Mavic Gimbal shake and tilted horizon when turning/panning
6974 23 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bryanmones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1234 ft
United States

My mavic pro has gimbal shake and tilted horizon when turning side to side or panning to left and right. Is this normal? any advice? Please let me know.

The video below you can notice the gimbal shake and it tilts the horizon everytime I turn side to side or pan to right/left.

Shot the video with 4k/30fps

Please help!

same problem with this guy:

2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would suggest a gimbal calibration on flat ground and make mellow smooth turns.
You can also adjust gimbal settings.
2017-1-20
Use props
bryanmones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1234 ft
United States

How about the gimbal shake? Is that normal?
2017-1-21
Use props
Guidilloo
lvl.1
Australia

I have the same issue, i changed the settings for gimbal and controller sensitivity,
imu and gimbal calibration on flat ground
nothing helps
did you sort it out?
2017-2-13
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-20 11:43
I would suggest a gimbal calibration on flat ground and make mellow smooth turns.

DJI Ken,

Is this normal to have the horizon tilt when making turns? You state to make mellow turns to avoid this. Surley seems the gimbal sould be able to compensate for fast turns.....at least a 180 over 15 seconds.. I'm having the same issue.

Thanks for the support!
2017-2-13
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-20 11:43

Ken,  

I forgot to ask....you state "you can also adjust the gimbal settings". I've taken quite a bit of time to familiarize myself with all gimbal setting and don't see any that would affect the rotation axis that would help a horizon problem where it tilts when turning, then appears to autocorrect. Is there an adjustment I haven't seen? The faster the turn the more it tilts. Haven't seen this on other dji drones.
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans06b77ccc Posted at 2017-2-13 04:53
DJI Ken,

Is this normal to have the horizon tilt when making turns? You state to make mellow turns to avoid this. Surley seems the gimbal sould be able to compensate for fast turns.....at least a 180 over 15 seconds.. I'm having the same issue.

150° in 15 seconds is not a fast pan and the camera should stay level. Are you on the latest firmware and perform a compass calibration.
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans06b77ccc Posted at 2017-2-13 05:00
Ken,  

I forgot to ask....you state "you can also adjust the gimbal settings". I've taken quite a bit of time to familiarize myself with all gimbal setting and don't see any that would affect the rotation axis that would help a horizon problem where it tilts when turning, then appears to autocorrect. Is there an adjustment I haven't seen? The faster the turn the more it tilts. Haven't seen this on other dji drones.

Same as lat post, perform another gimbal calibration.
Also, there's a Synchronized gimbal pan follow, that will make fast turns smoother.
And for gimbal roll adjustments on the fly you can hold down C2 then turn the exposure dial.
But it also adjusts exposure so you'll have to correct that with the wheel after you've let go of the C2 button.
2017-2-13
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

This is known issue. Its been there from the Phantom 3 days.. DJI is going to give you the run around of doing calibrations and stuff. Its not going to help. Just google DJI tilted Horizon and you'll see.
DJI has never acknowledged this issue so i doubt there ever will be fix.... I have the same problem on my P3P and on my Mavic (which i was stupid to buy to be honest, it has garbage video!)
2017-2-13
Use props
Frasercrenshaw
New

United States

It seems like DJI actually is acknowledging this issue in certain cases?  I've jumped through all the calibration hoops and mine still is exhibiting this problem.  I'm getting ready to ship it back to them for assessment and just cross my fingers that it comes back fixed.  I was using a couple of P3P's professionally for a number of years and never had this issue.  I guess some of them are fine and some have gimbal problems.  

Can anyone say that they had the horizon issues and actually fixed it, either by calibrations or by sending it back?
2017-2-13
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try to calibrate the gimbal
2017-2-13
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-13 09:11
150° in 15 seconds is not a fast pan and the camera should stay level. Are you on the latest firmware and perform a compass calibration.

Yes,

I'm on latest firmware and both compass and IMU calibrations  performed. 20 degree tilt when doing 80 degree turn in 30 seconds.  Is it normal for the horizon to tilt at all when turning? So many reports on this.
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans06b77ccc Posted at 2017-2-13 19:39
Yes,

I'm on latest firmware and both compass and IMU calibrations  performed. 20 degree tilt when doing 80 degree turn in 30 seconds.  Is it normal for the horizon to tilt at all when turning? So many reports on this.

Mine does not, if it's not operating as it should then please contact repair and send it in for evaluation.
https://www.dji.com/service/repair
2017-2-13
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-13 20:52
Mine does not, if it's not operating as it should then please contact repair and send it in for evaluation.
https://www.dji.com/service/repair

Thanks Ken!  Truthfully I hesitate to send my mavic in for repair because I've heard so many horror stories.  Do they normally try to repair and sent back the same one? I don't want to get a swap from someone else that's had a problem. Everything else appears fine on and I want to assure mine is truely having an issue that would be considered not within the normal range of correct operation prior to returning it.

There are many reports of the tilted horizons when turning. Some correct in time, some not. Some appear more severe than others. Some folks appear to just accept it and say it's normal.  I believe a lot of it is the way people are reporting it. You say your mavic "does not". Does the horizon ALWAYS" stay level regardless of how quickly and how long a period you turn? Just trying to clarify what is normal and what should be accepted as not right.

Thanks Again for your support and time.
2017-2-14
Use props
Frasercrenshaw
New

United States

I am hesitant to be overly optimistic, but-  just went through recalibration of everything one more time- IMU, gimbal, compass, and along with new firmware update this morning it seems to have improved.  I'll take it out for some more flying this afternoon.  If it's not fixed entirely it's at least notably better.  
2017-2-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans06b77ccc Posted at 2017-2-14 09:09
Thanks Ken!  Truthfully I hesitate to send my mavic in for repair because I've heard so many horror stories.  Do they normally try to repair and sent back the same one? I don't want to get a swap from someone else that's had a problem. Everything else appears fine on and I want to assure mine is truely having an issue that would be considered not within the normal range of correct operation prior to returning it.

There are many reports of the tilted horizons when turning. Some correct in time, some not. Some appear more severe than others. Some folks appear to just accept it and say it's normal.  I believe a lot of it is the way people are reporting it. You say your mavic "does not". Does the horizon ALWAYS" stay level regardless of how quickly and how long a period you turn? Just trying to clarify what is normal and what should be accepted as not right.

I can pan slow or full deflection left to right and slow or fast 306's and the gimbal stays level for me.
2017-2-14
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-14 10:41
I can pan slow or full deflection left to right and slow or fast 306's and the gimbal stays level for me.

Is this true when  while moving forward at 20 mph and making a quick turn? Horizon stays level regardless of forward speed or speed or tirn?
2017-2-14
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

Frasercrenshaw Posted at 2017-2-14 09:29
I am hesitant to be overly optimistic, but-  just went through recalibration of everything one more time- IMU, gimbal, compass, and along with new firmware update this morning it seems to have improved.  I'll take it out for some more flying this afternoon.  If it's not fixed entirely it's at least notably better.

Thanks for the update! Please give us an update after further testing, especially for results when moving forward the turning quickly.

They didn't mention a change to the gimbal accuracy with the latest FW released today so maybe your success had to do with the calibration of the IMU.
2017-2-14
Use props
fans1c1296f5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been having the tilted horizon issue as well. I just updated my Mavic and will give it a try tomorrow morning. I will also be making a video about it. Mine is more visible when flying sideways.
2017-2-14
Use props
Fernanditu
lvl.2

Peru

I have the same problem with the tilted horizon after panning. Anyway I would rather deal with it than sending my mavic back to dji for repair.
2017-2-14
Use props
SeanOzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 612405 ft
  • >>>
United States

hey, Ken is 100% right. the gimbal should not tilt when going side to side and turning.

i have had the same issue and everyone i have spoken to at Dji (4 people) have all wanted me to do an exchange.
so i am sending mine back for an exchange (it's weird packing up the whole fly more combo and not just the mavic box but that's what they asked for.
i know a few others who DO NOT have this sort of tilt issue.
i think it is great DJi is doing exchanges or repairs depending what you ask for in this.

here is a video i made to help reach out.
i've gotten tons of emails and people reaching out with similar issues. many have gotten their replacements and they worked 100% perfectly.
so fingers crossed the 1st replacement does it's job like ken's personal unit!

2017-2-14
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tilted horizon issues, aside, the second issue cited on this string was "Gimbal Shake." What I'm seeing during the fast panning is actually the stutter we have come to expect from a 30 fps rate with fast shutter (180 rule needs to be applied here). Slow pans will yield better results.  The bummer with the Mavic is that the only good video occurs at 2.7K or 4K and frame rate still needs to be addressed with a slower shutter speed (2X frame rate) to allow for a natural blur.  So, that's what I'm seeing relative to "Gimbal Shake."  Fortunately, my Mavic's gimbal is good in all respects.  However, the P4P is another matter, relative to tilted horizon...
2017-2-19
Use props
fans1c1296f5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the video I made about the horizon tilt and othe gimbal issues I am having.

https://youtu.be/Driym5K-LzE
2017-2-20
Use props
TGX1138
New
Flight distance : 64265 ft
Germany

SeanOzz Posted at 2017-2-14 23:09
hey, Ken is 100% right. the gimbal should not tilt when going side to side and turning.

i have had the same issue and everyone i have spoken to at Dji (4 people) have all wanted me to do an exchange.

Hi Sean, it's been a couple of months since you've posted. Just wand to ask if you got your Mavic back and if the problem is solved?

Thanks
Tommy
2017-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules