want it to become to warm either, or you'll get an error that it is too warm......so don't just leave it in front of the heater vent too long.
2017-1-20
Use props
Microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

leonardo.sb Posted at 2017-1-20 08:43
oh nice. Thanks for the feedback.

Those hand warmers you recommended  are disposable? or have multiple uses?

Disposable, but cheap.
2017-1-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Pretend your battery is your pet squirrel.  If you keep him warm and happy, he will be lots of fun to play with.  If you let him get cold, he won't be happy and he might bite you.

See this vid starting at the 7:00 mark:  
2017-1-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There are also DJI battery warmers available to help maintain your intelligent flight packs at appropriate safe operation temperatures.
For $20.00, a cheap price to pay for feeling at ease.
https://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-battery-heater image.jpeg
RedHotPoker

2017-1-20
Use props
SimonH78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can just and hover "low down directly in front" of you for a minute or so, land a re do the take-off . Usually warms the lipo up enough so you don't get the warning on the screen.
2017-1-20
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

so many useful information!  thanks to all!

will follow all your advice and even think about to buy the dji official heater.

thanks again fellas
2017-1-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Another trick if you need to drive somewhere is to place an ordinary red brick in the kitchen oven for a while at its lowest setting, then put it in a small cooler with your battery and with towels on top.  The brick will radiate heat for quite a while.  
2017-1-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The Boot and hand warmers, as mentioned are cheap enough, to buy a dozen,  and some are even reusable.
Just place your flight packs in warm socks and keep them next to the warmers, until ready to use.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-20
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-1-20 10:44
Another trick if you need to drive somewhere is to place an ordinary red brick in the kitchen oven for a while at its lowest setting, then put it in a small cooler with your battery and with towels on top.  The brick will radiate heat for quite a while.

that's creative thanks!
2017-1-20
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

On a different post a guy got the warning and flew anyway, his drone fell out of the sky off the side of a mountain or something. I got the error before and tried to ignore it but it would not let me fly until I warmed the battery up.
2017-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules