Anyone using the GPS module for Inspire 2 Radio Controller?
2064 9 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geo66
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an advantage in using the plugin GPS module for the Inspire 2 RC compared to using the built in GPS on the smart device which in my case is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" (SM-T813). I've already got my Inspire 2 and I'm now looking into extras...
[url=https://store.dji.com/product/in ... troller#/?_k=c16jtn]DJI Store GPS Module Page[/url]

Apart from battery life of the tablet the only advanatage I can think of is an increase of GPS sensitivity assuming the GPS module is better quality than the built in Samsung component.

2017-1-20
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

YES. Im currently developing an applications that uses 4G for control and as such the R/C handset is not controlling the I2 at the location so i need an accurate fix on the R/C available to update the RTH location if problems are found whilst inflight. We send to the I2 location updates from the R/C over the 4G . The I2 thinks its being controlled at the R/C location but in fact the real controller is many miles away. There is a thread on Inspirepilots where i have explained a "little" of the app design but i wont mention it too much here   
2017-1-20
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

This feature is useful when you are using 'Follow Me' as when controlling from a moving vehicle. To engage this advanced feature, DJI has set the threshold of GPS location very high so that short of absolutely perfect conditions, GPS input from the smartphone will elicit a 'weak GPS signal' message from the Go App.  The use of a dedicated high sensitivity GPS sensor is intended to minimise complaints about failed tracking, which could lead to a catastrophic loss of aircraft when filming from a moving vehicle (and changing home point)
2017-1-20
Use props
Geo66
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for the info guys.
I'd heard a little about controlling the Inspire 2 over cellular network, very cool.

I haven't used the 'Follow Me' function yet but I'm not surprised it requires good signal lock, DJI are playing it safe.  If the GPS module is going to be more sensitive than my tablet system then I'll buy it.
Tablet GPS supports A-GPS and GLONASS but that's all I could find out.

It's a pity this £30 accessory couldn't have been built into the controller, I hate loose wires. I thought the Inspire 1 RC had built in GPS?
2017-1-21
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Geo66 Posted at 2017-1-21 03:26
I'd heard a little about controlling the Inspire 2 over cellular network, very cool.

On Inspire 1 the GPS was built in to the RC, it was in the front of the RC,  since pilots are using tablets it obstructed the GPS from a clear view of the sky so reception was very spotty. By relocating the GPS to the top of the device holder it would get better reception. Just a shame it was not included in the purchase and maybe had a better routing of cables.
2017-1-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-1-20 16:40
YES. Im currently developing an applications that uses 4G for control and as such the R/C handset is not controlling the I2 at the location so i need an accurate fix on the R/C available to update the RTH location if problems are found whilst inflight. We send to the I2 location updates from the R/C over the 4G . The I2 thinks its being controlled at the R/C location but in fact the real controller is many miles away. There is a thread on Inspirepilots where i have explained a "little" of the app design but i wont mention it too much here

Is that not something that is coming out in the future , or did  I miss something?  I thought the Cell network  4G for control of the Aircraft and the video was a something in the pipeline .  Are you saying there is something NOW that you can use to control the Inspire 2 via the cell network .  Sorry ,I am confused on this .  

donnie
2017-1-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Geo66 Posted at 2017-1-21 03:26

My I pad Pro with cell and GPS works flawlessly here in Michigan USA, I have never had a problem in follow me mode .

Donnie
2017-1-21
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-21 06:05
My I pad Pro with cell and GPS works flawlessly here in Michigan USA, I have never had a problem in follow me mode .

Donnie

Donnie, think the GPS module is only needed for people with WIFI only devices, as you say tablets/phones with a good GPS works fine without the GPS module.

I am not sure but DJI might change the code in future updates,  so that it would pull the GPS data through the Can bus port rather then from tablet/phone. If that changes it would be necessary to have the GPS module.
2017-1-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-1-21 08:20
Donnie, think the GPS module is only needed for people with WIFI only devices, as you say tablets/phones with a good GPS works fine without the GPS module.

I am not sure but DJI might change the code in future updates,  so that it would pull the GPS data through the Can bus port rather then from tablet/phone. If that changes it would be necessary to have the GPS module.

Oh , Ok - I get it now  , thanks for the explanation .

donnie
2017-1-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-21 06:05

Donnie

Follow me does not work in places I have tested. Singapore, New Zealand. Weak GPS signal and I was using only an iPhone for vision.
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules