Moire test with X5S please!
833 6 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Can anybody with a I2 and X5S do a video moire check please?  When slowly flying over a corrugated (metal) roof or videoing a security (steel) fence with a lot of closely placed upright bars it usually will quickly supply you with the detail.  Please!  I'd really like to know how much moire the X5S has....

2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

There are some customers that have done similar tests thus far in this forum, have you tried looking around?
2017-1-20
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

You will get moire with any camera if there is an interaction between movement between frames, spatial frequency of the grating you are imaging, the resolution of the sensor and the FOV of the lens. Each of these variables can influence how moire appears. As such, moire is not a useful indicator of the quality of the camera. If you have been professionally filmed before, this is why the DP /producer will advise you not to wear finely patterned clothing e.g with herringbone patterns etc.  Over the same feature containing patterned high contrast geometry, a skilled videographer will adjust to accomodate speed of flight /distance from object to minimize moire
2017-1-20
Use props
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
South Africa

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-20 18:37
You will get moire with any camera if there is an interaction between movement between frames, spatial frequency of the grating you are imaging, the resolution of the sensor and the FOV of the lens. Each of these variables can influence how moire appears. As such, moire is not a useful indicator of the quality of the camera. If you have been professionally filmed before, this is why the DP /producer will advise you not to wear finely patterned clothing e.g with herringbone patterns etc.  Over the same feature containing patterned high contrast geometry, a skilled videographer will adjust to accomodate speed of flight /distance from object to minimize moire

For the past 10 years I've mostly videoed  professionally - not filmed.  I know both film and video.  And while the DP can direct the "actors" what to wear, he / she has in many cases very little to say about the client chosen location.   Not all cameras - including mirrorless  (and therefore M4/3 such as the X5S) has the same moire patterns.  In this regard the Sony A7S (full frame) has much less of an issue with moire than the GH4 (M4/3).  Hence my request for a real world X5S moire test (by flying over a corrugated roof).

Thanks for (the now well known) explanation of what moire is and factors that cause it.  My humble request was for a real world X5S moire test to determine how it will fit into my daily operation (to mainly switch to the X5S or not to).  

When one buys a car, it can be test driven.  A camera?  Your dealer will let you try a demo.  The I2 with X5S?  (I can only rely on current owners for input)
2017-1-20
Use props
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
South Africa

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 15:56
There are some customers that have done similar tests thus far in this forum, have you tried looking around?

Not really seen any more or less dealing with this specifically....
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

JWC P4 P Posted at 2017-1-20 22:53
Not really seen any....

This user had done a few tests overall that may help with what you're looking for. http://forum.dji.com/thread-79795-1-1.html
2017-1-20
Use props
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
South Africa

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 22:55
This user had done a few tests overall that may help with what you're looking for. http://forum.dji.com/thread-79795-1-1.html

Thanks VERY much!  Maybe there will be some others looking into this now too.  Very annoying issue to pick up in an otherwise great shoot!
2017-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules